Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some serious help here....I have a 2003 SV650S with 14,000 miles on it. I had a tune-up done at about 10,000 miles. The problem Im having is that when I accelerate and turn the throttle hard the rpms will rev up but the bike wont move. It feels like the bike has no power behind it. I adjusted the clutch cable, Adjusted the TPS sensor, made sure the throttle cable wasnt lose or ne thing. I dont really know what else could be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated..... ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like to me you have a clutch problem. Remove your oil fill cap and smell your oil. If it stinks really bad your clutch is burnt. Also if you dealer adj your cluch with no cable free play, you could have smocked it because it alway had tension on it. Blame the dealership. We always have customers complaining for stupid stuff, and 9 times out of 10 they get something done for free.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Have you adjusted the release arm under the front sprocket cover? If not, that's the first thing to do. If that release arm is not adjusted properly then the release rod could be holding the clutch open slightly. If the release arm is adjusted properly and the symptom persists, then it's time to do a clutch job. SV clutches are pretty robust. Do you treat your bike badly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well first off I dont treat my bike badly...no wheelies, burnouts, stoppies nothing. I just like to ride.....hence the 14,500 miles on it and its only a 2003. I think it has something to do with the clutch as well. Im takin it into a shop today to have it looked at........How much does a clutch job go for >??? ne estimates

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aite....I took the bike into the shop...Xtreme Motorsports in Freeport, NY. They said the clutch seems shot. Needs new Friction Plates/Springs..... They said even if u dont abuse the bike it could be the way you ride. I thought clutches lasted a lot longer than 14,500 miles....so what types of things would ruin your clutch>?

·
Registered
171 Posts
andyauger said:
Have you adjusted the release arm under the front sprocket cover?  If not, that's the first thing to do.  If that release arm is not adjusted properly then the release rod could be holding the clutch open slightly.  If the release arm is adjusted properly and the symptom persists, then it's time to do a clutch job.  SV clutches are pretty robust.  Do you treat your bike badly?
^^^This is what to do^^^

Mine did exactly the same thing. Don't replace your clutch before you try this. E-mail me if you have any questions. This adjustment worked perfectly for me.

Just don't get a new clutch yet.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
So many riders think that the cable adjustment on the clutch lever is the clutch adjustment
It's not... that's the cable adjustment, clutch adjustment is under the the front sprocket cover

there's no reason a properly adjusted and even mildly abused clutch shouldn't last 100,000 miles

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think my clutch is slipping...I was in sixgear doing 103 and then I went full thottle and the engine just reved up to redline and then I decelerated and then it grapped again...Does that sound right for a clutch problem?
I notice that I have lost power also...I have a 2005 with only 2k on it. Any thoughts to fix it...???

·
Registered
171 Posts
TANCWADE said:
I think my clutch is slipping...I was in sixgear doing 103 and then I went full thottle and the engine just reved up to redline and then I decelerated and then it grapped again...Does that sound right for a clutch problem?
I notice that I have lost power also...I have a 2005 with only 2k on it. Any thoughts to fix it...???
Yup, that's the symptom.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just bought a used 2002 and rode it into work this morning. Same thing happening here. I go to pass a school bus and when I get on the trottle it revs up, but nothing happens. It is my second day of owning the bike and I am really nervous about what is wrong and how much $$$$ it's going to take to fix it. - :( - Skister

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got about a half inch of lever movement between just starting to pull and all the way out on my 2k5 650, i'm guessing that it is the clutch adjustment unden the front sprocket, right? is this something that i could take to the dealer? (still under warr) ???, or should I dive in? any pics out there of the procedure? There's only 5600 miles on her, i'm hoping its an adjustment problem, not a clutch problem. thnaks everyone!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
lastcool said:
I've got about a half inch of lever movement between just starting to pull and all the way out on my 2k5 650, i'm guessing that it is the clutch adjustment unden the front sprocket, right? is this something that i could take to the dealer? (still under warr) ???, or should I dive in? any pics out there of the procedure? There's only 5600 miles on her, i'm hoping its an adjustment problem, not a clutch problem. thnaks everyone!
clutch adjustment is not a warranty thing, it's normal maintenance, something that is part of every service interval.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I adjusted mine at the clutch handle lever...All is well now...My power is back and everything is normal... ;D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have also noticed a loss of power and today while riding home it slipped into neutral from 2nd AGAIN. I can almost recreate it if I rev the bike in 2nd gear. Its also happened shifting into 6th . After finding this thread I hope its not a full blown clutch job.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If it is ging into a FALS neutral between gears then that doesn't sound like a clutch problem but more like a shifter issue and is probably just the way you are shifting. The clutch problem is when it stays in gear but revs high and you don't really go anywhere. Make sure you are allowing the shifter to fully drop back down once you shift and give it a firm upshift. Make sure your foot isn't resting under the shifter such that it doesn't allow the shifter to fully drop back down.

Yamaha's had bad false netraul problems on their street and dirtbikes for many years and still do but I have never heard of auzuki having these problems. I am thinking it is mainly operator error. If it is dropping out of gear without warning then you have another problem it sounds like. Changed the oil lately?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts