Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name's Pete I'll be 28 in October. I am a student at USF in Tampa, Fl. I've been riding dirtbikes my entire life, and made the transition to the street beginning in 2005. I currently ride a 2002 Yamaha YZF 600R otherwise known as the Thundercat. I'd love to add some pictures of it, but haven't yet acquainted myself with how to do it on your website. I'm an active member of www.yzf600r.com . It's an excellent forum, and has been very helpful with all of the modifications and work I've done on my 'Cat.

My wife is an LPN, and I got her on her first bike about 2 years ago. It was a 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R. She's decided she's ready to upgrade and after a good amount of research (on my part), I managed to compile a short list of appropriate second bikes. She made the ultimate decision (spoiler: SV650!) based entirely on aesthetics (see: women).

Ultimately I'm looking for a manufacture year between 2003 and 2008. She forgets to take off the choke, so Fuel injection is a good thing. However, I'm not yet confident enough in her riding ability to buy the bike brand new. I'm looking for the fully faired model. (Not sure if the Type S is fully faired, or if you then have to buy the lowers?) She insists on it being fully faired (Think: pretty). Color is the least important as I told her I'd repaint it after she put 2k miles on it. Some combination of Silver and black would be ideal, as she already has around $500 in gear from her previous bike in that color scheme.

Anyway, I'm a real riding enthusiast and excited to hear anything you guys have to tell me about the SV650. I'm sure I'll be quite familiar with it shortly as my wife's definition of "husband" is "live-in mechanic."

I've been searching with Search Tempest a bit to find local listings in my area. So far, I've seen a few listings between 2800 and 3500 that fit the description of what I'm looking for. Is this in your opinions a fair price? Are there any mechanical problems I should be checking for before purchasing? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome...

Yes the fully faired is the S model...

2800-3500 is excellent price depending on mileage and if their is any mechical problems...post up links and people can give u a better idea

·
Registered
683 Posts
The SV is a great choice for her. I have the S (08) with full fairings and your desired color scheme...so they are out there. The price range you listed is good for the area. Just look for the usual signs of neglect and abuse...you're not a noob to those.

What are has you concerned about her riding ability? After 2 years of riding, I would think she can either handle herself and bike or not. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, your bike is exactly what we're looking for. Very sweet looking ride! I absolutely love my ThunderCat, but I'm looking forward to getting to take the
SV out for a spin every once in while. I've ridden one before, and I recall it being torquey and light. My 'Cat is anything but. With its steel frame it's over 450lbs wet. I also rememeber the SV's suspension was sensitive as it lurched a lot in and out of the corners but I'll admit I'm a large rider at 6'3" 205lbs. Could have had something to do with it. I'm thinking the ergo's will be perfect for her. She's 5'6" 110lbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some listings:

http://ocala.craigslist.org/mcy/3196122481.html - This would require lower fairings and paint, but it seems to be loaded with extra. Price is good.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/3197558466.html - This one's paint is good, and has the fairings. A little more than I was looking to spend. Also, I'd have to clean up the undertail and replace the exhaust.

http://auburn.craigslist.org/mcy/3133977074.html - Price is right, color is right. BUT dent in the gas tank, and no lower's.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Welcome :hello: full fairings did not come standard until the 08 model year. Anything prior to that, if not already equipped with lowers, will be half faired. 03, 08 and 09 all had variations of the color scheme you are looking for with 03 being a light silver and the latter being darker. 03 and 04 models also have silver frames with 05+ being black.

Enjoy the site. There is a ton of knowledge to be found here and lots of helpful people. We do have some haters so be prepared for some hate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'll keep an eye out in this area...I hit the dealerships every 3 weeks, and this is my weekend to window shop. ;). What's your price limitation, if you don't mind saying?

Just a bit more to do with my bike and new pics...just some random ones left in the threads. I want to do just a bit more on her and then I'll take her out for a photo shoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The only colors she'll be happy with are black, silver, and pink. I want to enjoy riding it too, so I'm avoiding pink like the plague. However, I told her after a few thousand miles on it I'd repaint it if she liked. (I know a guy.) Obviously finding a bike with the color she wants would be a big plus, but I'd be perfectly fine buying any color, if I could find it without damage and fully faired. After she puts a couple thousand on it, I can always repaint it.

I definitely prefer the black frame so I'm looking '05+! That was helpfull, thanks!

Since they didn't start being sold fully faired before '08, do the prior to '08 models have all the brackets and mounting locations? Is there a kit for installing the lowers? Please explain the process!

I'm looking to spend no more than 3500. I'd prefer to be under 3k, but I'll stretch a little for low mileage and the right combination of modifications. I'm really flexible with where the bike is located. I bought my 'Cat 3 hours away and rode it home. I'm in the middle of the state of Florida, so I'm willing to drive any where within the state. Why hasn't Craigslist made it possible to search by entire state?

Is anyone from the South/Central Florida area? I'm always down to ride on my 'Cat!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome! My boyfriend and I live in Largo. I just started riding, however my boyfriend is an experienced rider. He has a white and orange Z1000. I have a powder blue '01 SV650s.

Good luck finding a bike for your wife! I bike shopped for a long time. My boyfriend found my SV on Craligslist and I knew it was perfect right when I saw it. I'm 5'2"...so I needed a bike that had lots of room to be lowered.

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Here is the kit for the lower fairing mounting kit:
http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/hardware-sv650s-lower-fairing-kit.html

Lower fairings can be expensive but occasionally some pop up on ebay for decent prices. You can get a set like this and either save or sell off the pieces that you don't need. Might be a good idea to hold onto them in case she manages to :repost:

If you end up buying a half faired one, just pm me and I'll shoot you some pics of all the fairing mounting locations and instructions.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At 5'6" the SV she sat on at the dealership was PERFECT for her. I imagine at 5'2" you'd have to lower just about any bike you decided to buy. Was the SV your first bike? I've heard a lot of people use them as entry level's, but I can't see why. I imagine a Suzuki GS500F, or one of the 250 or 500 Ninja's would be a much better fit. The sv's are awfully torquey speaking from my experience with them. If you don't mind me asking how old are you and your boyfriend? My wife is 23 and I'm 27. We're always looking for people around our age to ride with.

And thanks a lot man, I will definitely pm you when we make the purchase. If we do buy a half faired bike, I'm going to leave it as is until she reaches the 2k miles I told her to put on it. If I buy a fully faired bike, I was intending on taking the lower fairings off just to minimize any potential damage she may cause.

BTW guys, is this also a site for sv1000 riders? My former room mate has an '08 sv1000 and I think he may need to join!

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
The big SVs are welcome here too. I highly recommend a set of either no cut motosliders or the t-rex sliders for lower fairings. Go a head and get them at the same time you buy the bike. The cost is offset as soon as they are needed(hopefully never)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frame sliders are a great recommendation. I have some on my 'Cat. I've heard mixed reviews on the no cut's. Haven't read up on the SV's per se, but some no cuts sacrifice function for aesthetics. I'm far from a master mechanic, but cutting the fairings isn't typically too complicated a job. Let's hope they never see use!:rock:

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
some links:

T-Rex ~80$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Rex-Suzuk...Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fd63e4b3&vxp=mtr

Motosliders ~130$
http://www.svracingparts.com/products/#ecwid:category=472439&mode=product&product=1626537

I have the T-rex. These are expensive compared to the run of the mill "no-cut" sliders you'll find but they actually work. They replace the curved fairing supports that are in the kit I posted earlier. Very tough and actually stand a chance of protecting something unlike the ones that just bolt onto the fairing supports.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At 5'6" the SV she sat on at the dealership was PERFECT for her. I imagine at 5'2" you'd have to lower just about any bike you decided to buy. Was the SV your first bike? I've heard a lot of people use them as entry level's, but I can't see why. I imagine a Suzuki GS500F, or one of the 250 or 500 Ninja's would be a much better fit. The sv's are awfully torquey speaking from my experience with them. If you don't mind me asking how old are you and your boyfriend? My wife is 23 and I'm 27. We're always looking for people around our age to ride with.
I'm 26, my boyfriend is 27. My boyfriend said I'd get bored of a 250 too quickly. I did look at a Kawasaki 500 before I bought my SV. My bf has had an SV in the past and really like it...he is the one who recommended it as my first bike. It is very torquey...and I have no riding experience before this bike, except being on the back of his Z1000. I'm doing fairly well on it though. My bf might be up for riding in a group, but I'm definitely not ready...I'm not even riding on the main roads yet. :lmao:

I knew I had to lower any bike I bought...the SV was very easy to lower...it even came with the lowering links from the previous owner (his wife was the same height as me...how perfect is that?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, be careful. If he's been riding for years I'm sure he's a good teacher. She's been in traffic several times. She's still a little sketchy on the freeway, but I guess it's a healthy fear. Kudos for having the lady balls to give driving a try! I've met too many women who are content staying on the back!:rock:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a SV and I loved the bike and I have been riding for over 38 yrs. The only reason I got rid of it is I am only 5'3 with short arms I could not get the bars back far enough for me to sit up straight enough so I would not have my wrist bent at a funny angle that caused my hands to go to sleep. I rode the bike for about 3 yrs and put over 6,000 miles on it and really loved it. Handled GREAT. Very easy to ride and I NEVER got tired of it. I have a Gladius now and it allows me to sit up straighter but basiclly the same bike. So happy to find a bike just like the SV. Good luck to your wife. Ride Safe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts