Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/20BPh05

I went to take a look at this sv650 today and I need some insight to whether this is a good bike to start on. I've been looking for a starter bike the last couple months and a ran across an 06' sv650 that needs some work but runs great. One major bad sign is the lack of a gas cap. The seller is going to replace the cap before selling but i would like to know if this is something i should be concerned about. I can relay any questions you guys may have to the seller who has been very upfront about whats wrong with this bike. I took some pictures of some things I'm concerned about so let me know what you guys think!

Pros:
New tires, brake, forks
Asking $1500
10k miles

Cons:
Turn signals not working
pedal brake does not signal the brake light but works fine
missing gas cap, mirrors

I need guidance as to whether this is a good bike that needs some work, or a lemon that is going to stop working in a few weeks. I love fixing my own stuff but i have little/no experience with bike repairs. Let me know if I should jump on this offer or run.

·
Registered
197 Posts
New FORKS? If so this indicates that the bike has had a pretty serious front end smash. Has the frame been checked for straightness? Look for cracks around the steering head. When were the valves last checked ? I'm not sure if it's due for it's first check anyway. Oil regularly changed ? Look in the tank with a strong flashlight. Any rust or dirt ? $1500 isn't bad but it's not a great price for a bike with a suspect history.

Mad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, owner said the forks were changed about a year ago with no insight why. frame looks incredibly straight, I didnt get a good look at the steering head and oil was changed regularly according to owner. its a good idea to take a peek into the fuel tank to make sure no rust or dirt buildup occurred, so thanks for that. Mechanically it seems fine, just needs some heavy cosmetic work which im fine with doing. I definitely need some more information on bike history. thanks a lot for your insight.

New FORKS? If so this indicates that the bike has had a pretty serious front end smash. Has the frame been checked for straightness? Look for cracks around the steering head. When were the valves last checked ? I'm not sure if it's due for it's first check anyway. Oil regularly changed ? Look in the tank with a strong flashlight. Any rust or dirt ? $1500 isn't bad but it's not a great price for a bike with a suspect history.

Mad

·
Super Moderator
6,843 Posts
Lots of issues for only 10,000 mi.

That usually means it's been abused, and more unseen issues will arise as you correct the obvious ones.

No gas cap? Why would that be? New forks = crashed.

Ask how long he has owned it. Ask about the new forks and any crashes. Look at the condition of the chain and sprockets.

Doesn't look great from here...

I saw a nice one listed with the same miles recently for $2000. Be patient.

EDIT: Got the pictures to work. Worse than I envisioned. PASS.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Re: Looking to buy this 06’ sv650, need guidance

Looking at the pictures, I have a few issues.
1) Its an SV650S that has had the front fairing removed. The fairing stay is still in place with a round head light... attached... to it. This suggests maybe it has been wrecked.
2) Lack of trim bits and fasteners suggests the tank, tail and front fender (with a big chunk missing) were removed to be painted. The missing gas cap supports this idea. Further suggestion of a wreck.
3) The forks are new? But they were clearly rattle canned while on the bike. Yet more evidence, and also unforgivably lazy.

I might pay $500 for this bike and plan to have it reliably restored for another $1000 assuming the frame is ok.

·
Registered
479 Posts

I wouldn't spend more than $1000 $500 on it. But only if you're eager to spend a few hundred hours in the garage rather than riding it; parts are relatively cheap, but will add up.
The condition of this bike is absolutely shoddy judging from the chain and the horrific rattle can paint jobs, the mysteriously missing gas cap (expect rust in the tank), etc.
So assume it has been crashed multiple times and no significant maintenance was performed. Also assume it was red-lined with a cold engine, oil level never checked, wheelied multiple times and generally abused. Definitely look closely for hair line fractures around the fork stanchions, the frame especially around the steering head, engine cases, etc.

You're looking at a project bike that needs tons of work, maybe even a new engine soon (yes, you can destroy an engine in 10k miles), and will eventually cost you more than a decently treated and cared for bike that's around 2.5-3k even if it has 30, 40, 50k miles. I would stay far away from this bike if you value your money and safety.

·
Super Moderator
8,528 Posts

That bike has way more than 10k miles. 10k is only what the replacement gauge says. In addition to being crashed and abused there is no way to know true mileage.

Unless you love spending $$$ and countless hours fixing previous owner screw ups, stay far away from this bike. These are the kind of bikes mama warned you about. :evil6:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Definitely not, especially not for a starter. You can find good condition SVs from around that year all over for $2k-$3k.

I'm not risking buying what is likely a bike that needs tons of work and is potentially very dangerous as a starter.

·
Registered
852 Posts

I agree with all of the above.Walk away from the deal.I paid 1600,"Beer Tokens" for a 1999 SV650 Curvy Naked with 16k miles on the clock in 2017 and it runs as if it's not long out of the Showroom.

A,"Rule of Thumb" with any 2nd vehicle is if it's been cosmetically well kept then the owners have usually taken care with the servicing and use of the Bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,477 Posts

Are the title and registration up to date? It looks like somebody started to strip it for parts, and realized it wasn't worth the trouble :naughty: I agree!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely been front-end smashed and otherwise abused. $1500 is steep for that bike. I generally advise people to not get a project for a starter bike anyway, as you'll end up either getting frustrated and walking away from it, selling it at a loss, or taking shortcuts to get it on the road and end up wrecking.

For reference, I've bought 2 SV's within the last year, each in roughly the same condition, and I didn't pay $1500 for both of them combined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts