Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at upgrading my brakes (lines, levers, maybe some 4pot calipers off a sv1000 or the like) and I stumbled across these levers from Mad Hornets. Found a thread on them from this FZ-09 forum, and from the looks of it they are decent, but haven't found anything about them here.

I did a little research and have seen what happens when you buy the cheapy knock-off ones off ebay for $30. Poor machining causing brakes to engage more and more as they heat up, until they eventually lock up completely. The $100-150 savings doesn't seem so great when you go down and muck up your bike (and body).

I'm not expecting CRG or Pazzo quality here, but if anyone has these levers, whats your experience with them? Are the tolerances proper, or are they too loose/too tight?

·
Super Moderator
8,334 Posts
look exactly like the rest of the ebay chineseum... not touching that shit with a 10 foot pole

·
Registered
499 Posts
These look exactly like the ones I have used for now 14k miles and still work fine. They're exactly the same as the ones on eBay for about $35. The "brand" names are fictitious. They're probably all made in the same factory in China.

The folding feature saved my clutch lever in a light crash and still works fine today, so I think it's a very desirable feature to have.

People have reported these fade quickly in sunlight, but if you park your bike mostly away from sunlight they fade very slowly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These levers do have a lot of the bells and whistles (folding, position and length adjustments) that are nice to have, but they're worth nothing if they end up being the components that make you go down in the first place. That is what a shittily machined lever can do. I imagine that with tolerances being loose as they are on a lot of these knock-off levers, it's a lottery of sorts to get a set that are good.

Seems its up to us as riders to decide whether we want to play the lottery and save a few bucks or gouge our wallets and have peace of mind in our components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts