Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loooking for hot-weather textile pants, and need some opions/advice. I'd really prefer something in a lighter color, or at least something other than black. Here's what I know is out there:

Tourmaster Venture Air
Tourmaster Tracker Air
Fieldsheer Four Season
Olympia Airglide
BMW Airflo

Anybody know of any others that I should consider?

Of the ones I've listed, none are exactly right.

The BMW are $399 list/ $299 street, so they're out.

The Olympia are also fairly pricey at $200, plus they are way too long, and they only come with a water-resistant quilted/insulated liner. For use in South Florida, I think I'd be better off with a thinner, waterproof/windproof liner.

The Fieldsheer look really good, and they're on sale right now ($99), but, like the Olympia, they only come with a water-resistant, quilted/insulated liner. What exactly is the point of pairing a summer-weight mesh pant with a thermal liner? I don't get it.

The Tourmaster Airglide ($155, street) fits me pretty well, but they are a bit baggy, since they have two liners that can be worn seperately or together (windproof/waterproof liner, plus an insulated liner). I would get use out of the thinner liner; not sure about the insuated liner.

The Tourmaster Tracker Air pant is a new product ($119 list, maybe $95 street), and it seems like a good compromise. In fact, I was leaning toward the Airglide when I saw these in their online catalog. The Tracker Air comes with the thinner waterproof/windproof liner, plus the legs zip off to convert to cargo shorts. Called Tourmaster, and they said it fits like the Airglide, but less baggy. Downsides: It's the darkest color of all of these -- medium gray -- the others are all light grey; 600 Denier fabric vs. 1680 Denier for the Airglides; no hip armor; no zipper attachment for a jacket. Also, not sure of the safety of zip-off legs.

I'd appreciate hearing any first-hand experiences with any of these pants, but I'll settle for any thoughts, opinions, or speculation.

G

·
I've got the Olympia Airglides. They were expensive, but they're very well made. They include a pair of waterproof, insulated liner pants that you wear underneath the outer shell. With the liner in, you can ride to the North Pole. With the liner removed, they're perfect in hot weather.

I've only worn the liners when the weather dips below the freezing point. Mostly, I just pull the outer shell over my jeans.

My only gripe with them --and this is the same for all of the touring-style textile pants I've seen-- is with the knee protection. When you sit on the bike and bend your leg, the knee inserts slide up (above your knee). My solution was to remove the knee inserts altogether, and strap on my Icon leg armour. Problem solved.

Mine are black, but I think they're also available in a lighter colour (silver)

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The Fieldsheer look really good, and they're on sale right now ($99), but, like the Olympia, they only come with a water-resistant, quilted/insulated liner. What exactly is the point of pairing a summer-weight mesh pant with a thermal liner? I don't get it.
I have the four season mesh pants. I like them a lot. The pants vent quite well. I either wear them as overpants or if I am just going for a long ride, the pants by themselves. The waist has some elastic in it, so it accommodates both types of wearing. The knee arm hangs below your knee when off the bike and sits correctly when on the bike. The knee armor pocket is also adjustable using a velcro pouch to move it up or down. The legs are long when walking around, but my boots keep them from dragging. Once on the bike, the pants fit perfectly.

I have no idea why the pants include a thermal liner. Maybe so they can market them as four seasons. Either way, mine was promptly removed. I could not tell you how well they performed in the wet stuff, the 2 times a year it rains here, I haven't been riding my bike. The pockets are the pants are not that great, but I don't mind because I don't keep anything in them.

If you do end up getting these pants, order one size larger than normal. I have a 32" waist and the 34" fits perfectly.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnaks, guys. I guess I could toss the insulated liner in my closet, and ride with a pair of rain pants in my trunk or tank bag. Still wish either of those pants came with a thin waterproof/windproof liner, like my A* T-Stunt 2 Airflo jacket. I actually get some use out of that liner here in S. Fla., like on cooler mornings and evenings.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thnaks, guys. I guess I could toss the insulated liner in my closet, and ride with a pair of rain pants in my trunk or tank bag. Still wish either of those pants came with a thin waterproof/windproof liner, like my A* T-Stunt 2 Airflo jacket. I actually get some use out of that liner here in S. Fla., like on cooler mornings and evenings.

Buy mesh pants and seperately buy a cheap rain suit (to go over your normal gear).

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the Olympias and wear them sans liner as well when it's warm. When it drops to the 50s, the liner goes in and it serves its purpose well.

The other thing that's nice is the the zipper goes all the way up the side, making it easier to remove when desired.

I've got the Olympia Airglides. They were expensive, but they're very well made. They include a pair of waterproof, insulated liner pants that you wear underneath the outer shell. With the liner in, you can ride to the North Pole. With the liner removed, they're perfect in hot weather.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Both my husband and I have the Air Venture pants. I like them, considering last year I had nothing. Fit is fine, and the mesh breathes well. Last year, my husband would wear just shorts under his pants and said it wasn't any hotter than jeans.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The Olympia is made so it can be hemmed shorter. If you want it to be longer Olympia will send you extra material free of charge. Is this an option with any of the other pants? In your case you said they're already too long. That's actually a good thing since they're easily hemmed for a couple bucks at your local alterations shop.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot about Rev' It! gear. Looks like their Turbine pant comes in silver, but it's $330 list. Bummer.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both my husband and I have the Air Venture pants. I like them, considering last year I had nothing. Fit is fine, and the mesh breathes well. Last year, my husband would wear just shorts under his pants and said it wasn't any hotter than jeans.
Do you find the fit is still good with all of the liners out?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I also have the Fieldsheer Four Season Pants. I got them in November 2008, and have been wearing them 3-4 times a week since then. They've been great pants for the price...seen rain, snow, and cold weather so far (down to about 25 degrees, liner in). It hasn't gotten too hot in the NY/CT area just yet, so I can't speak for their performance in the heat - but they're mesh with very good airflow, so I'm not too concerned.

My one complaint about them is that two of the snaps used to secure the liner into the shell fell off within a week of receiving them. I contacted Fieldsheer by email and they shipped me new snaps ASAP, no charge (I think they have a one year warranty). The customer service rep was very nice and helpful about the matter. Since installing the new snaps, no problems.

I'd also recommend ordering one size larger than you usually wear. The elastic and velcro around the waist help out a lot, allowing you to wear the pants with or without a liner and still have them fit. Knee armor is in just the right spot for me, but there are three positions for it, so I assume most people can find a spot that's right for them. And there's a full length zipper on each leg extending from the ankle to hip, allowing one to use them as overpants very easily. Also, reflective piping up each leg adds to nighttime visibility. The pants also zip to match up with my Cortech GX Air jacket, a nice unexpected surprise.

Overally, I'm pleased with them. I'm sure there are nicer pants out there, but for the $$$, you get some nice features without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What exactly is the point of pairing a summer-weight mesh pant with a thermal liner? I don't get it.
The liner is designed to allow the gear to be used comfortably below 65F. Liners can also be pulled out to be used in other non-mesh gear to allow you to ride year round.

Being that you live in Florida, you have an advantage that you can select gear that basically would allow you to ride all year round as long as you have no ice on the road.

While dropping 300-400 on a pair of pants, and 400-500 on a matching jacket may seem extreme, items like that are most of the time highly engineered and constructed to perform excellently in the temperature range for which the gear is designed. Not as expensive gear tends to wear faster, and have annoying construction issues.

The more expensive Rev'it! gear, and BMW gear will tend to be easier repaired, have better protection should you end up with an unexpected dismount and have higher quality of manufacture than your lower priced gear.

You have placed us in an interesting quandry when asking the question about your pants. You have no indication of the kind of use you put your bike through, whether you ride in ALL weather or just when it is sunny out, whether you are an all season rider or whether you put your motorcycle away when it gets below 65F.

I have purchased gear from FieldSheer, Olympia Motorsports, Rev'IT, Teiz Motorsports and Scorpion USA.

All have had their uses, all have had their faults.

With our limited knowledge of your style and use I can only recommend the WebBikeWorld Motorcycle Gear review site. WebBikeWorld.

Their clothing review section is available here: WebBikeWorld - Motorcycle Clothing Reviews.

I hope that helps you narrow down your choices. Just remember, the more you wear your gear and the longer you can wear it the less it costs over time.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
You have placed us in an interesting quandry when asking the question about your pants. You have no indication of the kind of use you put your bike through, whether you ride in ALL weather or just when it is sunny out, whether you are an all season rider or whether you put your motorcycle away when it gets below 65F.
I've already specified the requirements. Lighter color. Summer weight. Mesh, with a windproof/waterproof liner. BTW -- It never gets below 65F in South Florida, but we do have a rainy season. (Thought that was self-evident.) As for the "use put my bike through..." Ummm... road use.

I already have a mesh jacket that I'm happy with, but if I was going to spend $800 or more for a mesh outfit (or $300 or more for mesh pants), I'd skip the off-the-rack stuff entirely, and get the Motoport Kevlar mesh outfit, made-to-measure. Only problem is, with the optional liners, it's a cool $1,000. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Geez, you should know that "worthwhile opinions" from a lawyer co$t. ;D
So, at your standard hourly billing rate, that nugget of sarcasm cost me, what? $2.50? I'll pay you (in beer) at the Rally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As for the "use put my bike through..." Ummm... road use.

"What you put your bike through ..."

If you use your bike as a weekender, or don't intentionally ride when you know there might be water or inclement weather then anything will work if it fits your finances. You can always use water-proofing spray as necessary. Or get a FrogTogg suit. (Or something else that meets your criteria for waterproofness.)

If you are riding with your bike as your primary means of transportation, and ride wet/dry/cold/warm then to a limited extent the more you put into your gear the more you will get out of it.

If you are planning on needing to ride when it is raining outside, then making sure that the gear you get will go the extra mile, and you won't end up with leaking zippers and a wet line that goes from neck down the legs and puddles just below waistline will make for a more comfortable trip. (I speak from experience on this point.)

If you spend the minimal amount more on the better gear that will work as a four season piece for you then you can eventually upgrade your jacket (if needed) to match the protection that the pants provide.

Riding in soaking wet gear that you just realized has sprung a leak at the crotch, or that the rain has managed to find it's way into the cuff of your gloves and is leaking down inside of your waterproof lined gloves isn't the most fun of riding experiences, and knowing that you'll need to get out at the other end, and you don't have another pair of dry pants available can make for an uncomfortable trip.

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who uses their SV as a commuter bike (and a fun get away bike on the weekends). Everyone will have their own thoughts on gear, but you can't go wrong with either Rev'it! or BMW.

As a point of note the Rev'IT Mistral Pants (which unfortunately only come in black) are only $239 and have a waterproof liner. The Rev'IT Turbine pant is $329 and does come in lighter colors.

The BMW Summer 2 pants are $209 and are Zip-off above the knees for use off the bike, and they have the ability to put in NP class hip protectors, and come with adjustable knee protectors. (Though they aren't waterproof.)

If you are looking at Olympia gear, have you considered a one piece textile suit? Olympia has the Stealth and the Phantom, which are both reasonable one piece items, and Teiz Motorsports has both a Full Vented and Full Mesh suit available.

For my mesh gear I have the Olympia Airglide Mesh pants with the removal waterproof/thermal liner. With the liner in, I don't like them over about 75. But they are passably 'waterproof' for a nylon liner and it is usable as 'casual wear' because it has belt-loops and also can work with my other gear for riding when it gets below 35F. The Airglide pants are about $225 or so, and are length adjustable at your local seamstress/tailor shop for a couple bucks.

What you start to get when you put more money into the gear is gear that feels less like you're the StayPuff Marshmello Man once you get all the liners and waterproof layers all put together.

Either way, look at the WebBikeWorld review site, they put gear through the wringer so we don't have to. Because when they beat on gear, everyone wins.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.