Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a failed attempt to clean my carb jets (due to the float bowl screws being too tight and didn’t want to strip them), I decided to check my spark plugs while I had the bike apart. Though I am running a little lean, the plugs looked good (both front and rear). I then put everything back together and also replaced my rear spark plug back with the original tenkai denso the bike came with (changed it out for an NGK one and wanted to diagnose lean running issues so decided to put everything back to how it was).

I use to get 150-155 miles before my gas light would start flashing, but now I only make it to around 130-133 miles before it comes on. I know there are arrows on the spark plug caps that you’re supposed to fit the spark plug caps on the plugs are certain direction? Could this be the reason I am losing miles because I put the plug cap back on wrong or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance…

Wood Material property Nail Font Fashion accessory

Hand Finger Wood Household hardware Gas

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I tried a set of iridium spark plugs in my 99 and although they seemed to run OK there was something off about them. Try a set of Standard NGK copper tipped ones.

If you suspect your spark plug caps have a look here,

Run a glug or two of fuel/injector cleaner( Seafoam/STP etc) in the tank and give it an,"Italian Tune-Up" e.g a good hard ride out.

If it's running lean check that the rubber seals at the bottom of the Air box are seated correctly as it's easy to squash them when re-fitting and not make a tight seal and letting Air in to upset the Fuel-to- Air ratio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and I will try these! One question though, do the arrows on the plug caps not matter, as long as the caps are seated on the spark plugs. I also don’t have any di-electric grease so that’s another thing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the reply and I will try these! One question though, do the arrows on the plug caps not matter, as long as the caps are seated on the spark plugs. I also don’t have any di-electric grease so that’s another thing.
Do you have some pictures of these arrows?

I use NGK Racing Straights. I think you can get them in the US,

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm almost certain they are not relevant :)

Reactions: clinton1223

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
On those float bowl screws, are you using a Phillips screwdriver? Those are not Phillips screws, they are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). As are all the "Phillips" screws on any Japanese motorcycle.
Phillips screwdrivers make it veeeerrrry easy to strip those, proper JIS screwdriver work much, much better.

Get these:

Best $40 you'll ever spend on tools.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yea, hadn’t changed anything with fueling type or anything like that, it only happened after tearing the bike apart. Maybe I put something back together wrong

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Tire pressure? Air temp? Chain wear? Tire wear? Brakes dragging? Riding style changed? Luggage? Lots of things can contribue to a slight change in fuel consumption.

It's also very difficult to accurately refill the tank exactly the same way each time, so any fuel mileage calculation can be off quite a bit since we're dividing a large number (130-200 miles) by a small number (3-4 gallons)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts