Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride to my buddy`s house and shut it off , upon leaving I got power but the fuel ignition wouldnt come on, I go through the pre-start routine make sure kickstand was up "was in 1st" start button on and clutch in, no go. Tried starting it in neutral, start button on, clutch in , kickstand up "although that doesnt matter in neutral" as long as clutch is in, still no go. My buddy`s decide they want to try and pop it, being its a 1000 I decide to try it in 2nd and twice it doesnt start. I sorta knew it wasnt going to since the fuel didnt come on but they didnt want to listen and I really didnt mind since I wasnt pushin lol. I already had the fried green connector which gives total loss of power so I knew it wasnt that, so I turn the key on and off a couple times and the fuel comes on and I rode home. after getting home 10 out of 10 times the fuel comes on, was it a glitch? or is there something I should be looking at? thanx for any help

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do a search on ignition switch overhaul. Likely dirty contacts are the culprit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When you turn the key on, with the bike in neutral, do you here the fuel pump "humming" as it pressures up the system?

If not, check the Fuel Pump Relay. I had a contact corrode completely off, primarily due to condensation.

Could be the culprit!

Regards
Darryl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No the fuel pump wouldnt power up in neutral either, tried several times. then I started to turn the key off and on while flipping the kill switch and then it came on. I will look into that as well thanx.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I checked the fuel pump relay and no corrosion or burned wires, is there a way to check the relay itself? I called my local dealer and they want 27 buks for one, right now the bike will not start the fuel pump which makes it easier to find my problem. I checked the clutch switch and stand switch by bypassing them, still no luck, now im going to check the kill switch. my last option is checking the ignition itself but have been holding off on that because of the fact it is hardwired into the harness because of the green connector issue awhile back, can I spray something inside the ignition to clean it rather than taking it out and apart? thanx for all your help, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
375 Posts
If the fuel pump fails to turn on, but the kick stand switch is working properly, testing the fuel pump relay would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, my old one is in a box that I won't have access to until Monday. I can't remember the schematic for it, do you have a manual? If you need more help, just ask. I'm by no means an expert, but would love to help.

Happy Easter
Darryl

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did download the online repair manual for the bike yes, Im not sure exactly how to test the relay itself to see whether its good internally. Im guessing I find out which the four wires do then meter it somehow, just not sure, I have all use of all the equipment in the shop I keep the bike in though. thanxs again

·
Registered
375 Posts
Of the 4 prongs on the relay, this should be what to expect-

1 terminal will be Constant 12V Power (+)
It will show 12v on a test light ALL THE TIME

1 terminal will be a Constant Ground (-)

1 terminal will be the Trigger/Switch Terminal
It will show 12 volts on a test light whenever the ignition is on
(as long as in neutral, kickstand up)

The last terminal is energized (12v+) only when the trigger is supplied with 12v
This output powers the fuel pump

Grab a test light and let me know what you find!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a 12v battery, couple leads and a test light on the relay today and everything worked fine, the relay clicks and sends power to the pump terminal. I install it on the bike and when I power up it doesnt click and no power to the pump still. Im going to check the kill switch next but I`m thinking its the ignition. thanxs for the help with the relay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I found the source of my problems, the female wire in the fuse box for the ignition fuse was not up inside the box so it could make complete contact with the fuse. I was putting the fuse box cover back on while the power was on and next thing I know the pump comes on. then found the wire was all but coming out. thanx for all the help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Glad you found the source of the problem. Electrical problems can be a bugger!

Regards
Darryl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts