Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 01 SV with a trailblazing 2100 miles on it. It runs great. It was climate control garaged kept, and had the oil changed twice. I have replaced the brake fluid, oil, chain clean and lube, and looking at other mission criticals as well as new tires. What is the thought on age of tires if it was in a controlled environment. The rear tire is a little squared off, but other than that they look great. This is my first bike and I don't mind spending a little money on it to make it safe, but the tires look good. Anyway, just wanted to see what you all thought should be done.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I would check the tires for dry-rotting or any cracks to be sure, but you WONT regret putting on some fresh tires as those old MEZ4's are garbage.
Might want to change out the coolant as well while you're at it, give the fuel/vacuum lines a good looking over to make sure they're not cracking anywhere as well.

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I'd probably run some seafoam in the gas just to help make sure there aren't any undesirable deposits in the tank/carb.

+2 on the new tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...coolant flush was next on the list. I guess some new rubber will be shortly following.

·
Registered
905 Posts
+1 to replacing coolant; possibly also fork oil and any other fluids not already done.

Also, visual inspection of hoses and tubes for rubber cracking.

With the tires, I would personally order some new tires now and at least have them on hand if you should decide in the near future that the stockers are too crusty to ride on...

By the way: Welcome to the site and nice score on what sounds like a pristine 1st gen...;D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Congrats on such a lucky find! Climate controlled garage... man. You should find very few issues at all. Like all the others said, check the rubber hoses & such, but in those storage conditions, I imagine they are all in great shape.

+3 on new tires!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working on the pics. I should have taken them when I got the bike. The second week I had it, I was practicing breaking in a parking lot and doing other maneuvers with cones. All was going well until I hit little sand/gravel and I lowsided while practicing breaking. I took a good lick to the knee, and the bar bent and hit the tank. Had a few other little cosmetic issues, but all is good now. It was pristine before, but from what I read, there are those who have, and those who will. I have a good respect for those breaks now and looking ahead for whats around the corner / up the road. Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions, and I will get some pics up asap.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have replaced the brake fluid,
As per Suzukis maintenance schedule, brake lines are to be replaced after 4 years - have a look at them, as others suggested. I´d only like to add that you should use braided steel lines for the replacement. Contrary to postings suggesting "better feel" and whatnot, the main reason for using these lines is that they virtually last forever.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
23 Posts
take the MSF course if you haven't already. just did it this past weekend and learned so much. worth the money and the time. plus you get to beat on a 250 for a weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats the $100 question. I grew up on atv's and the occasional dirt bike. I have been riding now for about a month a couple times a week. I should probably take the beginner class, but would like to wait and take the intermediate due to the time schedule for the beginner class. Its tough to get a Friday-Sunday 20 hours away from the fam. If I could find one that was 1 day for three weekends, I would be there. I may be intermediate by the time I find one though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Michelin Pilot Road 2's put on yesterday. Now just have the coolant and the MSF course. It was a nice 88 degrees today and lots of bikes out everywhere. I am still trying to stay local on the bike until I take the course, but it was hard to not take a trip today. :) Be safe out there!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts