Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a magnetic tank bag and would love to see what people use. I'm looking for something small enough that it's comfortable to use on the bike when commuting (can fit lunch and maybe a pair of shorts or pants) but is also useful for longer day trips...

What do you have for a tank bag and what do you like or dislike about it? Photos would be much appreciated for those of you that have one.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I have a 10yr old bag from:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Still going strong, it's magnetic, i've over packed it, ridden in the rain, and it has held on perfectly. I cannot recommend this company any more, adventure riders like their gear as well.

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
I have this:

https://www.denniskirk.com/i-wire-magnetic-mount-tank-bag.p507031.prd

It's big enough (barely) for a spare face shield, a couple of 20 oz. bottles of vitamin water and some small trinket sized things, like a flashlight, pocketknife, house keys and a cable lock. Has separate pockets for GPS and for a phone, although the GPS pocket is too low to be really useful. Sticking headphones through the rubber grommet helps so you can hear directions.

I also have an Icon Urban Tank Bag, though I fell like it's too large to really use as a tank bag. It works great as a backpack, though.

I also have a Chicane tailbag.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Right now I have two.

Icon Urban Tank Bag http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-urban-tank-bag
-Lots of room
-Converts to a back pack with helmet holder (I don't use either)
-When it's really loaded up, the 4 magnets aren't enough to hold it and it slides around.
-No rain cover, but it's supposedly water-resistant. (I haven't had it in real hard rain yet)

T-Bags Tank-N-Tail Bag http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=86
-6 Strong magnets
-Hard case doesn't collapse when empty
-Includes rain cover
-Has back pack straps (I don't use this either)
-Also can strap to a rear pillion to use as a tail bag
-I really like this one, it's just not very big, which is why I bought the Icon Bag

Icon Urban on the tank, T-Bag TNT (with rain cover on) on the rear:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got an ancient Chase Harper magnetic expandable tank bag (I think it's the 1150?) that's doing well after ~8 years. Doesn't budge at speed, even fully expanded, but it does tend to flop slightly to one side or the other depending on how I pack it.

Moderately loaded:

Fully loaded:

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
Hey, Lauren, if we ever get together for a ride, remind me and I'll attach some of my luggage to the bike so you can see it in person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, Lauren, if we ever get together for a ride, remind me and I'll attach some of my luggage to the bike so you can see it in person.
That would be great...so far the two tank bags that have caught my attention are the Givi T489 and Nelson-Rigg CL1025. I'm always open to new suggestions though!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a Bilt expandable magnetic tank bag I got on sale at Cycle Gear for $35. I use it to carry my books to school during the week and it serves its purpose well.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Try getting something that expands if possible. Helps when you need to carry something in a pinch.

I have a Joe Rocket Manta XL. Can carry 2 32oz powerade bottles with a wallet/cellphone/keys.

Sometimes I wouldn't mind having a larger tank bag. I also have a tail bag which helps in that situation.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Try getting something that expands if possible. Helps when you need to carry something in a pinch.

I have a Joe Rocket Manta XL. Can carry 2 32oz powerade bottles with a wallet/cellphone/keys.

Sometimes I wouldn't mind having a larger tank bag. I also have a tail bag which helps in that situation.
I have the JR Manta XL as well, decent little kit but like you I sometimes think about getting a larger bag. I've managed to fit a few t-shirts and a neck gaiter in there or a 3 lb bag of apples, cheese, and lunch meat from the store.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have the Icon Urban as well as mentioned on the first page.

*It is huge. I've packed an entire trip's worth of clothes and whatnot in it.
*The magnets are terrible. It will move all over your tank. I have never worried about it coming off but it is less than secure. And will scratch the pish outta your tank..
*The quality is okay. I've had mine for 5 years and the zippers have help up well, some fabric is worn or tearing but I have used it a lot.
*The helmet holder is a joke. Just don't try to use it, please.

Overall I'd give it 7/10, if it was more secure on my tank I would be very pleased with it. I love how big it is, on big trips when it is packed FULL I would lean down and rest my chest on it. Comfy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Look at Roadgear. USA made and a 10-year warranty.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Rapid Transit expandable tank bag, Works well for me. One thing I haven't seen on this thread, DON'T FORGET TO CHECK/WIPE THE BOTTOM WHERE THE MAGNETS ARE, you never know what they'll pick up and it could scratch your tank!

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Icon urban tank bag as well. For the price (check ebay) I think it's a good value. It holds a surprising amount of gear.

Never felt like it was going to come off my bike while moving.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts