Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking for some decent riding pants any recommendations? I normally just ride in jeans however i went on a ride a few weeks ago with some peeps wearing riding pants with some sort of mesh material built in. That is suppose to not only protect as well if not better then jeans but is also suppose to breathe allot better. Any help identifying these pants or others like them would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Joe Rocket Alter Ego...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well you need to tell us more about your style preferences; from your profile it says you are 24. Since you own an SV I will assume you are extremely cool and not pretentious. I live in VA and commute to work year round (if road conditions permit) and like to tour on my SV. So I am pretty much exposed to every thing from 17 degrees to 100 + humidity. I have found a combination of pants that work for me in all those situations.

Before I get too far, let me describe myself so my recommendation makes some sense. I am 46 and ride more aggressively then I should on the street. 18 yrs ago I did a spectacular flying high side and was messed up pretty bad, so I spare no expense when it comes to safety. I also am married to great woman so I am not really concerned about how I look on the bike; so after safety comfort is my biggest concern

The basis of my pants setup is CyclePorts Ultra II Kevlar pants with stretch Kevlar. I know they look like parachute pants from the 80?s but once your begin to gain weight and loose hair you don?t really care if you wear parachute looking pants!!!! These pant come with a removable Gore-Tex liner. In the summer months I wear shorts under the pants and they breath much better then jeans and what even better is for some reason the black Kevlar does not retain much heat? The only real issue is the large amount of armor which tends to block some breeze. I actually believe that they are cooler then wearing just shorts because as mentioned above, they reduce the heat from radiation directly on the legs. When it gets a little colder or wetter I add the Gore-Tex liners but the Kevlar does not absorb water so they don?t get heavy.

When it starts gets really cold I add my Campmor windproof fleece pant with full leg zips under the Gore-Tex. And when it is in the 20?s or below I add a 4th layer which is Patagonia stretchy expedition weight fleece. The key besides protection and warmth is that most of this stuff has a little stretch to it. Note, I also own a full set of Widder electrics but I did not use them last winter riding in 17 degree weather because I didn?t need them, dirtbike style bar end covers and heated grips did the trick.

The down side is that since they are custom made they cost a lot and take around six weeks for the time you order to you take delivery. However, out of all the stuff I have used in the past, this stuff works the best for me.

Good luck, be safe, and ride like hell....

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
MagpieTear said:
+1 on those. Comfy, practical, and not too bad of a price from NewEnough.
+1 on the Alter Egos from NewEnough ***CLICK***. I'm totally happy with mine.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
RLSRob ... I see there is another Cycleport fan on board ;D

This summer, their wait for new outfits are 12 weeks!

They also aren't the most stylish, like you said, looks like parachute pants.

I saw a pair that slid on asphalt from a speed of 70mph and they are still being worn.
I was convinced after that ... you get what you pay for, they also have a pretty good warrantee.

I am hoping to order my pants and jacket in December.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea they are great. I used to sweat in my jeans and my a$$ would get uncomfortable, not any more.

BTW, I purchased a BMW Venting Machine outfit for my wife and it is an awesome suit with a very tough open mesh, I forget the material name? But my main issue with this as well as most other mesh outfits is that the sun shine thuough the mesh and heats the body. Not with my ultra II Kevlar, just the breeze gets through.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Poe said:
+1 on the Alter Egos from NewEnough ***CLICK***. I'm totally happy with mine.
MagpieTear said:
+1 on those. Comfy, practical, and not too bad of a price from NewEnough.
Thanks all those are great prices. And I needed some new riding pants.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Another huge Motoport fan here. I'm the proud owner of their Ultra II Cordura pants. I don't really see the parachute thing, to me they look kinda like loose fitting cargo pants. The construction is great, and it's very nice having something that actually fits me (6', 150 pounds, 34' inseam). I also have the GoreTex liner for mine, and I can easily ride below freezing with them and some light fleece pants. The only time I don't ride is when there's salt on the roads. I should also mention that if you do wreck, they're repairable. I also live by DC, and I wear mine in temperatures up into the 90s.

I ended up taking the thigh armor out of mine. I didn't see myself needing that too much, and it definitely lets more wind through. I'll probably put them back in for winter.

My review of my pants:

http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=32712.0

·
Registered
142 Posts
PrtclMn001 said:
I am not familiar with the pants in the link, they look like a competitor to draggin jeans. This stuff is nothing like the CyclePort/MotoPort stuff. CyclePort/MotoPort stuff looks cheesy on their web site but it is some serious stuff. On their site they mention that they are the only company with a textile racing suit that is certified by several racing organizations. Personally for track I prefer a tighter fitting leather.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just remember- jeans offer no real protection. I'm really happy in my Aerostich Dariens. Comfy over street clothes, waterproof and nice protection.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have Teknic Aquavent pants. While I think the protection is decent and much better than jeans, they are hot as Hades. The mesh vent areas are useless. Jeans are cooler. In the fall and spring when it is below 70, they are great. If I wear jeans or sweats under them, they are toasty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts