Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No power to the headlight, checked it at fuse box, and
it's dead. Read through the book and can't find any relays.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, there are 2 fuses for the headlight.
I was checking the high beam fuse. Turns out
the low beam was toast. I have a feeling the
aftermarket LED had something to do with it.

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
... I have a feeling the aftermarket LED had something to do with it.
If you suspect the LED is pulling too much current an easy way to check is put your multimeter in amp mode, remove the headlight fuse, then bridge the fuse contacts with the multimeter probes. That will directly read LED current draw.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I''m sure it was the LED light. It's acting up for a few
months now. High beam was flashing at night, sometimes
wouldn't work.

Just glad the headlight is on 2 different circuits for high and low!

Running a Silver Star I had for the mean time.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
If you suspect the LED is pulling too much current an easy way to check is put your multimeter in amp mode, remove the headlight fuse, then bridge the fuse contacts with the multimeter probes. That will directly read LED current draw.
Heh. The only problem with that is if there's enough draw to blow the headlight fuse, there's probably enough to blow the 10A fuse in the meter...IF it even has one.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GC, my old analog Craftsman meter has a Buss fuse in it. ;)

Looks like the built in fan on the LED is what failed.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
Remove the fuse. Use a paper clip or a nail instead. Fuses are too delicate and way overrated.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
:lmao:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok, I admit it... my friends and I used to toss .22LR rounds in the fire while camping. Without a barrel to focus the energy they don't do much damage. Not that I would do it again,, but what good is being young and invincible if you never do anything stupid :-D

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
Heh. The only problem with that is if there's enough draw to blow the headlight fuse, there's probably enough to blow the 10A fuse in the meter...IF it even has one.
Good point!

A trick to measure high current (like a high watt bulb or maybe a starter motor) without blowing your meter is put a 1ft piece of 10awg copper wire in line with what you want to measure then read the voltage drop across that wire using the multimeter milivolt scale.

1000ft of 10awg wire = 0.999ohms so one foot = 0.001 ohms

From ohms law, V=IR, one amp through one miliohm = 1milivot, therefore the milivolt scale will read amps directly, up to hundreds of amps. :naughty: The SV650 starter motor pulls about 65A.

Ok, I admit it... my friends and I used to toss .22LR rounds in the fire while camping. Without a barrel to focus the energy they don't do much damage. Not that I would do it again,, but what good is being young and invincible if you never do anything stupid :-D
As kids, my friend Buddy thought it would be fun to fire a .22 blank (blanks can't hurt you right!) by setting it on the railroad tracks then drop a cinder block on it. He shot himself in the calf with shell casing, lololo. He didn't want to tell his parents. :)

A different time, my friend Rich and I put a shot gun shell primer in a fire to make it go off. Five minutes later, still no shot. So we got down near the fire, faces at the flame, blowing on it to make it hotter, then BAMM! it went off in our faces, hahaha. The little primer is tiny but goes off like a firecracker!

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My Dad used to throw empty aerosol cans into the burn barrel.
We'd forget, and about 20 minutes later, BOOM! LOL

Anyway, pretty clever of Suzuki to use 2 different fuses for HI/LO.
If the LO blows at night, you can quickly switch to HI. On that note,
I've never had a headlight fuse blow in 41 years of riding. The LED
fan failed, and must have over heated the circuit. Working perfect now!

·
Super Moderator
8,114 Posts
Yes, it nice to have a backup circuit. :)

I do not like LED bulbs that rely on fan cooling. Passive cooling is better. Fans are a single point failure and low reliability. If the fan fails both hi and low beams can overheat.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I was SOL when the HID in my N headlight stopped working since the bulb is both hi and low beam, just a shade moves when switching to hi.

I have since switched to a Harley round headlight that uses two separate bulbs for hi and lo.

·
MOTORADOR
10,781 Posts
As kids, my friends and I...
Oh, wait, I had no friends when I was a kid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts