Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

Looking to get an SV650, here to learn what i can.

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  2nice 
#1 ·
As the title states, if the bike is good maybe i'll be a semi-active member of this community. ;D

#4 ·
It's a 2004, i'm gonna try to take a look at it in the next few days if it looks nice to the eye i'm thinking i'll get it inspected by a mechanic if i can find a reputable one in the area. also the guy is selling the bike for $2775, but from what i've heard i should be able to talk him down since the mileage is fairly high for what he is asking

G
#5 ·
Whether you're an experienced rider or a beginner, the SV is just plain fun. Maintenance costs are quite low compared to many other bikes. The engine is solid and reliable, too.

Although they have budget suspension components, at 155 lbs, it shouldn't be too bad for you. There's no rebound or compession damping adjustability, so upgrades are common for SV owners.

#12 ·
he said this about maintainance
There haven't been any services I know of besides oil changes, and a 20k valve spec check. I might have those papers, but can't remember. It's CA legal, and registered until June.
is there anything else that should be done throughout 44k miles? He's the second owner and he said the first owner put the majority of the miles on the bike

#15 ·
well i found a local motorcycle shop that will inspect for $40. does that seems like a fair price for an inspection. He told me a list of things he will do but i cannot remember them all:

Valve Check
Make sure wheels are aligned
Brakes are good and don't veer.
Said they will test drive the bike (can't remember reason)
I think check all fluids.
Try to determine if the bike has been in an accident.

and that is the list of things i remember.

#18 ·
Welcome to SVR. I'm 5'7 and while I can't flat foot both feet, it's not like I'm tiptoeing either. I don't think seat height will be a major concern for you.

#20 ·
well i'm back and i actually found a 2004 SV650S for $2000 with 13k miles. gonna check the bike out tomorrow with a friend. sounds like a steal at this price. any advice on what i should look for on this particular model. and if i did get it i'd prollie want to strip the front and make it look like and SV650.

#22 ·
i got more details from the seller. it's a salvage title and needs a new starter switch. bike will only stay on after starting for 3-4 seconds and dies due to the kill switch. does this sound correct? he said it'd be an $80 fix to replace the starter switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.