Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of grease/lubricant do you guys use for the clutch cable? Also, what is the fastest or easiest way to lube up that bad boy? Mine needs this done badly!

-josh

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just use WD-40 on my cables...not so sure it has wonderful long term lubricating properties, but it does make them operate smoothly, so works for me. A few seconds blast through the cable luber and presto.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
im pretty sure maxima chain wax can also be used on cables.. just spray it down from the top of the cable and work the sleeve up and down... or at least thats how i was advised to do it :?

W

·
0 Posts
Just go to any motorcycle and ask for cable lube, they will have several spray cans to choose from.

TM

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Modern vs. stuck in the past

There are several pressurized cable lube setups available. They are fast and work very well. I sometimes use Tri-Flon.

Being a dinosaur, however, I often revert to mixing some dry MoS2 with motor oil , making a tin foil funnel around the end of the cable, pouring about a teaspoon in and letting gravity take its course.

If you pull the cables in the evening and reinstall in the morning the oil has lots of time to work its way down the cables. Dry moly is an excellent lubricant. The only problem is the smallest quantity I can find is a 1 pound tub for $30 from Rose Mill Co. 1 pound may not sound like a lot, but it is more than a lifetime supply. For example, 1/8 teaspoon is more than enough to reduce sticktion in the forks. You really have to be careful not to use too much wherever you use it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
jeepers...now you guys have me thinking....I realize the magical mystical properties of WD-40 don't include superior lubricity, being that it's pretty much a solvent. I'm more of the thought of keeping the cables clean internally, assuming the friction and loads on the internal surfaces are negligible in the wear equation.
Am i out to lunch here?
Maxima chain wax seems a bit gunky to me as a cable lube, especially when the weather is cold up here, which is most of the time. I dunno.
Juan

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So anyone else use WD-40? I really dont want to buy a tub of grease. Call me lazy.

-josh

C

·
0 Posts
WD-40 is not the great lubricant that everyone believes it to be. It was designed to be a water displacer to prevent rust. It works as a great solvent but not so much as a lubricant. I work at a bicycle shop and have tried just about everything on cables. Tri-Flo has been my favorite followed closely by a combination of Tri-flo and White lightning (a light wax chain lube). Most industrial lubricant sprays will work good for a short while but they will probably need to applied more often. Motorcycle shops do sell kits for lubing cables if you want to go that way but I find it cheaper to just buy some tri-flo for about $5.00.

chip
Honda FT500 Ascot

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
WD-40 is too light and won't stick around long. Grease or thick oil will make the cable stiff in the cold... cable lube, pnuematic tool oil or light motor oil works best. I take a zip-lock bag and bight a corner out of it, stick the cable through the hole and use a rubber band to seal the cable in the hole. Put a couple ounces of oil in the bag and hang it up...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree...WD-40 is not a particularly good lubricant. It is a great solvent and water displacer.
I'm just wondering whether cables really need a lubricant, or do they just need to be kept clean to keep the internal friction low.
Juan

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
SVSCanuck said:
I agree...WD-40 is not a particularly good lubricant. It is a great solvent and water displacer.
I'm just wondering whether cables really need a lubricant, or do they just need to be kept clean to keep the internal friction low.
Juan
Except for the new teflon sleeved cables, they need to be lubricated. They'll work dry for a long time but will eventually bind up and fail, not to mention they're easier to squeeze when lubed.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a couple of cans of spray white lithium grease in the garage I will probably try them. They seem to last a long time in other applications so maybe they will work on the clutch cable?

M

·
0 Posts
I have got one of those big a&* siringes a peice of tube and two hose clamps. I take the cable out of the lever and clamp one end over the cable sleav and the othe two the sirringe that is filled with some kind of allpurpusse grease and just pump it through till i see it come out the other end. But my sv hasn't neede iot yet , thats how i do it on my dirt bike works really well
keep it real,
mikey c

·
Registered
2 Posts
WD-40 is basically kerosene...

Don't forget to lube your brake cables at the same time!!! Very important...

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
too bad the brakes dont have cables :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
calvoracer said:
I am sure he meant throttle cables... didn't you chazmox? :wink:
Actually I sas pulling the guys leg - there was a whole thread on the mailing list about lubed brake cables a while bag...

I was wondering what kind of fish I would catch with that comment and it looks like I caught a wonderjosh... REEL him in boys!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts