Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to diagnose this for a couple months now... The front end on my bike has this bizarre "disconnection" when I apply the front brakes or go over rough bumps... it feels like the handle bars are jogging up and down.

If i roll the bike backwards and tap the front brake lever I don't hear or feel this sound- but if i am rolling forward, even just 1-2mph and tap that lever, even gently I get this knocking noise.

It seems to be lower down, not within either of the forks but maybe in the wheel?... We thought it was the buttons on the one brake rotor- this had 4-5mm of forward backward play- and it was certainly part of the problem but new rotors didn't fix it... there is less knocking now, but it still has this "disconnect".

When the bike was on the stand I tried moving the wheel around (back and forth etc) but it had no strange "worn bearing" play... My calipers are tight, the head bolt has been tightened and checked twice... Even the lower triple clamps were tightened...

I can't figure, what could this be? It is really threatening when I come to stop and feel like the handle bars aren't attached to the front wheel lol.... it hasn't all fallen apart though... can't figure! :(

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If the head bearings are worn and/or the races, tightening them to spec won't help; it will just make matters worse. I don't know if the stem bearings are the culprit, but have you jacked the front end up off the ground to check them by grabbing the forks fore and aft? With the front wheel off the ground you are checking the upper stem bearing, you will need to add a block under the tire and slightly lower the front to check the lower bearing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the head bearings are worn and/or the races, tightening them to spec won't help; it will just make matters worse. I don't know if the stem bearings are the culprit, but have you jacked the front end up off the ground to check them by grabbing the forks fore and aft? With the front wheel off the ground you are checking the upper stem bearing, you will need to add a block under the tire and slightly lower the front to check the lower bearing.
Ah know I hadn't done anything quite like this for the lower bearing... I will check that out.

I am wondering if this stem is out- I had replaced the one that was there with a different one after the possibility it may have been bent (bike was wrecked when I bought it) - I wonder if the bearings in that were bad...

I don't know if it started after that swap or before though :/ Just can't remember.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine did that too, the steering head has come loose. Just pull off your triple top and tighten up the steering head stem nuts.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine did that too, the steering head has come loose. Just pull off your triple top and tighten up the steering head stem nuts.
I think I might try this first- I have done it now twice but I think it's time to get the right tool on it- both times have been worked the ghetto way with a hammer and flat head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts