Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x I know some of the guys riding the naked SV have had the front plug get water into the slot, and cut out, well I just had it happen on my 02 SVS.  Sucks coming home in the rain and loosing all that power.  :evil:  

Nothing wrong with just pulling the wire, and letting it dry out is there :?:

by the way, the M-1s work great in the rain.  Just thought I'd let you all know.  I was able to do stoppies, even while raining.  That is impressive to me.  I did them in the middle of nowhere, with zero traffic, so I don't consider it squidly, just learning the limits of traction when its wet out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lost the front cylinder in the rain

The same thing happened to me recently. I took the boot off the spark plug and sprayed some compressed air in there. A pretty good amount of water drained out when I took that off and some blew out with the air... I let it dry for a few minutes, started her up and she was good as new!

I thought it might dry out and waited a day or two before that. Never happened.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Heeeey!
This might be why my SVS isn't running right since I washed it! (see recent thread: \"Is there something wrong with my SVS?\"

Could it be that I hosed it down thoroughly and now I've water where it shouldn't be? (even though it was daaayz ago!) :?:

Do you get temperary loss of power when harsh winding on, only to have it suddenly jerk into life a second later?

:idea: I may have to review the way I wash my bike!

PS: Spraying water reppellent around the engine may help a tad I think. I just bought some special bike stuff the other week which leaves a protective coating round your engine. :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don't know, I sprayed it with some WD-40 into the hole, dryed it out with some paper towels, and left it open to dry out a bit more. I'll try it when I get home from work.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

An old trick we used to use to keep spark plugs from getting wet was to add silicone jelly (not sealant, not spray, ...jelly) or even just vasoline in the spark plug boot before putting it back on to the plug. A good gob of it. Reason being of course that the silicone/vasoline would keep the water out. Also prevented any corrosion in the boot itself. It did not interfere with condutivity as the contact point within the boot remain metal to metal. Once we 'healed' a 66 Shelby GT 350 where the hood scoop would put rain right on top of the the distributor (which is in the front on 289s) hence killing the ignition. Cheap fix...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers

That sounds like an excellent idea!
I should have done that with my old Gillera 180 Runner (the HT lead kept corroding from the rain)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'll have to do that when I reasemble the bike after work today. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Fenda Extenda

I put a Fenda Extenda from Holeshot on soon after I got my SV and have not seen any wet plug problems. And I live in rainy southern Louisiana. The silicon jelly is also a good dose of prevention.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Shouldn't this be something that the manufacturer should HAVE to fix?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Probably, but if I can spend 15 minutes and get a solution, sometimes its not worth the time. Also, part of it is that the plug wire has a cap, and if it isn't sealed right you are more prone to this problem. I probably didn't seal it right when I changed my sparkplugs out. so its a mixture, not just a manufacturer problem.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I sometimes use a damp hand towel between the radiator and the sparkplug hole. Works great. I am going to give that silicone jelly/vaseline trick a shot. Oh yeah, I have an SVS as well - when I mentioned the problem at my dealership, everyone from sales to mechanic played dumb... I was glad I found a way around it, otherwise I woulda been making some serious trouble (probably more to myself then them considering they probably would have just stonewalled me..)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re:

\" \" said:
Shouldn't this be something that the manufacturer should HAVE to fix?
The plug cap has a groove it it, there is an arrow on the plug cap that should be lined up with an arrow on the head. On the RHS of the engine is a hole, any water that goes down drains out of the hole. Suzuki ahs already designed a solution for this. Most times people have problem swith this is if the cap isn't on right, or the hole is plugged up. Use a pipe cleaner to clean the hole.

Andy 8)

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Re: Lost the front cylinder in the rain

Mine hadn't done that in the year and 12.5k miles I've been riding in all sorts of weather. It started doing it a few days ago :( It died on me this morning because it didn't have enough power for the RPM and rate at which I release the clutch normally. SUCKO

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

The silicon goop fix is the way to go IMO.. I kept the drain hole clear and the cap fitted properly, and hten tried a brand new cap, still had problems in the wet. A lot of SV riders in the UK- where we tend to ride more in the wet, and get more of it- fit fender extenders for the same reason but I think the silicon is a better fix, and cheaper. Where I used to have problems in heavy rains, now I can cross fords or ride through 50 metres of floods with no problems. Well, except for wet feet and Terror.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I came up with an alternative solution to this as well. I checked out a k3 and noticed that there is a little rubber flap that is fitteed to a bracket on the bottom of the radiator. This stops water from spraying up onto the front of the plug & is a damn sight better looking & cheaper than a fender extender.

The carbed bikes don't have this bracket & you can't fit it as the bottom of the radiator has been modified slightly. What you can do is use a simple metal strip and a 100mm wide section of rubber and fix it to the bottom mounting bolt for your thermo fan. This covers the front of the plug & is nice & inconspicuous, not to mention bloody cheap.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've heard for years on this board that dialectric grease was the way to go. Hit the metal to metal contacts inside the boots with the dialectric stuff, stick it back on and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts

PeterM said:
I came up with an alternative solution to this as well.  I checked out a k3 and noticed that there is a little rubber flap that is fitteed to a bracket on the bottom of the radiator.  This stops water from spraying up onto the front of the plug & is a damn sight better looking & cheaper than a fender extender.
You'd think that would work, but, it doesnt. I have a second gen, which has that, and sorry but my bike still cuts out in the rain. I'm sure it would help, its definately better than not having that flap, but it will not fix the problem entirely. Dielectric grease fixed it for me, for $1.50 everyone should do that.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
gooping the spark plug boot is not what I would recommend

if it's leaking, then somehow the boot got distorted, replace it, no need to make a mess

if water is collecting, clean the drain simple as that

I had a problem once, long time ago, my dealer replaced the boot, every time it goes in for service, the drain is one of the things that gets attention, haven't had a problem in 90,000 miles and I've ridden in a lot of rain & water

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Not that simple, I tried replacing mine first with another used one I had spare, then with a brand new one, and neither was a perfect fix. I got the problem down to a point where it was rarely an issue but it'd still happen occasionally. But the "goop" solution is, so far, 100% effective. It's not eactly messy either, you can wipe off everything that's on the surfaces if you want.

I just remembered, Cagiva Raptors have a rather clever oversized bung that works in the same way as ours, but also includes a larger shield that covers the surrounds of the spark plug hole. Whether or not it works, I don't know :)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Northwind said:
I just remembered, Cagiva Raptors have a rather clever oversized bung that works in the same way as ours, but also includes a larger shield that covers the surrounds of the spark plug hole. Whether or not it works, I don't know :)
Hehe, you said bung, heh. Refer to avatar for explaination.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.