Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, i hate to beat a dead horse, but the clanking got alot worse...bad enough where there is definatly something wrong.....it sounded like the valves were taking a beating...but....pulled the head and there was no evidence of any contact between the valves and the piston......
no shavings in the oil....all the valve springs seem good, all the shim deals underneath the valve spring cap deals are there....valves all actuate fine, piston is tight, no slap....no scoring on the cylinder wall, cam bearing/head seems fine??i'm really stumped and would really appreciate any help...any suggestions??? the bike is apart right now down to the head so if i need to go any deeper no would be the time...thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
If the clanking has been getting worse, alot worse, and it's louder when hot, and you checked the parts in the head, I'm afraid that a rod bearing is probably blowing it's guts.  :'( It ain't the first time it's happened to a SV engine that has done wheelies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, here's what happened...it had this rattling noise that i tried to diagnose...well, i couldn't find out the noise so i was just going to let it be...well, i rode it up and down the road a couple times...and the last time i got on it wot to make sure it was ok...well, i got off of it and it started to make a really loud clanking noise and i shut it off...i took off the head and cylinder....the piston looked fine, the cylinder looked fine and the rod bearing had a little play side to side, but nothing out of the ordinary or it didn't seem and no longitudinal play...the wrist pin didn't have any play up or down or side to side and slid fine back and forth on the con rod fine.....i can't find anything out of the ordinary or wrong....everything looks fine?? the exhaust cam has a little side to side play in it, but nothing that would cause the noise i'm getting....the weird thing is it sounds like it's coming right out of the top of the head?? it's not really a deep knock like a crank or bottom rod bearing???

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Did you pull both heads and cylinders and check? Check the lower ends of the rods to see if one is discolored, check pistons for cracks, check to see if ignition/charging rotor is coming loose. Just some suggestions but a noise that is getting worse and alot louder after running engine hard is pointing towards the crankshaft.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i haven't pulled the rear cylinder off, just the valve cover to make sure it was in time...didn't check anything deeper, but the sound seems like it is coming from the top of the front cylinder head. i'm going to have it checked out today, if it checks out i'll probably pull the cylinder back off, but i'll check the flywheel etc.....today...maybe i'll take some pics to see if anyone has any ideas...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rod bearing...here we go...got it out....we're gonna see how hard sv's are to build...lol...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am suprised there wasnt any shavings in the oil, you should have cut the filter as the first diagnostic test, but I guess you had to tear it all down anyhow. So did you catch it in time to save the crank and rod?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, crank and rod are still in good shape...going to order bearings tomorrow....they're really not that bad at all..i didn't even have to split the cases to get the rods off??? i guess that's another plus to a v twin..lol...ya..one of the bearings was flattened and had a pretty jagged front edge...i still can't figure out why i didn't see shavings in the oil....but then again i didn't cut up the filter either...either way i'm still in good condition...it was cheap enough to warrant this type of work i guess...lol....any tips on putting it back together???it came apart pretty easy..had the motor out in under an hour....lol...now i know some of you can probably do it in 20 minutes...but for a first time sv'r...i thought it was pretty good...lol...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hate to say it, but its pretty unlikely that your crank and con rods are ok. Especially if it was as loud as you say. I've been through this and had to tear it down more times than I care to admit. I would have the crank checked out by someone you trust who knows these things, believe me you only want to do this once. Mine wasn't very loud at all, the crank and rods looked fine with no longitudinal play and they were toast. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i'm still trying to locate the source of my noise. i had a mechanic take a ride on it and he couldn't here the noise. its not the loud especially to those not used to the bike but it still sticks out to me.

stool, if you remember, what noise was your bike making prior to failure? what kind of riding etc do you do? what's your mileage. i guess same questions to you matt.

thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, this past weekend shit hit the fan.

What's been a small rattle from 4 to 6k turned to louder clatter and then to really bad clanking etc. I was on a long ride and still about 50 miles from home (about halfway down the side of mount hamilton if you live around here). I tried to limp a bit further, at least to the bottom of the hill, but finally it just seized up and wouldn't turn over at all when i tried to restart it. I got a tow service and had to leave the bike in front of a local shop (tow cost $125) as it was saturday night and couldn't get in touch with any friends with trucks. the shop doesn't open until tuesday so i have to just leave it there until then. hope it doesn't get stolen.

So I'm thinking the engine is f#cked. and i'm pissed about the whole thing. It's a 2002 and I've put a lot of miles on it -- about 37k but have been religous about oil changes and maintenance. I don't do long wheelies but I do ride hard and had defintely put it thru its paces yesterday. I question the long term reliability of these bikes--unless they are completely babied.

I guess I have to wait until the shop can open her up to see what my options are. I'm getting married in a few months and the fiancee immediately crapped on any idea I had of getting a new bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the banging is coming from the bottom, yeah your rods are probably shot, and a new crank is expensive as hell ($650.00!!!!!). I had to rebuild mine (hence my signature) and now my buddy is about to have to do the same on his 00 SV. Making the same sound.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
pepperell said:
So, this past weekend s**t hit the fan. 

What's been a small rattle from 4 to 6k turned to louder clatter and then to really bad clanking etc.  I was on a long ride and still about 50 miles from home (about halfway down the side of mount hamilton if you live around here).  I tried to limp a bit further, at least to the bottom of the hill, but finally it just seized up and wouldn't turn over at all when i tried to restart it.  I got a tow service and had to leave the bike in front of a local shop (tow cost $125) as it was saturday night and couldn't get in touch with any friends with trucks.  the shop doesn't open until tuesday so i have to just leave it there until then.  hope it doesn't get stolen.

So I'm thinking the engine is f#cked.  and i'm pissed about the whole thing.  It's a 2002 and I've put a lot of miles on it -- about 37k but have been religous about oil changes and maintenance.  I don't do long wheelies but I do ride hard and had defintely put it thru its paces yesterday.  I question the long term reliability of these bikes--unless they are completely babied. 

I guess I have to wait until the shop can open her up to see what my options are.  I'm getting married in a few months and the fiancee immediately crapped on any idea I had of getting a new bike. 

what do you consider babying ?

my dealer mentioned something to me about rebuilt engins beig availble for SVs

·
Registered
73 Posts
RandyO said:
what do you consider babying ?

my dealer mentioned something to me about rebuilt engins beig availble for SVs
being gentle with her; shifting early and accelerating gently. keeping it below 7,000 vs. above. basically how i ride when i commute vs. how i ride on the weekend in the twisties.

matt-tastic, you ever figure out what happened to yours?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This may not be your ideal solution, but you can score used motors on ebay. I got a nice condition 650 motor ebay style for like 600 shipped. It runs perfectly. I know it's not cheap, but if your crank is hosed and can't be resurfaced (or rod big ends) then this may be a viable alternative. You need to remember that you could part out your motor now and make a good chunk of change.

Figure:

Good tranny and cases for 200ish
Cams or maybe heads whole for 200ish
and so on.

You may even come out even. Don't dispair buddy!

·
Registered
82 Posts
pepperell said:
$600. damn that's not bad. i was figuring a grand easily.
Remember you won't need carbs or a wiring harness or anything. Just the bare motor.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
pepperell said:
being gentle with her; shifting early and accelerating gently.  keeping it below 7,000 vs. above.   basically how i ride when i commute vs. how i ride on the weekend in the twisties. 

matt-tastic, you ever figure out what happened to yours? 
I will suggest that keeping the tach above 7k is beating on it, it's one thing to rev to redline, it's another to keep the tach above 7k all the time, you can ride faster IMHO with smoothness

·
Registered
73 Posts
RandyO said:
I will suggest that keeping the tach above 7k is beating on it, it's one thing to rev to redline, it's another to keep the tach above 7k all the time, you can ride faster IMHO with smoothness
ride below 7000?!? ha ha ha. there's no power down there. i was just barely keeping up with a dude on an LC4 supermoto in some tight twisties.

i'm kidding. on a normal cruise i usual keep rpms lower and concentrate on smoothness. in the twisties though i like the engine braking before and strong drive out of corners from high rpm. i don't usual keep it up that high all the time.

i know a ton of people race these bikes and most keep the rpms cranked most the time. i wonder how these engines hold up or if they're rebuilt often enough to spot problems before they happen. where's Zoran?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts