Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudest Pipe

22K views 55 replies 36 participants last post by  swiest152 
#1 ·
i was wondering what the loudest pipe i can get for my bike is

i would like it to add some power too...is there a list anywhere for db ratings and hp increase?

i know it varies, but im sure some are louder than others, and some add more hp than others

right now im thinkin about gettin a carbon M4 or even a Holeshot

i also want to make the whole exhaust pipe black...what kind of coating would have to be applied to the pipe, or is there actually an aftermarket pipe that is black...i haven't found one yet

#2 ·
The "Loudest" from my past experiences have always been D&D pipes, dunno why but they are just, IMO, obnoxiously loud compared to any other pipes for any other bikes. The Six-fitty isn't gonna sound like a Big-Displacement bike if that's what yer after though....

#5 ·
Fred2004 said:
i was wondering what the loudest pipe i can get for my bike is

i would like it to add some power too...is there a list anywhere for db ratings and hp increase?

i know it varies, but im sure some are louder than others, and some add more hp than others

right now im thinkin about gettin a carbon M4 or even a Holeshot

i also want to make the whole exhaust pipe black...what kind of coating would have to be applied to the pipe, or is there actually an aftermarket pipe that is black...i haven't found one yet
Go to the track and take a look at what the bikes are running. I see more M4 pipes out there than anything else. Seems to me that m4 makes more power across the board, and is tried and true by the racers out there.

The Holeshot is a bit louder, but I think the M4 looks better and makes more power.

#6 ·
{PMS}fishy said:
Go to the track and take a look at what the bikes are running. I see more M4 pipes out there than anything else. Seems to me that m4 makes more power across the board, and is tried and true by the racers out there.

The Holeshot is a bit louder, but I think the M4 looks better and makes more power.
slipons don't really make more power. you need a full system to get anything noticable.

#12 ·
Just so we're all on the same page here, I believe he wanted "Loudest". In my personaly opinion, yes M4 makes a much better slip-on/complete exhaust for SV's than anyone currently. They just aren't "Loud" though. ???

#15 ·
Howdy, I'm new here. I just crashed my 1997 Green mint-cond TL1000S into a red light runner yesterday and now my most favourite of all bikes is no more. I doubt I'll find another the same, so maybe I'll end up with an SV1000. Anyway, I had a full race Yosh RS-3 system on the TL and I absolutely loved the sound and character of the bike with that exhaust. But a friend of mine has a Honda VTX1800 with unbelievably loud pipes and when I went riding with him if he was within a mile his flatulent elephant sound would drown out my TL's exhaust, (and his bike was loud too), which I found annoying enough to understand why a TL or SV owner would seek the loudest exhaust. But louder doesn't necessarily mean sweeter sounding, so that's why I'm searching the forums. But what I'm finding is everybody who's ever heard one system thinks it's the best, and nobody seems to have been able to do side-by-side comparisons.

#16 ·
Dunno Fred. I just put an M4 on my 650, and it is plenty loud. I ran it for a day with no pipe at all, and I swear that it didn't quiet it down all that much when I put the can on. Seriously, it's LOUD.

I'd also like to find out howe to black out the pipes, as I want everything on my bike either red or flat black. I thought of header tape, but someone mentioned that it may be detrimental to the bike. Consider this a bump I suppose, if anyone has info on this please holler.

#17 ·
RandyO said:
my V&H is loud, I'd compare it to almost anything except maybe a straightpiped hardley is a little louder, but I have 100,000 miles on the exaust without any repacking
So pretty much it doesnt have any packing....

#18 ·
alabaster said:
Dunno Fred. I just put an M4 on my 650, and it is plenty loud. I ran it for a day with no pipe at all, and I swear that it didn't quiet it down all that much when I put the can on. Seriously, it's LOUD.

I'd also like to find out howe to black out the pipes, as I want everything on my bike either red or flat black. I thought of header tape, but someone mentioned that it may be detrimental to the bike. Consider this a bump I suppose, if anyone has info on this please holler.
For flat black, go for Duplicolor High Temperture engine enamel with ceramic in "Low Gloss Black," the color is nearly identical to the satin black of 2nd gen frames. Check it:

#20 ·
Insert Quote
Quote from: RandyO on August 31, 2005, 02:48:42 PM
my V&H is loud, I'd compare it to almost anything except maybe a straightpiped hardley is a little louder, but I have 100,000 miles on the exaust

Nudist said:
So pretty much it doesnt have any packing....

packing has been gone for well over 50,000 miles, I think about 15,000 miles ago, I heard it spit the rusted burnt & broken baffle out to.. I think it's just a hollow echo chamber now

#21 ·
incredibleman said:
.... But louder doesn't necessarily mean sweeter sounding, so that's why I'm searching the forums. But what I'm finding is everybody who's ever heard one system thinks it's the best, and nobody seems to have been able to do side-by-side comparisons.
I hear you on the loud not necessarily equalling sweet-sounding.  I've heard a bunch of different exhausts on the SV, hell, I had three different ones on my own bike.  The short list: dual renegades (currently on my bike), single renegade, holeshot, yosh, M4 / V&H (both formerly on bike), V&H, D&D, Jardine, ART, 2Bros, Devil, Remus, Leo Vince, Micron, Muzzy, Staintune, and I'm sure a couple more I'm forgetting at the moment.

IMO, if you want loud, the D&D, ART, and Leo Vince would be your pipes of choice.  If you want sweet sound (nice and deep but not excessively loud), dual renes, ART, yosh.  Again, my opinion.

And if you want black pipes, the best way (albeit more expensive) is to have the headers/midpipes ceramic coated.  Some, but not all, powder coaters can do this.  The one that did mine charged $130.  Here's a pic:

#22 ·
Not sure about loud, but as far as quality and overall awesomeness, they are Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Termignoni, and Leo Vince (in no order).

All the others are the ho-hum average brands.

The only problem with the ones above though is that they are crazy expensive, for probably only a 5% better product, but hey, being the best costs money.

#23 ·
Sean Newman said:
Not sure about loud, but as far as quality and overall awesomeness, they are Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Termignoni, and Leo Vince (in no order).

All the others are the ho-hum average brands.

The only problem with the ones above though is that they are crazy expensive, for probably only a 5% better product, but hey, being the best costs money.
Oh yeah, add Akrapovic to my list. Heard that one too.

FWIW, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean they're the best (i.e., most power or best sound). Typically, more expensive gets you better materials/workmanship and maybe development, but not always.

#26 ·
Northwind said:
You've never encountered Arrow, clearly.
Yeah I still wouldn't put Arrow as better than the four I listed, but instead of grouping all other brands together below those four, I could have said "and all other brands are somewhere between these brands and junk".

Arrow, D&D, Jardine, M4, Two Bros, Micron, Scorpion, Hindle, Holeshot, etc can all fight over the scraps, but Akro, Yosh, LV, and Term are the best brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.