Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my whole set of keys at the bar this weekend, including the only key to my '03 SV650S. I checked everywhere I went on Friday with no luck...

My local Suzuki dealership told me the ignitions to some bikes can be taken apart so they can figure out the tumblers, while others are permanently closed, requiring a totally new lock set ($230).

My question is: Does anyone know off-hand if the 2003 SV650's ignition switch can be taken apart far enough to make a key? Or does anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you wrote your key code down in the owners manual you could reference it & get a new key from Suzuki. Of course, if you didn't your sol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a new ignition, 2 sets of keys, and a new tail-latch release/lock off eBay for $80! That might be an option to look into. As far as bing able to dissasemble the igntion, I dont know if thats possible. My igntion assemble was drilled out and cut in half when my bike was stolen, so I just replaced the whole ignition assembly.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I've been through both (lost my only key in the river and then had to replace everything due to an attempted theft).

I paid less money to replace my ignition, gas cap, and rear seat lock ($80ish) than I did to have the locksmith come out and make a new key ($100ish). That being said, you won't be able to get the gas cap off without unlocking it. When I had the locksmith come out, he had to pick the lock to the gas cap and remove it. Looked pretty simple.

Bottom line is that you will be able to have a key made. He had to take the gas cap and make the key for it, and then use a table to find the possible combinations to complete the key for the ignition. It took him about thirty minutes. It might be good to just take the ignition off and take it in, that would be about $50 I think. Not sure what the deal is with "closed" ignition, but I've certainly never heard of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Key code was never written down... lesson learned.

I see a full lock set available on eBay for $125 for an '03. Thanks for the recommendation! That's probably the easiest route.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Waiiiiit. I won't be able to get the gas cap off? Crap. The locksmith I called wanted me to bring him the parts. He won't come to my residence.

I'd like to just replace the whole set myself now, but I'll have to pick my gas cap lock? Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Waiiiiit. I won't be able to get the gas cap off? Crap. The locksmith I called wanted me to bring him the parts. He won't come to my residence.

I'd like to just replace the whole set myself now, but I'll have to pick my gas cap lock? Are you sure about that?
Pretty sure, but not 100%. Go try to remove it. You really can't find a locksmith that would come out and do it? If you replace everything, you will end up taking everything off anyway. At that point, taking it to the locksmith would be cheaper I think.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweetness. I'm an AAA member, and they'll cover a locksmith for my bike up to $100. They'll come to my house as well! This time, I'll have more than 1 key made...

Thanks for all the advice, everyone! This forum rocks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I lost my only key and learned this lesson a couple weeks ago. After looking around my area I found a locksmith who would pick it. I pulled the ignition and took it to the 'smith and $45 and 30 min later I had 3 new keys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I suppose you could remove the tank, drain it & take it to the lock smith. Kind of a PITA though.
Can't you just unscrew the 6 or so hex bolts holding the gas cap on the tank? I've never tried that on my SV, but did that on my old f4i before with no problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where do I find my key code so I can write it down?
A buddy of mine recently broke his key off in the gas cap of his CBR and had to push his bike a few blocks to a locksmith, who eventually was able to cut him a new key. Lesson learned I'm going to get a spare but still want to know the key code.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Where do I find my key code so I can write it down?
A buddy of mine recently broke his key off in the gas cap of his CBR and had to push his bike a few blocks to a locksmith, who eventually was able to cut him a new key. Lesson learned I'm going to get a spare but still want to know the key code.
Haha, yeah I've been there about the key code. If you don't have it already, you will never find it because it doesn't exist anywhere but with the original key set. I tried calling Suzuki to get the key code. There is NO VIN-Key Code cross reference. It is also nowhere on the bike. Some people say it's on the ignition tumbler or under the gas cap - it is not! Best advice is to get the ignition picked and keep several copies all over the place.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah the key code is on a metal tab that comes attached to the key ring with the original keys. If you bought new you should have it & there is a space in the owners manual to write it down in case you lose the metal tab. I bought mine pre-owned but lucky for me the PO was an organized guy. I still have the tab on my spare key ring & the code noted in my manual. Still it never hurts to have a couple spares made. Problem with many bikes is the key blanks are not readily available. I once had a Kawasaki that took me 3 weeks & like $20 just to get a blank from the dealer then I still had to have it cut to match the one key I did have.

·
Registered
843 Posts
That being said, you won't be able to get the gas cap off without unlocking it. When I had the locksmith come out, he had to pick the lock to the gas cap and remove it. Looked pretty simple.

I Drilled the tank cap out on the spare tank I bought. I used a bit slightly smaller than the assembly and drilled until it came unlatched. You don't have to go all the way through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I lost the key to my car, I took the registration and VIN to the dealer, and they were able to look up the key code by using the VIN. Not sure if this works the same with bikes, but it might be worth a shot to got to the dealer and see if they can look it up for you. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts