Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone likes to go with "loud pipes save lives", but I also like to save my hearing. Can anyone recommend a slip on for my 07 SV that isn't going to be too loud? and also isn't going to be too expensive. I'm looking to stay under $300. Thanks 馃槉

Registered
The Delkevic exhausts are mostly around $200, have removable baffles, and are quite popular budget exhausts. They ship from the US.
Go with a 13-14 inch length. It will be just a bit louder than stock, but still quiet enough to not be annoying on longer highway rides. And once you remove the baffle it will sound awesome around town or on country roads.
Delkevic also sells an extra long baffle separately to make it even quieter. That way you can get up to 3 different volume levels from one muffler.

If you want it as quiet as stock go with a slightly longer muffler. But then why even get an After-Market exhaust in the first place?

Be aware that all After-Market mufflers have filler material (usually glass wool) that will burn out after about 8-10k miles and will need to be replaced. That's the main reason they're so much lighter than stock exhausts with their multiple steel chambers that however won't ever need to be serviced.

Registered
Even if you're based in the U.S. look for models which are Euro4 street legal slip-ons: they will have the same noise rate as the original mufflerof a 3rd gen SV, since they shall be homologated to the same specs.

Super Moderator
I've had a Delkevic slip-on on my '06 for over 10 years so far.

With the baffle in it's pretty quiet. With it out it's a bit loud. I ended-up using the baffle but drilling a hole in the center to split the difference.

I have the older "short" model that's longer than the current "short" model. It reaches almost to the back of the tire, but not past like the original muffler.

Registered
I have a tiny FMF that hasn't been serviced in 61,000+ miles. My ears hurt WAY more from wind noise (when I don't wear earplugs) than exhaust noise, and I can ride fairly quietly at least until I get away from my immediate neighbors. One even came over to say she's surprised when she realizes I've taken the bike instead of my car since she never hears me leave. So, I would highly recommend earplugs over whatever muffler if hearing protection is truly your motivation.

Registered
I'm using the current short Delkevic from Amazon. it's about 9 inches long and sounds fabulous but it's too loud for me after about an hour. I think I'll replace it with the longest one they have which is about 17".

Super Moderator
I'm using the current short Delkevic from Amazon. it's about 9 inches long and sounds fabulous but it's too loud for me after about an hour. I think I'll replace it with the longest one they have which is about 17".
Are you running the baffle?

If you are riding for an extended period, try using earplugs. Obviously doesn't change the sound from the pipe, but earplugs definitely help reduce wind and exhaust noise - both of which will eventually permanently damage your hearing.

Registered
Yep, using ear plugs and a quiet Scuberth C3 Pro helmet. The baffle is in place.
It's not crazy loud, just louder than I like. Heck, my wife doesn't think it's too loud.
I guess I'm getting soft at 70 years old.........

Super Moderator
Yep, using ear plugs and a quiet Scuberth C3 Pro helmet. The baffle is in place.
It's not crazy loud, just louder than I like. Heck, my wife doesn't think it's too loud.
I guess I'm getting soft at 70 years old.........
You must still have great hearing then!

I did a couple 12-hour days on the Interstate with earplugs and never gave noise any thought. My helmet isn't known to be very quiet.

Wind noise at hwy speeds is much more noticeable than exhaust to me. Wouldn't have wanted to do it without earplugs for sure.

Registered
I know everyone likes to go with "loud pipes save lives", but I also like to save my hearing. Can anyone recommend a slip on for my 07 SV that isn't going to be too loud? and also isn't going to be too expensive. I'm looking to stay under $300. Thanks 馃槉
I run an M4 on my race bike and it鈥檚 quiet to the point that most of the time I don鈥檛 even bother using earplugs on track. Really nice system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts