Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
^ did you stick a volt meter on it and see if you were getting 6v when the magnets were in front of the sensor?

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I just tested the SV one out yesterday and it goes from 0V to 5V.

There are 3 wires- one is ground, one is constant +12V to feed the sensor and the third is one that should be charged with 6V (although I get 5) when the magnet is in front of the sensor and 0V when it isn't.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
yeah, three leads but one is ground so there are only 2 connections to measure voltage across. If you disconnect the speed sensor by the airbox, with the bike on, touch the black/- lead on your voltmeter to the ground pin on the connector that goes to the harness - not the one that goes to the sensor (center pin on mine - black/white i think) and the red/+ lead to one of the other connections. If it doesn't read 12 volts steady (as the wheel spins), try the other one. One of them should. My 12 volt lead is orange/red.

If that succeeds, you can then try measuring the sensor by reading the voltage on the other pin (not the 12v one). The problem is, you will have to read it while the whole thing is connected because the 12V is what feeds the 6V when the sensor gets activated. You will have to either splice into the wires or create something like this:

Or I suppose you could pop that 6V pin out of the connector that runs to the speed sensor, attach your + voltmeter lead to that, and attach the negative lead to a ground elsewhere?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts