Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Joe Rocket RKT101 (Carbon Fiber) helmet, its just another HJC as far as I'm concerned though...

Got it a couple years ago for a good deal at like $180 - MSRP is or was way higher...

Recently I was changing lanes... and when I turned back some wind got under the edge and opened the visor- this has happened before but this time it just tore off and was gone.

I bought a new one... none of the plastic was broken... it just somehow released...

But now I am finding the new one comes off pretty easily as well..

Any suggestions? Party of me wants to make a rip cord for it so if it does come off it just dangles behind me for a bit.

Just don't want to spend another 30 on these dumb visors...

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would look at the helmet where the visor connects there is no reason it should be coming off that easy!! My old helmet was 7 yrs old and a HJC never had an issue My new helmet is Scorpion EXO500 still never had an issue like this man there might be something broken where the visor mounts to the helmet

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds like the bits that provide friction on the side plates may have worn out. If they're of the adjustable variety, they may just need to be snugged down.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No adjustment :/ I checked, I didn't see anything really worn , and no broken plastic either... Wonder if the spring that holds it in place has fatigued a bit... just seems like if it was a tighter spring it would work better.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
new sideplates are about $12-15pr that'll fix it...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Might be time to start shopping for a new lid. Your vision is not something to mess around with at 70mph. If theres something worth investing in rather than making small fix after small fix it's a new helmet.

The idea with a tether just sounds dangerous. Anything like that is just asking to get snagged, not to mention the parachute effect it would have on your neck if the visor came off while riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts