Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the highway yesterday and found there was serious loss of power in the upper RPM range at WOT. So much so that it struggled to gain rpm when wide open in 2nd and 3rd gear.

It pulls fine at 75 percent throttle all around, and 100% under 6k rpm is fine as well.

Could this be the sign of a fuel pump going out? Can keep up pressure at low volumes but when full out it falls on its face? Or TPS telling the STV to do wacky things at full throttle?

I can also hear the fuel pump sometimes when idling at traffic lights and it seems to be changing in pitch, slightly irregular, not a constant drone like when it is priming before startup.

This is a new problem and it doesn't always happen. Most recently and most profoundly was at the end of a 2 hour ride, perhaps it is heat related. I will try sometime without the long ride, and maybe with a hot engine but recently filled with cold gas and see if that changes anything.

It's an 05 with 14k miles.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
sounds like it could be a weak fuel pump. it probably cant keep up with th engines needs at WOT.

one of the FL guys had his 08 650 whose fuel pump would whine most of the time and stall out every once in a while. possibly do a volume test, or a pressure test if you have access to the tools.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Without special tools it is easy to just pull the pump and check the screen. Most pumps fail when their screens get clogged and they starve...which it sounds like yours is doing.

Had mine out last week for the exact same symptoms. The screen was getting blocked with tank crud. Cleaned it up and replaced the tank and all is well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Without special tools it is easy to just pull the pump and check the screen. Most pumps fail when their screens get clogged and they starve...which it sounds like yours is doing.

Had mine out last week for the exact same symptoms. The screen was getting blocked with tank crud. Cleaned it up and replaced the tank and all is well.
Thanks all, I'll give that a check this weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Do I need new o-rings for the pump and pickup tube for this job?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Do I need new o-rings for the pump and pickup tube for this job?
Mine didn't, just cleaned up what was there. Pulling the filter off the pump takes some strength as it is ON there. Once you get the screws out of each side it will come off, and a drop of oil helped mine get moving...but watch to not use something that will attack the O-ring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad news, I pulled the pump last night. The PO must have left it for winter with the tank empty.

The filter sock was crammed completely with rust and crud, and down in the pump well was caked solid. I was scraping it out with a flat screwdriver. I was amazed the bike even ran with the amount of **** in there. I sprayed gas up in the big filter, shook it about and let it drain out, dark brown. The outlet tube was clean as a whistle so the filter did its job, but it has to be pretty packed up with crap.

I'll have to buy a new filter sock and I'd like to replace the big filter element as well. (parts 2 and 3 in the picture) Is the tank salvageable? It didn't seem rusty inside at all, I think I washed it all down into the fuel pump by now.

anyway I cleaned it all up as best as I could, and its not hesitating anymore, but I think the problem will come back if it is not already running in a degraded state with that big filter element clogged up as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts