Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have searched and found many "spirited" debates on the act of lowering our bikes. The consensus seems to be that lowering does have an adverse affect on handling. My question is this though. I've heard that the 03 year specifically has a higher ride height than the following years of the Gen2. Does anyone know if there is a handling difference between the 03 and later years because of this? Did they lower the bike for a reason? Would the 03 benefit from being lowered? BTW I have an 03 N.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
It was just the subframe, and hence the seat, that was higher. One of the many little oddities of the 03. Lowering it involves all the standard downsides and tradeoffs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can a later subframe be swapped over?
If you are a light build there's no real harm reducing preload a bit increasing sag at the rear as long as it' not bottoming out. Lowering the back makes handling heavier but more stable in a straight line.
Then push the front forks through a little to restore balance. check radiator clearance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of thanks for the info. The question was more out of curiosity than anything else. I have no plans to lower the bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
not sure about 650's but i have SV1S 03 and SV1N 03, the N bike subframe+sidecovers are different and seat is different and lower, also S is higher n have shorter swingarm, diff seat, diffside covers..its another animal compare to 04 and up...
when i got SV1S 03 it had lowering links, handled like crap, bend my licence plate..etc...went back to stock
height and bike feels way better, anyway i just like em tall! and would never lower bike...it throws out the whole geometry of ìt.
just my few cents...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts