Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here's the deal. I own my sv now. My buddy picked it up from the dealer, and it's sitting in the trailer. Now, here's the question: I'm taking my MSF course the 7th - 9th, and I know the certificate takes a while (a week here in CA I think?) to get mailed to me. I could easily go to the DMV on Tuesday to pick up my permit so I could ride in the mean time. So my question is, should I go and get my permit, or just wait for the cert. and go and get the full M1 (rather than getting permit first then M1 when I get my cert.). The other question I have (and I have to call the DMV tomorrow about it) is whether or not CA will charge me 28 bux for the permit, and then ANOTHER 28 for the license (I know they charge 28 for the license alone). If that's the case, I'd rather not wait at the DMV for two days.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Not sure about cost but I do know for me, having the permit meant after taking the MSF, when I brought my form into the DMV to get the temp paper M1 I didnt have to take a written test...

Its up to you, if I had a bike in the garage $28's wouldnt stop me from riding it for 3 months especially with good weather around the corner (hopefully by the end of this month, solid rain all week).

·
Registered
183 Posts
just get the permit so I you want to ride you can before the class you can. And I would guess the dmv will charge you twice. In AZ I had to pay the fee twice. But it was only like eight bucks for each fee. :p

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
You just take the written test for the permit. Be warned: it's likely that you will have to complete half of the automotive test as well. Pay up then. At this point you either give them the MSF certificate or go home and wait until you get it, then come back. Show them the paperwork, get your new photo taken and temp license.

It's up to you if 2 trips to the DMV is worth riding around with a permit or not. I don't remember paying the fee twice. It's just once, I believe. But no shakedowns if I'm wrong. :p Call'em up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha, yea - dude Frick, you're in trouble if i get charged 30 bux twice. LOL. Nah I'll give them a call. I'm not worried about riding before the class (I have exams all this week, then the class immediately after. I'm more thinking, next week, when I start new school classes (and work is light) if the weather is nice, I'm gonna be wishing I had my license so I could ride. So I'm thinking, maybe it'll be worth the 5 days extra riding to get my permit. That "no riding at night" is crap tho. Honestly, IMO if you have a permit, and you've taken the MSF - you should be able to act as if you have the full M1 -since you're just waiting for bureaucratic bullsh*t. Sigh... such is life. I want to ride my SV! Wahhhhh lol. I hate law school, I'd have my permit right now, and have ridden this afternoon if I didn't have finals.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Okay, so here's the deal. I own my sv now. My buddy picked it up from the dealer, and it's sitting in the trailer. Now, here's the question: I'm taking my MSF course the 7th - 9th, and I know the certificate takes a while (a week here in CA I think?) to get mailed to me. I could easily go to the DMV on Tuesday to pick up my permit so I could ride in the mean time. So my question is, should I go and get my permit, or just wait for the cert. and go and get the full M1 (rather than getting permit first then M1 when I get my cert.). The other question I have (and I have to call the DMV tomorrow about it) is whether or not CA will charge me 28 bux for the permit, and then ANOTHER 28 for the license (I know they charge 28 for the license alone). If that's the case, I'd rather not wait at the DMV for two days.

What do you guys think?
You'll need your permit before you can get your license anyway so you might as well go down to DMV, take the written test and get it now.

I think I had my slip from the MSF within 3-4 days. I don't remember what the fees were or when they were charged.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I were you I would go get my permit. I am currently waiting to take the MSF on the 20th of this month and am glad that I got my permit first. I have been riding my new SV around for the last week and would not be a happy camper just looking at it sitting there. I am also pretty sure you only have to pay the 28 dollars once for the application of the permit. Ride safe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Goin to the DMV in West Covina tomorrow. Gonna sit there and study for Wednesday's Property exam while I wait like a schmuck. Lol. I'm also gonna make the dealership put the back protector in my Jacket - since i cant figure out for the life of me how to get a hard shell'd CE approved protector thats [......] that wide into an opening (not very elastic) [...] that wide. ??? hah.

I gotta remember to take my Passport with me this time. Last time I forgot it, and I waited with my buddy to get his M1 license, hoping I could take the permit test. After 3 hours or so of waiting at an LA DMV... they were like "do you have your passport" .... "uhhh....no?" "birth certificate" "no? I mean, do I need that stuff, my out of state license IS scanable" ... "yea , come back when you have all that stuff with you." "BAHH!"

Love Cali.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got my permit a month before I took my MSF course. I was only charged once. Remember no nights, no passengers, no freeways and if you get caught it could mean no bike. Times might have changed because I did this 8 yeas ago, but it should be the same. I paid $13 for the permit and $190 fro the MSF and i know both are much more now.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
In WV we were told we needed a permit before taking the MSF course. Granted some people did take the class w/out it, but they didn't get their Certification Card until they got the permit and brought it back to the course. Then again if we passed the course there was no wait, we got the card right there and could go to the DMV and get our endorsement.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess who picked up his riding permit today.... BOOYAH! I get to ride this weekend, can't wait (busy until then...hate finals :( )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Goin to the DMV in West Covina tomorrow. Gonna sit there and study for Wednesday's Property exam while I wait like a schmuck. Lol. I'm also gonna make the dealership put the back protector in my Jacket - since i cant figure out for the life of me how to get a hard shell'd CE approved protector thats [......] that wide into an opening (not very elastic) [...] that wide. ??? hah.

I gotta remember to take my Passport with me this time. Last time I forgot it, and I waited with my buddy to get his M1 license, hoping I could take the permit test. After 3 hours or so of waiting at an LA DMV... they were like "do you have your passport" .... "uhhh....no?" "birth certificate" "no? I mean, do I need that stuff, my out of state license IS scanable" ... "yea , come back when you have all that stuff with you." "BAHH!"

Love Cali.
Instead of waiting in line at the DMV, just make an appointment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts