Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently high sided my 2001 SV650S so I'm doing a lot of rework in terms of sanding, priming, and painting. It occurred to me that this will probably be the best time for me to add on a few extra parts too. I just recently bought a seal cowl and tire huggers, now I'm debating whether to get powerbronze lower fairings or belly pan. Opinions? Advice? Anyone have pictures they want to share to compare? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I like bellypans more but I havent seen too many 1st gen S models with them so im not too sure how it will look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I see a lot of pictures of the naked with belly pans a lot of S models with the lower fairings, but not a whole lot of pictures with S and belly pan. I am curious as to how it would look, though.

It almost seems like the SV650S, being a half naked bike, should retain it's essence with half fairings, and a belly pan as the add on. Although that might turn out ugly... haha.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think it boils down to if you want the wind/water/cold protection (full fairings) or just want the looks of a bellypan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the lower farrings, and even the chin spoilers. Dose anyone know where to get a lower farring? The only ones I found they wanted $600 for that piece of plastic

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the lower farrings, and even the chin spoilers. Dose anyone know where to get a lower farring? The only ones I found they wanted $600 for that piece of plastic
It took me a while to find a site for US resellers that sold it at a reasonable price. Powerbronze, a UK company, has a US site that seems to charge reasonable rates with $15 flat shipping. The lower fairings for 1st gen SV were about ~$290 or so, while the belly pan was ~$140:

http://www.powerbronzeusa.com/

There's also SuperBikeStore which is a PowerBronze reseller for USA and Canada, similar prices but a little bit higher. Although it seemed to be that when I calculated shipping cost it didn't show up, so maybe they don't charge shipping ????

http://superbikestore.com/index.htm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it boils down to if you want the wind/water/cold protection (full fairings) or just want the looks of a bellypan.
Well, I honestly didn't consider the protection aspects at first, but do the lower fairings really protect the rider that much from the elements? I'm not too worried about the bike since it's designed as a half naked bike anyways so it seems like it should be designed to withstand the elements itself.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
There was a considerable difference in protection between my naked S and a Ninja 650R I rode with full fairings. I'm sure the fully-faired SVS has similar protection to the Ninja. Not having fairing isn't really a problem unless you ride in the cold/rain, and/or don't like bugs and rocks hitting your legs. If I were in a more weather-prone area, I'd invest in full fairings in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I see. Well I've been riding half naked and haven't noticed many rocks hitting me, but I do ride at night and would appreciate the wind protection. Well at this point I think I might be more towards getting a lower fairing. Thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i'd go belly pan. they add a very cool look to the SV i think. more so than the lowers. i think lowers make it look more like popular sports bikes that are already fully faired/plastic-ed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'd go belly pan. they add a very cool look to the SV i think. more so than the lowers. i think lowers make it look more like popular sports bikes that are already fully faired/plastic-ed.
true... man, this is such a hard decision. i agree that there is something special about the SV since it's traditionally either a naked or half naked bike, the belly pan would definitely capture that essence, but would it look weird? man, i gotta see some pictures of this before going through.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man, I just tried to order a new set of lower fairings for my 1st gen SV from powerbronze USA site. The site said they were low on stock, but they emailed me saying they have none in stock and will have to get them made. 28 working days to get it made. Maybe I should just cancel and wait for someone to sell a set on the for sale forums.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the full lowers really make a difference in the rain. i have a set that i slap on for winter. don't really like the look of it, but it makes a difference. I guess it would also help a bit keeping the grime off the motor etc. i'm looking for a 2nd gen belly pan to fit on my 1st gen. I think that would look awesome. That's a really expensive projsect here in South africa tho. To get that little bit of plastic here costs nearly as much as a gixxer front end would cost me!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like how the belly pans keep the look of the SV, however I just bought a lower fairing from Poly 26, well actually I purchased it from twinshack.co.uk from poly26 and I love it. I think its the best looking fairing for this bike, especially for the price. With shipping from UK to CT it was 380 unpainted. It gave the bike a great mean look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like how the belly pans keep the look of the SV, however I just bought a lower fairing from Poly 26, well actually I purchased it from twinshack.co.uk from poly26 and I love it. I think its the best looking fairing for this bike, especially for the price. With shipping from UK to CT it was 380 unpainted. It gave the bike a great mean look.
Thanks for the link! They have some nice looking parts there. How come all the best looking SV fairing parts are always from UK sites? ???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the link! They have some nice looking parts there. How come all the best looking SV fairing parts are always from UK sites? ???
The UK does have some good parts, and is usually inexpensive. I am always surprised that the shipping isnt outrageous though. It was a 15lb box and pretty big... it had to ship from france to UK then next day air from UK and it only cost 50 pounds I think.

·
Registered
102 Posts
anyone know if a metal skid plate is available for an SV? i've seen plenty of belly plates on naked bikes, but can't say i've seen a metal skid plate on one. i think it would be much more savage looking than a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anyone know if a metal skid plate is available for an SV? i've seen plenty of belly plates on naked bikes, but can't say i've seen a metal skid plate on one. i think it would be much more savage looking than a piece of plastic.
You know that's not a bad idea. I wonder if the rumors are true that it helps activate stop lights better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts