Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if this is a good exhaust and is it worth it 2 buy a full system or just get a slip on?

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
yes, it is a great exhaust.

unless you're worried about an extra 5hp, and want to spend $1k+, a slip-on is fine.

and ranger, you know as well as I do that the second gen exhaust thread is WAY to bloated to be a useful source of concise information.

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 on what zach said.

I've had an M4 high sport style slip-on for 2 years. Everyone loves the way it sounds, and I think it looks sweet too.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
and don't buy from blair, he's shady.

:) That is ridiculous, everyone knows that I provide the best price match, and service on the M4 for the members on Svrider.com.

You need to get your facts straight,

As a Premier Vendor, and Site Supporter, I make sure that the best possible deals are here for the members,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
50 Posts
M4 makes great exhausts. I've got the carbon can on my bike and I couldn't be happier with the sound and look of it!

I bought mine from Blair and the deal was smooth as butter for me. I'd recommend him for sure.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got my highsport today. Can't wait to install it and hear the difference (I cannot stand the stock sound). Too bad slip-on means you still have to remove most of the exhaust to do the cut.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got my highsport today. Can't wait to install it and hear the difference (I cannot stand the stock sound). Too bad slip-on means you still have to remove most of the exhaust to do the cut.
When I put my M4 on I didn't remove any of the exhaust, except what was cut off of course. I used a hacksaw but I don't really recommend it, the place where you make the cut it actually 2 pipes, one is a perforated core inside the outer shell. It was a lot of work to get it off.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
yes, it is a great exhaust.

unless you're worried about an extra 5hp, and want to spend $1k+, a slip-on is fine.

and ranger, you know as well as I do that the second gen exhaust thread is WAY to bloated to be a useful source of concise information.
I got the full system M4 and love it (why do something half assed). $1k+ is pretty exagerated, mine was only 750 and i've seen them for less then that depending on mount style.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Does anyone know if this is a good exhaust and is it worth it 2 buy a full system or just get a slip on?
It depends on your reason for getting it...

do you just want sound and looks.. or performance too...

if you want sound and looks get the slipon.... it gets about 2hp over stock

if you want performance get the full system... it gets 4-6hp over stock... plus it gets the sound and looks too...

but with the full system you will likely need to remap your fuel system or get a power commander etc... otherwise it won't run quite as well as stock.. or so I found... when I went with my full M4... I now have the PCIII so I'll see how it works out... I think I was a little too lean with the M4 full system and no changes to the stock fuel mapings...

It seems better so far but I haven't had the chance to open it up yet... too much snow and ice... but it is good in my condo parkade ;D and around the neighborhood...

Then again I adjusted my TPS before I put on the PCIII so instead of 3500rpm it kicked in just under 2000... I couldn't get it any better... every time I tightened the bolts it put it out of synch... anyway 1900 or 1800 is good enough for me I was used to the 3500 setting....

anyway... I like the looks of the M4 and the sound is good.. but I think my old 99 sv with the hindle sounded better.... I guess I'll see how my M4 sounds in a 15-30000 km...

M4 seems to be better built than some systems... better than hindle and several others.... and many recommend it including racers as well as street riders.... it is certainly louder than a yosh slipon though.. so if you like quiet pipes... you'll need something else.... but it is still not as bad as the harley guys...

Blair aka SV-Racing-Parts from this site sells them... I looked around and gave him the prices... in the end I got a pretty good deal on mine... if you;re interested give him a shout... I've bought a bunch of stuff from him now and always got a good price, had good customer service and got the product in very good shipping times.... and since I live in Canada he makes it even better as he is on the border between the 2 countries... never had a problem

Oh and the full M4 is only about 690-750 now depending on the system you get... and they are pretty easy to install...

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
I got the full system M4 and love it (why do something half assed). $1k+ is pretty exagerated, mine was only 750 and i've seen them for less then that depending on mount style.
and did you get a power commander or the like?

if not, your bike is probably performing worse than it did with the stock pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the full M4 exhaust on mine and it seems to help me exit corners just a little bit faster. ;D It also helps really bring out the tone of the motor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:) That is ridiculous, everyone knows that I provide the best price match, and service on the M4 for the members on Svrider.com.

You need to get your facts straight,

As a Premier Vendor, and Site Supporter, I make sure that the best possible deals are here for the members,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair
Wat is your best price on a m4 carbon high sport slip on for a 2008 sv650 sf

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
and did you get a power commander or the like?

if not, your bike is probably performing worse than it did with the stock pipe.

Yup I recently put the PC on.... I drove the bike a few weeks with the full M4 and no PCIII and it was pretty much the same as stock... slightly different torque curve perhaps not quite as good...but the bike was running hotter...

It is much better with the PCIII on with the M4 map.... (and it even runs perfectly fine without misfires when it is colder than 60F ... that [email protected] in the PC thread has a screwed up bike or screwed up PC if his has problems and not all PCIII are crap, nor are they a miracle either it is just another option if you like playing with the bike... I hate taking mine in to the shop)

someday I may even get a custom map done, but for now as long as it is as good or a bit better than stock, that is fine for me... I am interested more or less 75% looks and sound and then around 25% for the performance... but the option is there to tweak it a bit more... especially when I do some intake mods... if I go that far with it...

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Yup I recently put the PC on.... I drove the bike a few weeks with the full M4 and no PCIII and it was pretty much the same as stock... slightly different torque curve perhaps not quite as good...but the bike was running hotter...

It is much better with the PCIII on with the M4 map.... (and it even runs perfectly fine without misfires when it is colder than 60F ... that [email protected] in the PC thread has a screwed up bike or screwed up PC if his has problems and not all PCIII are crap, nor are they a miracle either it is just another option if you like playing with the bike... I hate taking mine in to the shop)

someday I may even get a custom map done, but for now as long as it is as good or a bit better than stock, that is fine for me... I am interested more or less 75% looks and sound and then around 25% for the performance... but the option is there to tweak it a bit more... especially when I do some intake mods... if I go that far with it...
i didn't ask you :nana:

but thanks for proving my point ;D

·
Registered
219 Posts
To cut off the old pipe I left it on the bike and used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade. It took longer to find an extension cord than it did to cut the pipe. I then filed off any sharp edges and had the new M4 high, mounted in a total of about 20 minutes. The look and sound is amazing and the saving of 7lbs doesn't hurt. If you use a reciprocating saw just be carefull to not use a blade too long or you risk hitting the frame.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
i didn't ask you :nana:

but thanks for proving my point ;D

hahah oh well.... I didn't see the quote for some reason :p... and yeah I thought I'd drop my experience with the M4 and stock setup vs pc

Perhaps some can get away with it.. but I don't think it is best for the bike when it is leaned out a bit more than it should be

. The look and sound is amazing and the saving of 7lbs doesn't hurt.
Yeah those stock cans are HEAAAAAVVVVYYY when compared to a titanium or carbon M4 can

·
Registered
100 Posts
To cut off the old pipe I left it on the bike and used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade. It took longer to find an extension cord than it did to cut the pipe. I then filed off any sharp edges and had the new M4 high, mounted in a total of about 20 minutes. The look and sound is amazing and the saving of 7lbs doesn't hurt. If you use a reciprocating saw just be carefull to not use a blade too long or you risk hitting the frame.
I used a reciprocating saw also, and I unbolted the footpeg mount and moved it out of the way so I could get a better position and cut down and away from the swingarm with no risk of hitting it at all. Although then, too long of a blade can hit the tire, so you still want a shorter blade.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts