Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this 03 for about almost two years now. The only thing I miss about the 07 I had was the gas mileage, it got 50-55 consistently, no matter how hard I was on it.

My bike has at least 25K miles on it. Just going through and seeing what the culprit is for my poor (33-38 mpg) mileage. I get the same mileage when I ride hard as when I take it easy (at least it seems that way).

Maintenance Items - Date of last check:
Air Filter - Stock, changed in August, still clean
Oil - Amsoil Full Synthetic @ 19k miles, below F and L.
Coolant - Unknown, topped off last week.
Valve Clearance - Approx. @ 15k miles by PO
Chain and Sprockets - 2k miles, Last May, 15/44, Dupont lube weekly, EK Gold 420
Chain Slack - Checked weekly
Spark Plugs - New NGK plugs in Sep. 06
TPS - Set by PO, never messed with
Idle speed - 1.2k rpm
TRE - Done in September '06.

What else can I be missing here? I feel like it's running a bit rich.

Bout to drop the engine for a cam swap, busa pistons, new plugs, valve clearance check... might as well get some more maintenance items in while we're at it.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
So I've had this 03 for about almost two years now. The only thing I miss about the 07 I had was the gas mileage, it got 50-55 consistently, no matter how hard I was on it.

My bike has at least 25K miles on it. Just going through and seeing what the culprit is for my poor (33-38 mpg) mileage. I get the same mileage when I ride hard as when I take it easy (at least it seems that way).

Maintenance Items - Date of last check:
Air Filter - Stock, changed in August, still clean
Oil - Amsoil Full Synthetic @ 19k miles, below F and L.
Coolant - Unknown, topped off last week.
Valve Clearance - Approx. @ 15k miles by PO
Chain and Sprockets - 2k miles, Last May, 15/44, Dupont lube weekly, EK Gold 420
Chain Slack - Checked weekly
Spark Plugs - New NGK plugs in Sep. 06
TPS - Set by PO, never messed with
Idle speed - 1.2k rpm
TRE - Done in September '06.

What else can I be missing here? I feel like it's running a bit rich.
-
You could try setting the TPS back to stock (the commonly referenced procedure on this board is not the one in the service manual.
-What about tires?
Sticky tires get worse mileage and a 120/70 front will underestimate your actual mileage. Low pressure also will suck off a couple %.
-Sprocket gearing?
-brake drag

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... good point about the front tire profile. I haven't double checked the accuracy of the odometer vs. mile markers yet. I think my TomTom Rider has a trip meter on it too...

Tires - Previously PPs, currently PR3 race take-offs(they're terrible in this weather)
Brake drag - Seems normal? Wheels spin for about 1.5 rotations then stop.
Sprocket Gearing - I already posted this above, its either 15/44 or 15/45, I forget which. PO had 15/47 and that got me 33mpg on a 300 mile road trip... me and my buddy on an EX-500 were both doing 80-90(indicated) and he still got 50mpg!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hmm... good point about the front tire profile. I haven't double checked the accuracy of the odometer vs. mile markers yet. I think my TomTom Rider has a trip meter on it too...

Tires - Previously PPs, currently PR3 race take-offs(they're terrible in this weather)
Brake drag - Seems normal? Wheels spin for about 1.5 rotations then stop.
Sprocket Gearing - I already posted this above, its either 15/44 or 15/45, I forget which. PO had 15/47 and that got me 33mpg on a 300 mile road trip... me and my buddy on an EX-500 were both doing 80-90(indicated) and he still got 50mpg!
You can also consider things like clogged injectors, fuel pump, sensors.. (is i getting up to a reasonable temp, btw- a bad thermostat causing low engine temps will kill milage)
Cleaning the fuel pick up and some injector cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea- just do not let the cap liner jump into the tank.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thermostat? Strange that you mention that... when I bought the bike... the PO gave me a box of parts and it included a new thermostat... The bike heats up fine tho... I never see it go above 212.

Dunno when the last time I stuck a bottle of injector cleaner in there but I'll see if that helps...

Crap.. just checked the weather, looks like 80% chance of rain tomorrow, and snow/ice the rest of the week. Back into the apartment it goes...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
so it gets up to temp (190) pretty fast?
How do you measure gas consumption? the light on 03 comes on at a different tine then the 05 +.
the only other thing I can think of is alipping clutch.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh, I wouldn't say "pretty fast". Seems to get up to temp the same as my car. I've never had the fan kick on, even in the summer.

I fill up when the lights goes on. Measuring consumption by filling the tank up to the neck(while the bike is on the stand.) I get about 3 gallons in every time, there's probably another half gallon if I stand the bike up, but it ends up spilling out the drain tube when I go home right after putting it back on the stand. Trip meter is reset every fill-up.

I've never ran it dry before. Isn't that bad on FI vehicles?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
have you ever done throttle body syncronization ....... recommended routine maintenance every 7500 miles ? it helps to read the owners manual and follow routine maintenance schedule

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thermostat? Strange that you mention that... when I bought the bike... the PO gave me a box of parts and it included a new thermostat... The bike heats up fine tho... I never see it go above 212.
I get about 45mpg on my stock 03.

What is the thermostat had to do with MPG?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you ever done throttle body syncronization ....... recommended routine maintenance every 7500 miles ? it helps to read the owners manual and follow routine maintenance schedule
Aha! I knew I was missing something.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I get about 45mph on my stock 03.

What is the thermostat had to do with MPG?
Thermostat opens and closes to keep the engine at te correct temp. If it is stuck open and the engine is running too cool, you get crummy mileage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I haven't been able to check the mileage on my bike. I hope to do so in the next few weeks, although the previous owner said he used to get about 50mpg.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Aha! I knew I was missing something.
Also, though it is unlikely they need it anyway, it is a mistake to believe everything the PO tells you, so you might want to recheck the valves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I haven't posted in awhile due to a four wheeler injury(go figure..4 wheels lol)..so I've been depressed about not being able to ride, then winter came. So my bike is sitting in my room. I figured this was the appropriate thread to ask this in instead of making one. I have a 05 sv650s and always ride hard, wheelies, twisties all the good stuff. My question is this, I just got a brand new back tire, but noticed my front is worn all uneven and when you put your palm over it and feel the tire it has bumps over a majority of it. My dad thinks its from riding aggresively, or is this just telling me i need a new front tire?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I haven't posted in awhile due to a four wheeler injury(go figure..4 wheels lol)..so I've been depressed about not being able to ride, then winter came. So my bike is sitting in my room. I figured this was the appropriate thread to ask this in instead of making one. I have a 05 sv650s and always ride hard, wheelies, twisties all the good stuff. My question is this, I just got a brand new back tire, but noticed my front is worn all uneven and when you put your palm over it and feel the tire it has bumps over a majority of it. My dad thinks its from riding aggresively, or is this just telling me i need a new front tire?
Doesn't really seem like the right thread but i think what you are describing is "cupping" and your dad is half right- It is from riding hard with a suspension taht has inadequate damping, such as that of the stock SV.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm... weird. My trip meter is dead on, even with the 120/70 front. Went 5 miles and it said I traveled 5 miles. Oh well. I'm so looking forward to dropping the engine.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hmmm... weird. My trip meter is dead on, even with the 120/70 front. Went 5 miles and it said I traveled 5 miles. Oh well. I'm so looking forward to dropping the engine.
how did you confirm 5 miles? gps?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a GPS. I trust the mile markers more tho. I've got the TOMTOM Rider and it's already mounted. I figure the mile markers on the freeway should be good enough tho... it's how I calibrated my bike when I was running a speedo healer off the front sprocket.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts