Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question for an '03S... The low fuel light doesn't flash when the fuel gets low - it goes from off to steady on, with about 4L left in the tank. But according to the manual, it should flash at the 4L mark, and then go steady at 1.5L remaining.
Any idea what the problem could be? Common issue/fixes? I'm handy with tools & electrical, so prefer to replace components instead of a complete part if possible, to save $$ and environmental waste.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
K3-4 have a single fuel level sensor that only turns the warning light on. Later K5+ have two sensors which allow the flashing then solid warnings.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
Then do it like I did and run the tank dry a couple of times. That apparently damaged my fuel thermistor so now I only get a fast flashing light when I'm really low on fuel. The slow flashing light is gone. I kind of like it since I tend to prefer to ride at least 180 mi before fueling up.
As I understand it, the two thermistors are rated differently, so the cluster determines whether to flash or solid light by seeing the upper thermistor first, and then adding in the lower. If it were to see the lower one first, without seeing the upper one, it hyper flashes the light to show there is a problem in the system.

I did not understand this before I put my fuel pump into my newer tank, so what I did was reverse the two pins, hoping to see a solid light first and then a flashing light, but instead, it hyper flashes when it gets to the upper thermistor.

I've been too lazy to take it all apart and fix it since.

When I do, I'll just leave off the upper thermistor and get the hyper flash when the fuel level reaches the lower thermistor the same as your bike does.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
K3-4 have a single fuel level sensor that only turns the warning light on. Later K5+ have two sensors which allow the flashing then solid warnings.
Oh that makes much more sense! I did not know this - I also have an 09 that does the flash -> solid, so thought the 03 was malfunctioning... Awesome forum here - learn something new everyday, thanks!

So the next question is (since my owner's manual is 05+) at what point should the 03 light turn on? ie with how much fuel left? 4L? 1.5L? Some other amount?

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
"at what point should the 03 light turn on? ie with how much fuel left? 4L? 1.5L? Some other amount? "

Not sure what the manual might say, but your best bet is to just run the bike until the light comes on and then fill it up.:) That way you KNOW how much is left and is way better than the manual saying something different.....and you end up walking because you ran out.
The 2nd Gen SV's tank holds 4.5 US gallons (4.25 if CA emission version) and it's pretty easy to push a hose or tube down to the bottom and suck out all of the fuel. I do this if/when I need to service the pump inlet screen and can get pretty much every last drop out of it. Fill from there and see for yourself how much it holds.
The tanks are the same except for the CA evaporative emissions pickup at the top and a deeper filler neck to prevent you from putting fuel into the airspace needed so the evap system doesn't suck up liquid fuel. So how much your tank holds depends on the model and also how high you fill it. Just sticking in the pump until it 'clicks' won't get you nearly full....so please experiment with filling after the light so you'll then KNOW how much you have. Ride safely!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"at what point should the 03 light turn on? ie with how much fuel left? 4L? 1.5L? Some other amount? "

Not sure what the manual might say, but your best bet is to just run the bike until the light comes on and then fill it up.:) That way you KNOW how much is left and is way better than the manual saying something different.....and you end up walking because you ran out.
The 2nd Gen SV's tank holds 4.5 US gallons (4.25 if CA emission version) and it's pretty easy to push a hose or tube down to the bottom and suck out all of the fuel. I do this if/when I need to service the pump inlet screen and can get pretty much every last drop out of it. Fill from there and see for yourself how much it holds.
The tanks are the same except for the CA evaporative emissions pickup at the top and a deeper filler neck to prevent you from putting fuel into the airspace needed so the evap system doesn't suck up liquid fuel. So how much your tank holds depends on the model and also how high you fill it. Just sticking in the pump until it 'clicks' won't get you nearly full....so please experiment with filling after the light so you'll then KNOW how much you have. Ride safely!:)
Cool thanks. Mine comes on with approx 4L left, so pretty same as for when the later models start flashing... but to me seems a bit "early" and wondered if maybe it should be 1.5L like when the later ones go solid.

anyway, no biggie, and thanks again for everyone's help here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts