Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals, my POS SV has yet another problem. Checking the brake fluid the other day I twisted the cap back on and managed to put a fracture in the (apparently) brittle plastic reservoir. Brake fluid started leaking out; it was bad. So now I need a new reservoir but I can't seem to find them very cheaply. Do any of you know where to get this part without paying too much? Is there a generic one that will work or does it have to be fitted for this bike?

Also - when I do replace it and replace the fluid as well, should I drain the entire line before adding the new fluid or just drain enough to replace the reservoir and treat it like any other fluid change after that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Drain enough to get the new reservoir on and then do a full bleed. Reason being: it's easier to bleed a system that already has fluid in it.

There's a number of compatible reservoirs, I know the GSXR's will work (and are plentiful). A generic one will work too aslong as the tubing from the reservoir to the master fits/seals & the mounting tab is somewhat similar.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Once you find one, consider using a reservoir sock:

They help prevent spills but, almost more importantly, protect the plastic from the sun/UV rays (which makes the plastic brittle and degrades the brake fluid).

·
Registered
5 Posts
They help prevent spills but, almost more importantly, protect the plastic from the sun/UV rays (which makes the plastic brittle and degrades the brake fluid).
At least someone explained the reason of using sock. I was told before that people mount it, because it looks good. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts