Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Stage 0: 65.1 HP @ 9000 RPM, 41.1 ft-lbs, 14:1. Renegade slip-on exhaust, 15 pilot jets, 137.5 main jets, 1 shim on needle.

Stage 1: 69.9 HP @ 9300 RPM, 42.75 ft-lbs, 15:1. M4 full exhaust, 17.5 pilot jets, 152.5 main jets, 2 shims on needle, desnorkled airbox.

Stage 2: 76.6 HP @ 9700 RPM, 44.88 ft-lbs, 12:1. Cam swap, M4 full exhaust, 17.5 pilot jets, 157.5 main jets, 2 shims on needle, desnorkled airbox.

The Dynojet(tm) dyno confirms what my Butt(tm) dyno has already observed: the 03 cam swap ROCKS!!!! The bike just friggin' pulls so much stronger, and deeper into the powerband.

Current A/F plot:

At 12:1, it's a bit on the rich side now. My tuner thinks going down a size to 155 mains should get me in the ideal 13:1 range, as well as buy me a couple HP up top. (But what about the 5-7k range? It is most rich here, almost getting down to 11:1, and also where the power dips a bit. Should I go back to 1 shim on the needle?) If what he says is true, I should be topping 78 HP. Needless to say, I will be quite ecstatic.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
wow.
just, wow.
friggen awesome comparison of mods there with your dyno runs.
awesome power increase there.
thats gotta be even more fun to ride now.
big up to you!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Dave, did you drill your slide holes? I'm kinda surprised, actually, with your Stage 2 results. I had the same mods, but also the drilled slide holes (shouldn't have made that big of a difference), and pulled 72.3 hp and 45.9 lb/ft!

Granted, I'll need to run it again after doing the cam swap this winter (and with the Renegades :D), but I guess I just got a good example of the 2000 SV.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Yeah, the top end the cam swap offers is AWESOME.... I really want to try mine with the M4 some time. I may try and find one buggered up for track riding....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
orangegilly: no, haven't drilled the slide holes (yet). As you indicate, I doubt they would make THAT big of a difference. But since I'm gonna need to open up the carbs again to pop in the 155s, I might as well drill the holes while I'm there.

I'm in agreement, though...after seeing your earlier posted numbers, I was *slightly* disappointed with my Stage I results. But then, I try not to worry to much about bike-to-bike dyno comparisons either. Bikes can vary SO much, even just coming off the assembly line. Not to mention differences in dynos, ambient temperature/humidity, etc. And keep in mind, my bike dynoed stock at just over 65, which seems slightly low to me.

I'm actually more perplexed by the A/F numbers. My Stage I configuration is a tried-and-tested setup that many of you have, and yet my a/f was fluctuating between 14:1 and 16:1. That's what prompted the move to 157.5s, but now I'm a bit rich at 12:1. I wonder if 155s would be sufficient to bring it back up to 13:1? To make matters worse, the O2 sensor on my tuner's dyno crapped out last week, and he *just* replaced it prior to my Stage II run, which leads me to wonder if all the previous a/f reading were incorrect, and perhaps the 152.5s would have been ideal after all!? Grrrr.....

nicksvs: I got the cams brand new on Ebay from someone who purchased them but ended up not putting them in. Really, though, I only saved maybe $20 off the price I would have paid at RonAyers.com. These things offer so much bang for the buck, there is hardly any reason NOT to do this mod if you have moderate mechanical aptitude!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nicksvs said:
did you swap out 03 exhaust and 03 intake cams or use 03 intake cams and 99-02 intake cams?
The latter.

Moved existing 01 intake cams to exhaust side, put in 03 intake cams in intake side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd recommend dropping a shim off the needles and go and get another O2 reading. The rich running in the mid-range is systemic of needles needing to be lowered. Have you considered going with an aftermarket filter? That will flow more air and should give you a couple more ponies with your current setup (since it's slightly rich up top). Worth considering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts