Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I replaced my headlight bulb on my 2001 sv650 naked, within 2 minutes it burned out the low beam filament, high beam works fine. wtf? any help is greatly appreciated..

ps. I replaced the socket for the bulb also, and I am certain it is wired correctly.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Might just have been a bad bulb. Try again! And, there are Severe Service bulbs made for motorcycles that have thicker/stronger construction to take the vibration better than your standard issue parts store versions. At least that is what they advertise and they seem to last very well on the bikes.

·
Banned
855 Posts
^^^^ This. I accidentally got some finger oil on the bulb the last time I changed mine out and within about two minutes it burnt out. Luckily I had bought a two pack.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Mine burns out consistently at almost exactly 15,000 miles. Really, like clockwork. But, I'd bet with yours it's a smudge on the bulb.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have just over 20K on my svs stock bulbs wanting to get the ZXE bulb when i get a chance and the funds just bought a set of Ebay stands thiss weekend so I'm broke for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having a similar problem here, though both low or high beam will burn out in a few minutes of being installed.

-2001 SV650 (N)
-Stock wiring and headlight (only change is addition of heated grips ~4 years ago)
-Using Sylvania 9003 (Silverstar model) headlights. Problem repeated with two new bulbs.
-wires and connections look good

Previous Sylvania 9003's (the "ultra" version) were in there for ~2years before they burned out. Now, I put in a bulb (and *don't* touch the glass) and after 2-5 minutes of running it burns out (broken filament). Switch to high beam-- it's good at first though also burns out after another 2-5 minutes. No significant vibration, this happens even sitting in my garage. All other lights are a-ok.

Thoughts? Bad timing for daylight savings.. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree, it's probably a bad bulb. An unexpected amount of vibration can take a toll too, but sounds like that wasn't an issue here.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Having a similar problem here, though both low or high beam will burn out in a few minutes of being installed.

-2001 SV650 (N)
-Stock wiring and headlight (only change is addition of heated grips ~4 years ago)
-Using Sylvania 9003 (Silverstar model) headlights. Problem repeated with two new bulbs.
-wires and connections look good

Previous Sylvania 9003's (the "ultra" version) were in there for ~2years before they burned out. Now, I put in a bulb (and *don't* touch the glass) and after 2-5 minutes of running it burns out (broken filament). Switch to high beam-- it's good at first though also burns out after another 2-5 minutes. No significant vibration, this happens even sitting in my garage. All other lights are a-ok.

Thoughts? Bad timing for daylight savings.. Thanks in advance!

Check voltage at the plug with the bike running. Same thing happened to me with two different bulbs. Turns out I had something like 18 volts going to the thing. After a new R/R, problem fixed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check voltage at the plug with the bike running. Same thing happened to me with two different bulbs. Turns out I had something like 18 volts going to the thing. After a new R/R, problem fixed.
I'll give it a try-- thanks.

Think it's likely the heated grips are causing R/R to fail? Heated grips were turned off during bulb failure, but have been used a couple times over the last week. This is the stock RR (which I've already replaced once) and I've read recommendations for a GSXR replacement. Maybe it's time to do it.

Will let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
the only headlight probs I had was blowing the 10a low beam fuse and thinking it's the bulb...I returned bulbs kinda thing[in the parking lot] only to get home and check...doh!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I had installed an 80/100 watt bulb on my last SV. The high beam constantly burned out. But I'm sure this was due to the 100 watts the bulb put out, not any failing of the bike.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Just thinking about this, if a halogen-type bulb doesn't get adequate voltage they won't work properly. Not just about light output, but the halides that facilitate the recombination of the filament don't do their magic if under temperature and so the filament will deposit itself on the inside of the bulb and soon fail. They only work within a fairly narrow voltage range according to what I've read...so if you experience frequent bulb failures it would be a good idea to test the system voltage. My stock bulbs are still working at over 21K...though I attribute some of this to having bought replacement bulbs in advance. Prepare for things and they're less likely to happen.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts