Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends has an M4 full exhaust that he wants to get rid of cheap. I'm probably going to get so I have question for you guys. Can I just put the can on, likes it a slip-on or should I put the whole new pipe on. It's an 03 and I don't really have much money to put in it to have the computer adjusted. What do you think I should do?
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
i believe you can use it as a slip on, there is a small like 8" long piece that connects to the can and to the rest of the header pipes, just make sure that the pipe is going to fit over the rest of your stock exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
just have your stock ecu reprogramed . it should be around $100 or so where in mass are you from ???? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Do the full system! E.Z.er install and "better flow".('better flow' = properly tunned pos/neg pulses in the exhaust, but we won't get into that here)

You don't have to remap if you don't modify too much else. M4 bases their pipes on stock F/I map, that is right from the horse's mouth. Call them if you don't believe me. (972) 481-9300 :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
just put the whole pipe on. the stock map will be fine with it.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
coyote said:
just have your stock ecu reprogramed . it should be around $100 or so where in mass are you from ???? :D
im from north attleboro, close to the RI border. good to see some massachusettes people here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
one of my buddys lives down there :) i am up by hampton beach if you head up this way let me know . ya it's always good to see pep's from mass 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I don't know about not remapping the unit. The way I understand it is these bikes are already running pretty lean to aid in compliance with EPA regs. Now, when you add a free flowing exhaust the bike will intake and exhaust more air resulting in additional leaning of the air/fuel mixture. I know that most exhaust manufacters will tell you the slip-ons don't require remapping and some say full systems do, but remember their main goal is to sell merchandise.

Now, I'm not saying that their lieing to you, but maybe streaching the truth a bit. Micron will tell you that their full system is designed to function with the base map as well, but they do not recommend installation and running without remapping. They claim remappping is required to prevent a lean running condition and to get the most out of the system. Basic enigne building should tell you that when you change one variable others will also require adjustment or change. Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

Jonesy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it turns out I couldn't get the exhaust he decided to make some money off it. Money I don't have to give him. :cry: Oh well, guess I'll keep looking for a good deal. I just want a slip on anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
jonesy said:
I don't know about not remapping the unit. The way I understand it is these bikes are already running pretty lean to aid in compliance with EPA regs. Now, when you add a free flowing exhaust the bike will intake and exhaust more air resulting in additional leaning of the air/fuel mixture. I know that most exhaust manufacters will tell you the slip-ons don't require remapping and some say full systems do, but remember their main goal is to sell merchandise.

Now, I'm not saying that their lieing to you, but maybe streaching the truth a bit. Micron will tell you that their full system is designed to function with the base map as well, but they do not recommend installation and running without remapping. They claim remappping is required to prevent a lean running condition and to get the most out of the system. Basic enigne building should tell you that when you change one variable others will also require adjustment or change. Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

Jonesy
i judge by the dyno, not theory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
kris87,

Let me ask you this, what did the dino tell you? Did the pipe alone provide peak Hp. or did you re- jet/map the fuel system as well? Most dinos have a system to analyze the exhaust gases and provide the tech with a fuel and exhaust curve.

Jonesy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
i am sure kris will chime in, with more info, but last time he talked about this i guess they used a stock map on his bike and made more hp. from what i have read the full moves the hp up the rpms and a slip on moves it to the middle. from what i have see/read you are only going to get a few hp and there is only a few hp different in a full and a slip on . i think a lot of it comes from the weight you save over the stock system. i myself have a slip on i yanked the snorkel out of the air box and i got tank lifter. and the bike still isnt running lean :) go figure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Coyote,

Thank for the info. When I make this modification, I just want to be sure to do it right the first time as I don't want to cause any damage to the engine. I'm going to finish upgrading the suspension prior to doing the exhaust and re-mapping. My springs and oil have been ordered. I want to replace / upgrade the rear shock, but I do not want to have to cut and relocate the battery and box to do it. So, I'm shopping for a drop in shock, but I can't seem to find anything under $600.00. I was hpoing to get away with spending $500.00 or slightly less. Any suggestions?

Jonesy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
no prob man glad i could help :) you should be able to find something out there . hogan shock, i think that will drop in for $300. i would go for a penske shock it well worth the $$.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
jonesy said:
I want to replace / upgrade the rear shock, but I do not want to have to cut and relocate the battery and box to do it. So, I'm shopping for a drop in shock, but I can't seem to find anything under $600.00. I was hpoing to get away with spending $500.00 or slightly less. Any suggestions?

Jonesy
i will put in a gsxr shock and relocate your battery got 600 bucks :lol: haha just playing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I'm afraid to ask exactly where that battery would be relocated to.

I just do like the idea a chopping on a new bike, but thats just me. Not to mention that I'm thinking of upgrading next year.

Jonesy
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top