Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 SV650S, 66,000 kms/41,000 miles, owned since new, all maintenance up to date.

Just looking for some feedback. Just recently, as in the last couple of days, I've noticed a very pronounced tick coming from the motor once it's warmed up. I can't hear the tick when the motor is cold, and when it's warm I can't hear the tick when the motor is revved up, but warm motor and low rpm it's very noticeable. The bike seems to run okay. Not suddenly lacking power or misfiring.

I've had the bike since new, and am quite familiar with the normal SV noises. The is not normal valve train or injector noise. It's excessive, and came about rather suddenly. Last valve check was at 48,000 kms, and valves were on the tight side of mid-point, but still in spec. Next check is supposed to be at 72,000 kms, so now wouldn't be all that early, but I expect the valves to get tighter and quieter, not louder.

Timing chain/tensioner? But wouldn't it be noisy cold too? Suddenly bad injector causing excessive noise? Wouldn't the bike run poorly?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How would a bent valve or broken valve spring sound?

Can anyone with experience recommend a particular order of operations to eliminate possibilities?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
It is pretty normal for these engines. I can't tell for sure based on your description but my SV has had a little valve noise as long as I can remember. When were the valves last checked? If you want you can install a manual cam chain tensioner next time you are in there. If it seems like it is still running well and all the valves are in spec I would just keep riding it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is pretty normal for these engines. I can't tell for sure based on your description but my SV has had a little valve noise as long as I can remember. When were the valves last checked? If you want you can install a manual cam chain tensioner next time you are in there. If it seems like it is still running well and all the valves are in spec I would just keep riding it.
It's definitely not the normal ticking / valve noise. I'm pretty familiar with that after all these years and miles. It's noticeably louder, and it came about in a very short period. The timing of the ticking sounds like the rhythm of valves, but every once in a while it'll miss a tick.

Valves were last checked 18,000 kms ago (still in spec but getting tighter), and due again about 6k from now, but I'll be digging in this week to check them now that this has started happening. I would have expected the valves to go quiet though, not suddenly louder.

Assuming the valves check out okay, what would be the next step in the process of elimination? Is there anything around the cam chain / tensioner that could be broken and cause this?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You could have cam chain slap. I would suggest getting a new timing chain and mcct while checking the valves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could have cam chain slap.
I'm leaning towards this (or hoping). Had a little bit of free time this evening so drained the oil. Nothing unusual, no shiny slivers or bits, so that's a good start. Drained and removed the rad while I was at it to make the front cylinder a bit easier to access. I noticed my rad overflow tank was dry; it was at the high mark about two months ago. hmm.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
These engines are pretty dang solid. I don't think you have big issues yet. Pull the cover and measure the slack in the chain per the manual. If it is stretched as I suspect it is then replace it and throw in a manual tenioner. Done and done.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Valves were all still in spec. Visually nothing looked amiss. Those CCT's look like an absolute b*tch to get to. Any tricks to make that task easier?

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I just used a series of tools, extensions (wobble) etc. to get to them. I don't remember exactly. The last time I did it the engine was out of the bike so that made it really simple. Did you measure the slack in the chain while you had the cover off?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you measure the slack in the chain while you had the cover off?
No. How do you measure slack in the cam chain? Draw tight across the top and measure distance of 16 pins (timing pin count)? Funny thing is, Chapter 9 of the manual indicates to replace the cam chain if it's stretched, but doesn't indicate the service limit or even the default new measurement, so how do you know if it's stretched or not?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the top cam chain guide off and validated the timing. No jumped teeth on either cylinder. Chains felt taught on both cylinders, with very little play. hmm.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Our friend Beverage doesn't seem to be around lately, so no resolution on his noise. But if you are in a similar situation don't forget that an exhaust leak can make a noise that sounds VERY much like a cam tapping. This has fooled more than one mechanic seeking to quiet the ticking and tightening the exhaust bolts/nuts at the head and/or replacing the gaskets did the deed in the end.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just finished up a valve adjustment and heard a very slight clicking sound when I fired the bike up. It wasn't very loud, but it was different than before. I promptly shut it off again. Right now, I have the valve covers off and timing looks good and the chain is nice and firm. Engine rotates fine by hand, no binding or funny sounds even after many full revolutions. I'm possibly just being a bit paranoid. Although, one thing did happen while reinstalling the front cams; I carefully rotated the motor by hand before installing the CCT and the chain slipped off one of the sprockets. (very dumb, I know) The valve made a firm slapping sound as it closed. Is it possible that the valve has been deformed? Seems pretty unlikely to me since it's closed by the force of the spring each revolution. Regardless, I'm considering pulling the front head to inspect. Opinions?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Although, one thing did happen while reinstalling the front cams; I carefully rotated the motor by hand before installing the CCT and the chain slipped off one of the sprockets. (very dumb, I know) The valve made a firm slapping sound as it closed. Is it possible that the valve has been deformed? Seems pretty unlikely to me since it's closed by the force of the spring each revolution. Regardless, I'm considering pulling the front head to inspect. Opinions?

The thing I worry about if the cam slips is a valve striking a piston and bending. Just closing won't hurt them because the closing velocity you saw is MUCH less than their normal speeds when being run, so no harm should be done.

When properly adjusted they'll make a ticking noise, but it should be pretty slight and 'mechanical' sounding. In fact, with solid lifters you should hear them working in there at low speeds. If the valve train is completely quiet (like some desire) they are likely too tight. Double check the clearances and if OK...ride.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
The thing I worry about if the cam slips is a valve striking a piston and bending. Just closing won't hurt them because the closing velocity you saw is MUCH less than their normal speeds when being run, so no harm should be done.

When properly adjusted they'll make a ticking noise, but it should be pretty slight and 'mechanical' sounding. In fact, with solid lifters you should hear them working in there at low speeds. If the valve train is completely quiet (like some desire) they are likely too tight. Double check the clearances and if OK...ride.:)
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought, but I needed to hear it again from another person. I think I over reacted a bit when I heard the clicking sound. I have it apart now and have checked the cam settings and will triple check the clearances before buttoning it all up. Better safe than sorry. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts