Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get rid of the ugly plastic fender on my new SV650S and I had a few questions and was looking for suggestions.

I looked at the hotbodies and similar kits, but I like the idea of an integrated tail light (such as the one from Clear Alternatives) better. So for that reason, all I really need to do is fill in the hole that will be left when I remove the existing blinker/license plate assembly, right?

Are there low cost ABS plastic or metal parts that fit over the hole that will be left?

If not, are there patterns and How-To's showing how I can make one myself?

I found this: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/junej.hendry/scottishsv650site/rse_end.htm

But my tail lights seem like they are shaped differently. Although it may not matter for the undertail. The link also shows a lot of cutting, I'd rather remove fasteners if possible.

So basically, any cheaper undertail suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: I did some searching and some people seem to imply that I can use the stock fender and just basically hack off everything to leave a flat piece of plastic. My bike doesn't arrive until Saturday, so I can't confirm this. Any comments on that would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
If you use the advanced search function, you should be able to find some ideas. I just installed one that one of the forum members developed. Check out his thread here:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=96535

It does leave a little gap, but I just "filled" it with a little imagination and some leftover tool box drawer liner. Here's a picture:

Unfortunately dubtec just had a little boo-boo, and will likely be laid up for a little while. Although he seems to think it will allow him the time to fill orders a little faster.

The one I installed is a #5.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Seems like another option if I don't want to take the home built path is the Targa kit. I'd just discard the blinkers and use the Clear Alternatives ones. Sucks cuz I'd basically be paying $90 for a piece of plastic and license plate bracket...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just out of curiousity, where are you located?

I'm in the process of trying to go back from a Hamicad FE to the original rear fender (for hard luggage purposes, certainly not aesthetics). I would probably be willing to swap.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just did mine just today!! It was a competition werkes...which doesn't /hasn't gotten rave reviews on this site, but since I'm not THAT great at doing this stuff myself...I think it looks GREAT and I'm very pleased with the results. It cost me $69.00 on ebay.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I liked the look (and price) of the competition werks, but you had good results?
did it myself. I'm not mechanically inclined...I'm better with carpentry, but I'm happy with the results. I found it easy to install, but I'm sure I made a few mistakes, but everything works, I like the led plate light, the stainless steel is a good thickness - quite heavy, and the instructions were mediocre - but clear enough for me to follow.;D

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
the stock licensce plate bracket , two bolts a drill and a set of drill bits is all you need to make a fender eliminator.

This is how i made eliminators on my girlfriends SV and my GSXR. You us the stock turn signals and doesn't require more than 30 minutes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the stock licensce plate bracket , two bolts a drill and a set of drill bits is all you need to make a fender eliminator.

This is how i made eliminators on my girlfriends SV and my GSXR. You us the stock turn signals and doesn't require more than 30 minutes.
So I just hack up the existing fender? More details please.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Ok I know its dirty but spare me. These are some quick pictures of my DIY FE You don't have to cut anything the two wires are the turn signal cables. You could if you wanted to also mount a plate light. It cost me something like 3$ to make this FE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts