Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it! http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-8927765-new-intank-efi-fuel-pump-suzuki-sv650s-2003-2006.html

Just installed one in my 1K. This is a universal type pump kit, so you've got a little work to do to make it work, but the savings are substantial compared to factory pump units. I paid $68 with free shipping....and had it three days after sending the PayPal payment. Excellent service!

The stock electrical connector won't work so you've got to snip it off and crimp on the 90 degree fittings provided. The crimp works better if you tin the ends of your stripped wires with solder to build it up for a snug fit. The provided strainer won't fit down in the cup where the pump lives so you've got to clean and reuse the stock one. Other than that, this is a straight replacement.

This pump is used in many, many vehicles....including late '90 Cobra Mustangs so it is plenty big for our bike engines. And....it is quiet! VERY quiet.:) I was a little concerned when first turning the key and not hearing it running....but then the fuel pressure gauge jumped up and all was good. Pumps up to 44 psi hitting the regulator then drops to 42 when the pump stops on the prime. It has been sitting now for over three hours and is still holding 38 psi so the valves are tight. I'm happy.:)

One thing I was worried about is the alcohol we are forced to run in our gas being compatible with this pump. No worries! They say it can be used with that nasty E-85 stuff, so our E-10 is easy duty for it.

I haven't run the bike yet as it was late when I got done and this gives me something to look forward to on the weekend. We'll give it a proper thrashing to make sure everything is good to go. Very confident that it will be. If you are looking for a good and CHEAP replacement pump...well, here it is.:)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a 2nd Gen... you posted in the wrong section.

:eek:ccasion14:
Oh crap! Sorry about that. I went looking today for the post and couldn't find it....then was wondering if I was just thinking I did it last night and forgot. Dam senility.......:)

If a Mod could please either move this to the General Maintenance section where it was targeted or delete it and I'll try again. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And moved again...
Ah! Well done! Thank you very much.:) I'll try to be more attentive next time and get things where they belong without bothering you.

Went for first test ride with new pump and......it is good! Pressure was falling below 20 psi before....now stays in the mid-upper 30's at WOT and high revs. I had been adding fuel to the tune trying to cure the lean condition and apparently have it way, way too rich now that it has a working pump. Need to adjust things to compliment the adequate fuel flow now present. Still a little concerned about the pressure regulator varying the pressures and might need to go in again to try to improve things. Would like to see minimum of 40 psi at WOT and might have to shim the regulator spring to get it. Testing more tomorrow...but the cheap pump seems to be doing the job.:)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To finish this thread off.....I ended up putting in a new filter/regulator as the pressure was still dropping below the regulated 43psi at high revs with the fuel level low in the tank. Dissection of the old filter showed it was very, very clogged up with fine rust dust that had gotten through the strainer.

New filter/regulator and it now holds 50psi at cruise and doesn't drop below 43 no matter what condition it is run....which is how it should be. Pump seems plenty healthy for the bikes.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
great writeup - thanx - mine died from sitting so long ... where do you get the filter and regulator? (or are they the same)

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
great writeup - thanx - mine died from sitting so long ... where do you get the filter and regulator? (or are they the same)
Regulator comes with the new filter. It's a crime what they cost though...like
$250. Dealers only, but you can shop online and maybe find them a little cheaper. Might be an idea to get a complete used one on Ebay.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So the fuel pump on my 03 SV650 recently gave out and I ordered a Highflow replacement pump.

I ended up putting in a new filter/regulator as the pressure was still dropping below the regulated 43psi at high revs with the fuel level low in the tank. Dissection of the old filter showed it was very, very clogged up with fine rust dust that had gotten through the strainer.

New filter/regulator and it now holds 50psi at cruise and doesn't drop below 43 no matter what condition it is run.
As I get ready to install it, I'm a little confused as to which part is the filter/regulator? Are you referring to the strainer? Which part is it on this diagram?

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
#2 is the filter. It comes with the regulator too...which partly explains the massive cost. If you cut open your old one, you'll find a section of pleated paper filter inside....not very much either so it won't hold a ton of grit before getting clogged up. The strainer #3 you can clean pretty well and reuse.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
If you are looking for a good and CHEAP replacement pump...well, here it is.:)
not sure if the SV1k has the same pump as the DL1k, but likely, yes, its a $1k pump assembly at the dealer BUT somewhere I read, it's also the exact same pump that is in the Suzuki Grand Vitara SUV that only costs about $150 instead of $950. and you don't have to make connector modifications

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Never even thought of cross referencing with cars...

·
Registered
701 Posts
If the pressure regulator can be separated from the filter. Then the BMW (pre-2005) method of using an automotive-type, high-pressure filter mounted within the fuel tank would probably work fine.

Something like this(without BMW's prices!):http://tinyurl.com/bsu3xl2

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh....absolutely you could fab up something to get around the stock filter setup! The DL guys are drilling the filter housing to bypass the clogged filter then adding an external one..which would be an option.

The pressure regulator just plugs in the side of the filter on the SV's, so you'd need to make some kind of adapter to hold it in position...or use another type either internal or external. There isn't a lot of real estate on the SV's to mount extra stuff so fitting regs or filters externally could be a challenge. I put some -6 AN braided hose on mine to fit the pressure gauge and it was a bit of a hassle....but more creative types might find it a breeze.

The actual PUMP used on this and many bikes and cars IS pretty much the same. The one mentioned in the OP actually cross references to a mid-90's Cobra Mustang.;) Has plenty of flow for our little motors too. Mine runs 50 psi at all times except when really throttling it...then it drops down to the regulated 43. That poor little regulator is having a time trying to dump all the excess fuel which is why it's a bit higher than it should be. Might be a good time to mention that this WILL make you run a bit richer...but it didn't seem to hurt the mileage or running on my bike, but it's something I forgot to mention in the OP.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think my fuel filter might be clogged as well.

You think something like this is possible?

Option A.: Remove the stock fuel filter and add a hose from the outlet of the fuel pump to the regulator. Somewhere in between the pump and the regulator, I'll add an in-line fuel filter.

-or-

Option B.: Remove the stock fuel filter and add a hose from the outlet of the fuel pump to the regulator. Somewhere in between the fuel hose, I'll add an in-line fuel filter.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The regulator must 'T' into the pressure line coming out of the pump. It dumps excess pressure back into the tank. I was thinking about a machined block with internal passage on top of the pump and a hole in the side for the regulator. Tube coming off the top gets the filter with hose back down to the fitting going outside the tank to feed the engine.

A more simple deal could be an aftermarket regulator stuck on top of the pump. It'll have the outlet hose to accept the filter and make it easier with no machine work needed. But something along these lines would be needed to get around the stock filter/regulator setup.

Watch what filter you try to use! It needs to safely handle 50+psi so something designed for high pressure FI would be the tip.

_

1 - 20 of 22 Posts