Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have aftermarket mufflers....

Do you get annoying by the noise of you muffler?
Is that pretty much all you can hear when you ride your bike?
How many of you use earplugs?
Are you deaf in your right (double exhaust) both ears?

I just installed a new muffler in my bike and it's fuvking loud. Bothers me a little bit in the right ear, asked my brother and he says is not that loud but when I'm on the bike I feel like everyone can hear it. Thinking on using an earplug for my right ear only.

·
Registered
384 Posts
-Love the sound of my loud bikes
-Yes it is all that I can hear when I'm not listening to my music
-No earplugs for me
-No I'm not deaf yet
Everyone's ears can tolerate different levels of sound db

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess is because I always had stock smufflers on my cars....No really used to loud mufflers....guess I'll get used to it....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Even the loudest bikes wont be as damaging to the rider as wind noise. That is what poses the greatest threat to riders of hearing loss. Even with a full face helmet on. Some even say that a full face will make some aspects of wind noise worse from reverberations in the shell. Bottom line, wear ear plugs if you want to keep your hearing working well in your future. For those that havent tried it, its actually nice.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
my pipe is so loud I can't even hear myself think. I always use earplugs on the freeway. In the city, I skip the earplugs if I can take breaks every half hour or so to let my ears rest. It is not loud noise that damages your ears, it's prolonged loud noise.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My Scorpion Street Extreme is loud. Does it bother me? Only on longer rides - for this I put in the dB killer (removable baffle).

Always wear earplugs if you plan on getting on the highway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Negative.

Turbo-Back exhaust on the car, M4 slip-on on the bike.

Neither are the loudest examples for either machine, but they both are audible.

I love them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't really think my Yoshimura TRS slip-on is that loud. Wind noise is the problem. I wear ear plugs. I love music too much to risk any more hearing loss than what I gave up in my foolish loud car stereo and frequent rock concert days.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I always wear ear plugs when I ride because of wind noise. I have stock exhaust. I've had loud bikes and found them all absolute miseries. It's more restful, especially on longer rides, to have a quiet bike. Easier to concentrate, too. I've been riding for 47 years now and haven't had a loud bike since I was in my 20s. If I bought a bike with loud pipes I'd change them out.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't do the superslab, and most of my rides are about a half hour, so I'm not up on wind noise yet. I'll get there. When I chopped my stock muffler, I left enough of the innards so that it's not much louder than stock, but the note is a LOT lower, so it's easier to hear (which I really like).

I'll be trying ear plugs soon, though. My dad is stone deaf (mostly from doing a lot of wood working with no ear protection), and I don't want to follow in his footsteps.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You folks with loud pipes might say they don't bother you, but I guarantee they bother everyone around you. Deep is nice, loud is annoying.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You folks with loud pipes might say they don't bother you, but I guarantee they bother everyone around you. Deep is nice, loud is annoying.
So what's a deep can that's not obtrusive (In your opinion)? I actually like the Supertrapps because you can tune them with the plates, but not sure I like the look of the 10" Universal on the SV (just too short IMO). The only other can I like from them looks wise is the aluminum racing series, but they only come in 2" or 2.5" inlet.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
For those that have aftermarket mufflers....

Do you get annoying by the noise of you muffler?
Is that pretty much all you can hear when you ride your bike?
How many of you use earplugs?
Are you deaf in your right (double exhaust) both ears?

I just installed a new muffler in my bike and it's fuvking loud. Bothers me a little bit in the right ear, asked my brother and he says is not that loud but when I'm on the bike I feel like everyone can hear it. Thinking on using an earplug for my right ear only.
I was the same way when I installed my M4 but now I don't even notice it. Trust me, when you're on the freeway at 80mph you hear more wind noise than the sound of your exhaust. Wear earplugs if it bothers you.

Honestly, you should be wearing earplugs to protect your hearing anyway.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
-Love the sound of my loud bikes
-Yes it is all that I can hear when I'm not listening to my music
-No earplugs for me
-No I'm not deaf yet
Everyone's ears can tolerate different levels of sound db
How old are you? Hearing loss is a progressive thing that worsens as you get older. You won't notice it until one day you realize that you're constantly asking people to speak up because you can't hear them. Of course, by then it's too late.

Nobody is immune to it either.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I cut my M4 down by bout third and it's stupid loud. The guys at work love it (bunch of moto-monkies), my neighbours probably hate it (I try to ride away gently).
I don't wear plugs. I find it somewhat annoying at times, but on the other hand, I like hearing what the engine is doing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a full M4 exhaust and love the sound, I can't really tell how loud it is while riding but others have commented on how great and loud it sounds. I also wear ear plugs to keep fatigue down from wind/road noise.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts