Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the few complaints I've had with the SV has been the tight riding position for my 34" inseam with the footrest position. After reading several threads about Buell pegs, etc, I thought that the best and easiest answer for me might be using SV Racing's risers mounted upside down, which makes for easy switching back to stock or higher and more rearward positioning as well.
SV Racing got the risers to me very quickly, and I was very happy with the quality and finish of the plates. Unfortunately, due to the position of the spring perch for the brake return and brake light boss, I had to subject the right plate to a little butchery with Dremel and bench grinder to get the right plate mounted upside down.

After getting the fit right, I cleaned the mess up a bit and re-painted. Here is a shot of the modified bracket next to the untouched left plate:

The left plate goes right on:

Here are the mounted footrests, now an inch lower and 1/2 inch to the rear:

I had to put the bottom bolt on the brake side one hole back to clear the exhaust:

All that remained to do was to adjust the shift rod. Mounted like this, there was just enough adjustment in the stock rod to get the shifter into position. I saved the provided extension for use if moving the pegs up and back.
The modification I did does remove several of the positioning holes, so mounting these in their intended manner will not give as many options for placement. For me, the added leg room more than makes up for that.

I did not have to remove any of the springs to mount these this way, so was a really easy project. I did lose the brake side support bracket (now too short), so will just cobble one up out of straight rod when I get home next time. Don't know if it is really necessary anyway.

The snow let off just long enough for me to give the bike a 50 mile test ride the last day I was home. The bike is much more comfortable for me now, and it is a lot easier to move around on in the corners. I did lose some clearance, will find out this summer if it causes problems. I haven't really scraped the peg feelers in the stock position, but may now. I do tend to get a ways off the seat when cornering, and it is a lot easier to do now, so I don't think it will be an issue on the street.

Thnaks to Blair at SV Racing parts for a well made product, excellent comunication, and lightning fast shipping!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That's essentially what I had to do with the right plate to get it to clear. I put the bolts in the close hole, so I had to do a little more grinding/cutting. Yours looks a lot better than my hack job, though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sweet. I've been thinking about doing this. My out of shape fat guy hip joints sometimes give me fits during long rides, even with the Buell peg mod.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
next time i've got my footpegs off (should be soon, need a new brake pedal) i'll take a pic of mine. on the 03 they install w/no mods to the plates needed. the spring perch makes it so i can't use the lone holes that are furthest forward.

paul, would you still have had to cut the risers if you didn't have to account for the exhaust?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
paul, would you still have had to cut the risers if you didn't have to account for the exhaust?
Probably not. the rise in my Scorpion link pipe may be the difference. To keep the peg forward, though, does require the use of the forward holes, so the spring perch and brake light switch boss would still require cutting the plates.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Try Buell 1" lower footpegs. They're only $25 from your Local Buell (Harley-Davidson) dealer. You do have modify them a tiny bit, but it's really quite simple.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
No mods on my '03. I'm down 1" and back 1". The back 1" is not a factor because you are still opening up your knee bend. I'm 6' with a 33" inseam. I am still gonna try the Buell footpegs to see what they are all about.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What bit where you using on the dremel? Also what grit on the bench grinder?

Is your exhaust cutom? Does not look like a regular slipon. Pictures in this post http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?p=1646223 using nates plates show them no where near the exhaust and thoes plates are 1 down 1 back where as these are 1 down 1/2 back.

Thanks
I have a 120 grit wheel on, with a buffing pad on the other side.

On dremel, used a reinforced cut-off disc and a cratex wheel for deburring. I didn't do a lot of cleanup as you can't see the piece when mounted.

No custom exhaust, stock back to the Scorpion link pipe. It does tip up quicker than the stock angle, but not much. The link you sent is an 03, I know there were some differences with subframe, etc, but didn't think the exhaust had changed that much!
Just the way that his brake light switch mounts is a lot different, though. If you look at my pictures, the spring boss is on the rearset, you don't have to remove the spring or add anything at all.

·
Registered
539 Posts
too bad this doesnt work on 1st gen. cant flip em. they hit the frame. before i took mine off and put them in the tool box, i ground off the return spring tab from the rear sets. went to home depot and bought a spring. cut it in half. and made my own "graves kit" using the spring and the cap off the grinding wheel container. similar to this. just not as pretty.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I did a similar modification to my stock reservoir after putting on some Woodcraft rear sets. It would a cheaper modification than cutting into new rear set plates.

You need either a 5/8 or 3/4 inch inside diameter compression spring.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I am really happy with the Buell mod, but the recommendation to cut off the feelers was a great one, the peg is the first thing to hit the ground (or in my case, the side of my boot)
Barry

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would love to come down an inch with my pegs but not back. is there a configuration for down and forward slightly.
Yes there is and it is not too expensive. There is a model of SV650 that had plates that were about and inch forward and an inch or so lower. I got it from SuzukiSV1000.com, the article gives all the part numbers for all the parts. I did have to get the early shifter that pivoted on the footpeg, my SV1K is an 05.. No posting of attachmnets suxs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes there is and it is not too expensive. There is a model of SV650 that had plates that were about and inch forward and an inch or so lower. I got it from SuzukiSV1000.com, the article gives all the part numbers for all the parts. I did have to get the early shifter that pivoted on the footpeg, my SV1K is an 05.. No posting of attachmnets suxs.
I dont think it will work on the 650 unless you get the eniter rear set pegs plates shifter and all etc.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=107177

1 - 16 of 16 Posts