Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me that my kickstand hangs unusually low when I'm riding.

I don't really notice, nor does it bother me when I'm riding.

But as I get more comfortable on my SV and learn to lean more in corners; the low hanging kickstand might cause an issue. I've seen videos of dudes dragging knee for the first time and get spooked when pegs start scrapping. Also, I am bit weary the kickstand might catch on the road and cause a high side.

The previous owner disabled the kill switch on the kickstand; so my SV will stay on even with the kickstand down.

How do I resolve this? Should I get a new spring? A new kickstand?

·
Registered
534 Posts
should be as simple as new kickstand springs, there are two on the backside that hold it i place. make sure they look good

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The bike will stay on with the kickstand down, but only in neutral.

Once you put it in gear, thats when the safety switch kicks in.

Any closer pics of the kickstand itself? Mine seems to be tucked pretty close to the bike on my 05

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Looks OK to me but try to find a better pic just in case.

I'm pretty sure the rad & clip ons will drag before the stock kickstand will (...atleast that was the case for me).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike will stay on with the kickstand down, but only in neutral.

Once you put it in gear, thats when the safety switch kicks in.

I misstated myself. What I really meant to say was that I can ride my SV with the kick stand down. The previous owner bypassed the kickstand switch.

This is what my low hanging kickstand looks like:

Here's what it looks like from the top.

When the stand is kicked up, it doesn't press on that switch.

Here I am using my hand to prop it up so it's pressing on the swtich.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I see you have adjustable dogbones. Was that from the PO? Your kickstand may have been modified in order to accomodate a lowered rear end. But replacing the spring would probably be a good start.

Here's a huge shot of my kickstand as reference. Yours does look noticeably lower, although it doesn't look like mine presses the button all the way.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
should be as simple as new kickstand springs, there are two on the backside that hold it i place. make sure they look good
Ditto. Simple as that.

The problem I had was finding new springs similar to OEM. Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. I started with the local Auto Zones with no luck. Eventually I bought them from a member here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So this last weekend I corrected the issue by getting new springs and it worked like a charm.

With a pair of pliers, I pried off the old springs. They were all warped and crusted up.

Next I assembled the new springs in the same way the old spring looked.

Then I used a spring clamp tool and pulled the spring hooks over the kickstand.

Here are the Suzuki part numbers in case anyone has the same issue. inner spring: 099443-14069 and outer spring: 099443-19012

1 - 9 of 9 Posts