Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering doing this to shave a bit of weight off, this rotor will be for track use only. I was wondering if anyone has experience having this done? Is it just bringing the rotor to a machine shop and telling them what I want done?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
It's been a few years since I raced but as of 2003 I'm pretty sure this was not allowed.

Have you looked into what a wave rotor weighs?

The rear rotor doesn't have much to cut off. If I was going to do anything to it, I might take a little off the outside diameter and/or slightly enlarge the holes. Unless you have a milling machine, I doubt you'd be able to take any off the thickness.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
its superstock legal in most club racing orgs. its around $75 or so to cut one. go to the wera board and do a search for phat chance, or quality machine, they're a machine shop in savannah, ga that cuts rotors and will normally have rotors in stock that they'll just swap out with you.

·
Registered
827 Posts
There's literally hundreds more ways to shave some weight off than shimming a rotor down. what's the payoff? Several ounces? To each his own I guess.

Aluminum fairing stay, rear brake resovoir delete, aftermarket sprockets,etc, just to name a few.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read up to 1 lb of weight savings, which is huge for something that's rotating. Combine that with the weight savings of aluminum sprockets and I bet you can tell a big difference. A lot of people say shaving 1lb of rotating mass is like shaving 4 lbs of stationary mass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
520 chain conversion, milled rear rotor and Renthal LW sprockets and my bike is noticeably quicker. Pretty inexpensive too. Weight off your rotating mass matters. i don't have any numbers to back that up. Hope it isn't the placebo effect. :)

Don't forget the bling bling factor. :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
There's literally hundreds more ways to shave some weight off than shimming a rotor down. what's the payoff? Several ounces? To each his own I guess.

Aluminum fairing stay, rear brake resovoir delete, aftermarket sprockets,etc, just to name a few.
One of the best ways to reduce weight is called a diet. There are a bunch of fatties out there.... :) Oh and I only put enough gas in the tank to finish the race + a couple laps. Three gals weight a bit.

I have a galfer wave. Not to expensive and very light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What Kris87 said, Phat Chance did the machine work, super fast. under a week. I had both my front and rear rotors lightened ,1 pound off the rear and just over a pound on each front rotor.

·
Registered
667 Posts

We lost 515 grams off of ours. And that is unsprung weight. Do you know anything about unsprung weight, or are you just telling people what to do because you dont know any better?

·
Registered
785 Posts
We lost 515 grams off of ours. And that is unsprung weight. Do you know anything about unsprung weight, or are you just telling people what to do because you dont know any better?
lol.....

·
Registered
667 Posts

Man I need to stop posting after my bed time! Im just an average ass hole by day, nothing too special. But after 12 o clock and working on some ******* from salems cylinder heads for hours and hours im a SUPER ass hole. Its impressive really.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Man I need to stop posting after my bed time! Im just an average ass hole by day, nothing too special. But after 12 o clock and working on some ******* from salems cylinder heads for hours and hours im a SUPER ass hole. Its impressive really.
You ARE truly gifted my young friend......;)

·
Registered
827 Posts

no offense taken here. :) i guess this is what happens when unsubscribing from a thread too early (and jumping the gun). someone gets heated over alleged internetweb opinion and barracks lawyers.

i DO know about rotating and unsprung MASS...it wasn't "just telling people what to do because i dont know any better." PNE's response to mine cleared it up for me after reviewing the thread since my post, as this was something i failed to take into consideration at the time.

i gave (or attempted, as it seems now) a suggestion to PNE from a practical and economical standpoint at the time.

cheers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
no offense taken here. :) i guess this is what happens when unsubscribing from a thread too early (and jumping the gun). someone gets heated over alleged internetweb opinion and barracks lawyers.

i DO know about rotating and unsprung MASS...it wasn't "just telling people what to do because i dont know any better." PNE's response to mine cleared it up for me after reviewing the thread since my post, as this was something i failed to take into consideration at the time.

i gave (or attempted, as it seems now) a suggestion to PNE from a practical and economical standpoint at the time.

cheers.
Fair enough, sorry I was an *******. I promise it will happen again.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The Guys that did Dubtec's fender brackets said they can do rotors front or rear for about 45 each,

Maybe something like these???

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Bumping a good thread (despite the ribbing :p). Reducing unsprung rotating mass makes a huge difference & since I only weigh 160lbs I don't think going on a diet is going to make as much of a difference as removing some rotating mass on the bike.

So, I'm looking to get some lightened rotors for next year & I'm contemplating my options.

Thinking about lighten the stock rear as shown above and getting either the EBC or Galfer wave rotors. I may also have a line on a full set of Galfers, front & rear but I'm not sure what the price point would be yet.

Does anyone have any direct experience with the EBC or Galfer wave rotors?
Wondering if the extra money spent on the Galfers is worth it.
http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=34873&cat=0&page=1
http://www.solomotoparts.com/product.php?productid=17911&cat=0&page=1

Any other options?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts