Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. It happened (again).

I was out for a ride, on my way to see Nils (Nille, member of this forum). Was doing around 100 mph on the autobahn and it was a nice sunny day, around 78 outside. All of a sudden my rpm's start rolling back and my bike starts running rough. I also started to slow down significantly.

Then I got a big cloud of blue smoke behind my bike and lost all the power. I managed to make it off the high way (was right near an off ramp).

Had to get the bike trailored home though :(

So now I have an engine that won't stay running, smokes a thick smelly blueish/whitish smoke and ticks with every move of the piston. There's no power and it won't idle. I only tried starting it once since, but it's gone.

So my engine is now M.I.A. :'(

I will try to take the engine out of the frame over the weekend. I probably have to overhaul the complete top end the way it looks.

My bike is a 2006 SV650S with lower fairings. I have 25.000 km on it on the moment.

This weekend was a sad weekend!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question. Does anyone know if the 99-02 cylinders are the same as the 03 and up?

In other words. If I buy 2 cylinders and pistons from a gen 1, will they fit my gen2?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone know if the 81mm GSX1400 pistons are the same as the 81mm Hayabusa pistons? They have the same bore, just that the GSX1400 has more stroke.

I just found a set of those for cheap.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Not again :BangHead:

Did you contact the dealer who did the rebuild last time. Maybe the warranty still covers it because it's the second time.

I know a good K3 engine with around 15000km including CDI and wire harnas, only there is a side carter with a hole in it. I wanted it as a spare engine and after some thinking i did spend my money on something else. First he wanted €750 but after some mail i can have it for €500.
I did not see the engine so you need to check it out.

He is located in Nijmegen, it's not to far for you (230km) ;)

The add in Dutch.
http://link.marktplaats.nl/247993245
His mail adress
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spierings :). I will look into that. €500 doesn't sound that bad at all. I had already scouted on ebay but couldn't find anything cheap.

I don't know what caused it to go. The dealer couldn't find the reason for it to burn out the first time. Now I am only about 1500 miles further and it happened again. It sucks SO SO bad!! I will definitely be contacting the dealer again. Something is not good inside this engine, else it would not have blown twice.

Worst thing is, I lost confidence in the bike pretty bad now. I was close to just torching it :angry1:

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sucks to hear about your SV. Why are you going through engines so fast? You have gone through the original 06 motor and then a rebuilt? Is it due to wheelies, was it from a previous owner, or did you just get a bad engine to begin with?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never wheelie and yes it happened again. Only around 1000 miles ago I had it fixed under warranty. The rear cylinder/piston had burned seized in the cylinder.

The bike I bought new in 2006. All miles on it I did myself. I never drive rough, occassionaly go up to top speed.

What I have had for around a year is that my top end power seemed lower then normal.

This time though it's worse......

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so last night when I got home from work I decided to take the bike apart to see what had happened to it.

So here's how it went....

*if only she still ran*

A few screws and two tiny panels later....

Then I proceeded to take of the tank and the seat, the panels and the battery etc etc etc.

This is what I found when I opened the airbox and lifted the airfilter.

THAT'S HALF AN INCH OF OIL!!!!!!!

So now the bike looked like this:

So now the hard parts came. I took of the exhausts, the throttle bodies... etc.

And a little later I managed to get the rear cylinderhead off and look what I found...

Burned piston..... ouch....

So this is what I ended up with...

My VERY naked frame:

And a pile o' engine:

Here's a detailed view of my cylinder so you can see the extend of the damage. Remember... this cylinder was BRAND NEW 1000 miles ago!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So now it came to finding the cause of the above damage, as the dealership failed to do this the last time. They had just slammed on a new cylinder and a new piston and called it ok again.

Well I wasn't satisfied with it, but they said the engine still looked brand new inside, couldn't find anything wrong.

They were right on how new the engine looked. I went ahead and took the clutch out for example, I could not spot ANY wear on the clutchplates at all for example. That goes for most of the rest of the engine also. There amazingly wasn't any metalshavings anywhere in the engine, with this I was very happy.

Anyway, back to problem solving.

After a bit of tinkering I found the problem. It's my rear injector, so I will ahve to replace that.

What happens... the rear injector is only working half, which causes the rear cylinder to lean out and burn out. This should have been replaced/spotted the first time around, but it wasn't.

The dealership also did a crappy job putting everything together. There is only 1 OEM hoseclamp left, my fairings were tieripped on(!!!!) and a lot of my screws were missing or mismatched.

So all in all I am not surprised this happened again. I just wish it was fixed the first time around.

My plan is to get a new rear cylinder and a set of oversized (busa) pistons. I already have Gen1 intake cams to swap (had planned on that already) so those will be going in also. I will also replace the injectors with some GSXR type injectors (preferably the ten nozzle type). I will then either build my custom exhaust (like Nille did) or just leave that the way it is for now (this is killing my budget of course).

After all the above is done I will get it dyno'ed and TEKA boxed to make sure the air/fuel mixture is spot on for both cylinders to prevent this from happening again.

I apologize for not taking a lot of pics, I was too busy taking everything apart (and had nasty hands most of the way) which caused me not to be able to take pics of everything.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It definetly could have been worse, glad it's not though.

Injector nozzle looks clogged compared to the other one.

I had brought the bike in during high season, and they only have 1 mechanic. So I think it was because of too much work load that it just wasn't done very thorough.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It definetly could have been worse, glad it's not though.

Injector nozzle looks clogged compared to the other one.

I had brought the bike in during high season, and they only have 1 mechanic. So I think it was because of too much work load that it just wasn't done very thorough.
When you have the bike running, you can use a engine/injector cleaner to clean the fuel system of your bike. This to prevent that it clogged up again.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright... to add to the gruesomeness:

Looks HORRID... :'(

Luckily the damage is only to the cylinder wall and the top of the piston. And it got hot enough so that the aluminum melted on the cylinder and the piston and no shavings got in the engine.

The bottom of the piston:

And a quick look in the engine shows no shavings:

Thank god.. there are no shavings inside the engine. No damage to the crank or conrod either.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Very interesting, Chilltake. I admire your drive and expertise in finding the problem for yourself. It will be great to get it running properly for the first time!

Edited to add: Did you notice differences in the spark plug's appearance when/if you changed them or after the second failure?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did you have that same exhaust on with both engines?
Yes I have. The Ixil's have been on the bike since new. Was about 3 weeks old when I put it on.

Very interesting, Chilltake. I admire your drive and expertise in finding the problem for yourself. It will be great to get it running properly for the first time!

Edited to add: Did you notice differences in the spark plug's appearance when/if you changed them or after the second failure?
Had the same spark plugs on last time it happened. Just replaced them around 2000 miles prior to the first 'splode. The same plugs are still in there. The rear one is a tad oily, but still looks to be fine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
What else besides a clogged injector causes oil in the airbox? (too many stand up wheelies included....)

I only ask because I bought one and it had a fair amount (nowhere close to yours) of oil and it has me thinking something else might be suspect.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts