Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.. I have a question for ya. I've been enjoying my `03 SV for the last few months and finally decided to make the venture onto the highway (I've strictly been on city streets and backroads). One problem.. I feel like a freakin' kite! Anyone have any tips to help with the feeling that the slightest move is gonna screw up your balance? I'm good up until about 60mph (don't laugh) anything higher and I just don't feel comfortable with the wind turbulence. I'm assuming a windscreen would help but would like some input on technique. Specifically from other folks who enjoy "riding naked".. Haha ;D Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Even on a naked, tucking a bit does some good. As far as loosing your balance... it is pretty much impossible once you get past about 20mph. The bike is one giant gyroscope, as long as things are spinning, it'll stay up :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tuck in a lil or just bend over a lil bit...even on the SVS the wind can still batter you around. It shouldn't screw up your balance too badly unless you really LET the wind throw you around. Just fight it a lil and tuck down a lil and you should be aight.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Never, ever closely follow anything you can't see around, especially trucks. They straddle debris you have to dodge. Maintain space and sight, with your most effective tool - acceleration.

Granted, if average traffic speed is aready high, this can be a little nerve wracking. But it's better than getting boxed in and then encountering debris and/or a car invading your space. I avoid interstates if possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
AceMixed said:
I'm good up until about 60mph (don't laugh) anything higher and I just don't feel comfortable with the wind turbulence.
Cars and trucks will really make a mess of the air and make it rough.  It you have the room, put more space between you and the car in front and the air will smooth out a lot.  

This may sound remedial but also make sure your helmet fits properly.  If it's even a little loose, it will bang around on your head and make the turbulence seem worse.  That and offer less protection in a crash.

Good luck and don't put a windshield on your naked....it'll ruin it. IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It feels much worse the first few times.
Then you get used to it and don't notice so much.

At least that's how it was on the naked 250 I rode before my Svs

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As already stated:

tuck if you have to or want to-who cares how you look?

lower bars

miles --> experience --> confidence --> comfort level

loosen up and don't fight the bike: your balance issues may be due to death grip and rigid arms-keep in mind that your arms are another form of suspension: keep them loose so they can soak up some of the beating; on a related note, grip the tank with your knees like a whore riding a greasy fat man

leather moto jackets flap less than textile, and much less than non-moto specific jackets like a windbreaker

when passing or being passed (either oncoming or same direction) by a semi or other large vehicle (don't ever admit to being passed by a Winnebago), slide away from them within your lane--they have a wide air disruption zone

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You really do get used to it... just give it some time. I guess the muscles you use to support yourself need time to strengthen a little too. Tucking or just leaning forward a little helps - but I don't really do that unless I'm into illegal velocity territory. Shouldn't be necessary at 60 MPH. Squeeze the tank with your knees to give yourself some extra stability when the turbulence kicks up (crosswinds and/or when meeting/passing other vehicles - expecially semi's) and lean forward against the wind with your abdominal muscles. Don't hang on for dear life with your arms & hands... keep them fairly relaxed. Don't white-knuckle it... relaxed grip. How well does your jacket fit? If it's too large, it WILL feel like a kite - and will flop all aver the place. You want it to fit pretty snuggly.

The first time I took mine up to interstate speeds, I thought I was going to blow right off the back of the thing - but now I don't think twice about 80+ MPH on the interstate. I don't even want a windscreen anymore. Naked is good!

G

·
get it up to 100 on the HWY, wind blast at 70 or under will feel like nothing. Just like everyone else said, leave alot of space between you and the car infront. Also, windblast is really bad when your off to the side of tractor trailers so try and pass them as quick as legally possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I appreciate all the help.. I did notice a huge difference just tuckin' in a little bit. Glad to know I had the right idea.. I'll let ya know how it works out. :) Thanks a million!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ace, I'm no speedster. I've had a 99naked with a fly screen and now an 03 naked without, the small screens lessen the wind but it is still 75% there. Naked is naked. But POE nailed it. it has to do with technique. If you are choking the bars, any little gust will transfer to the bars, and provide input to steering and affect your stability. Lighten up on the grip. Grab the tank with your knees, head down and balance out the wind with pressure on the tank(legs) and footpegs (balls of feet-not the middle). Gradually increase your speed and you'll pick it up. It is very very highly unlikely that a gust will tip you over, unless you weigh 30 LBs. Have fun. -ed

·
Registered
283 Posts
As has been said:

Squeeze tank with your knees.

No deathgrip on the handle bars. Stay loose, but not lazy; firm, but not whiteknuckled.

Lean into the wind.

Countersteer into it as well, if necessary.

Get ready to readjust when the windgust or large vehicle passes.

It's not bad when you get used to it. It just takes time.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Like already stated here, if you have a jacket that "balloons up", this experience is bound to happen.
Find a better fitting jacket that won't balloon up and still functions properly.
I don't know about anyone else, but I've spent about $600 on gear that doesn't exactly fit perfectly and don't wear too often. It's always a good back up though.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you have a textile jacket with scoop-type vents, close them on the highway. Even that little bit of extra wind resistance can make a difference in kiting/buffeting.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
always have a way out!!!

if everybody stops short and u cant stop in time have a way to escape to give you enuff room to brake or manuever thru the danger.

·
Registered
248 Posts
As many have said, keep your arms and hands loose. If you tense up the bike will feel really twitchy.

Always keep maneuvering space with an exit path.

Never follow a flatbed semi or pickup truck if possible. There is always something blowing out or falling off. I have seen everything from paper to a 4 foot piece of angle iron come off on the highway. I have also seen retreads blow out.

Put your head on a swivel and keep checking all around you for idiots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts