Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a used Ninja 250 for my wife. I looked at one today...a 2005 with 3200 miles, he's asking $2500.

Before going to look at it, I was hoping to talk him down to about $2000, with the caveat that I was satisfied with the bike. Unfortunately, I was NOT.

He couldn't get it started...I didn't think too much of this, as it's cold out, bike hasnt been started in 3 weeks or so, and he didn't really put a lot of effort into starting it (he pressed the starter two or three times...it turns over fine, but didnt quite crank). I would, of course, absolutely have to see it running and maybe even ride it briefly before commiting to buying it.

Rear tire is nearly bald, and was flat. He said he thought it had a slow leak. So...put a new rear tire on the list of stuff I'll have to buy.

Rear fender removed...not eliminated with a kit, just unbolted and removed. He doesn't have it, nor does he have the rear turn signals, license light, license plate mount or anything. grrrrr! I would have to do something about that.

Chain was dry (as in, not even a hint of lube) and a little rusty. The links did move, but seemed a little stiff (does that make sense?). I forgot to look at the rear sprocket.

Should I make a lower offer on it? If so, how much do you think? Or should I just pass it up and keep shopping? or wait him out a while? my instincts tell me that he hasnt had it on the market very long...he did say that someone looked at it yesterday.

BTW...kbb value on this bike (with 1200 miles) is $2500.

thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would probably pass, seems like it hasn't really been taken care of, and you never know what problems may arise later because of it.
I am in the same situation too, I'm looking for a 250 for my g/f. I've been looking at some that are a few years older, and cheaper. Kawasaki hasn't really made any changes on the bike for quite some time so I don't really see the need in getting a newer one. Plus I've taken into account that she will probably only be on this bike for a season or two before moving up, so I don't really need super low miles either.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, personally I'd start at somewhere around $1700. The thing I'm big on is time, so I'd calculate time and physical costs of getting a new tire, finding a replacement rear fender, turn signals, etc. With the chain in the condition it's in too, I'd say he really didn't pay much attention to it at all. I'm picky about what I buy, so I'd lowball it and see what happens. It sounds like you could offer the 2000 and get away ok with it, but if you count in time to replace things, get the bike up to shape again, etc., I'd offer b/t 1700 and 2k. But that's just me. ;D

btw, if you pull it out for 1700, you should be able to bring the thing back to full speed for about 2k. 2k for a nice 250 isn't a bad deal at all in my book.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

I actually told him that I was planning to offer $2000 if it was in great condition, but that I wasn't happy with the tire/chain/fender situation.  He was pretty open about what he wants for it...he said he paid for it with a credit card, still owes $2900, and was sure he could go down to $2000 but wasn't wanting to let it go for less than that.

danthony12321 said:
Kawasaki hasn't really made any changes on the bike for quite some time so I don't really see the need in getting a newer one. Plus I've taken into account that she will probably only be on this bike for a season or two before moving up, so I don't really need super low miles either.
That's exactly the same boat I'm in.  Really looking for a slightly older and less expensive one, this one was just the first one I came across in looking for the last few weeks (and I had to drive about 80 miles to his house to see it). So they're not exactly sitting on every street corner for sale.

oldguy - I was kinda thinking of offering him $1800 or so...like I said, I really don't think he would take 1800 right now, I may give it a few days or maybe a week, and call and make the offer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I say run, don't walk, away from this bike. It sounds like it has just been flat-out neglected by it's current owner. You could get a MUCH nicer one for the kind of coin you have.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
You can buy a NEW one for $2999 - and that's LIST, includes a one-year factory warranty and a shop standing behind it. Granted, there will be tax & fees & such - but my God, $2,500 for a 250r that, at minimum, needs a tire and could very well need a carb clean and plugs.

Those little 250's don't pull a lot of vacuum - so even the slightest amount of crappy/separated gas will kill 'em. Then you wipe the plugs out trying to start it with a gummed up carb.

If you find one for anything north of 2,000 all told, I'd just foot the bill for a new one and gain a lot of peace of mind. IMHO, it just isn't worth the trouble otherwise.

G

·
I bought my 250 used from the dealer with 500 miles on it for $3k OTD (plus tax). they list for $3k new, but plan on about $500 in fees.

I would have loved to get a used one, like a 98 for $1500 or so, but the used market in Denver for these bikes is pretty weak, and people were asking crazy coin for shitty bikes. The good thing is if you buy a new one and want to sell it, the resale is pretty good. I'm going to be selling mine once I get my sv650/s!

·
Registered
25 Posts
i bought my 1996 ninja 250 for $500, dinged up but mechanically sound with 15k miles on it, never had an issue with it and laughed when I did something stupid managed to drop it. It was reliable, i drove a 60 mile roundtrip nearly every day never had an issue, it was just ugly, and small.

If your wife has long enough legs for a gs500 I would recommend one over the 250, ive had both and preferred the GS alot more, mainly because it wasnt retardly small and feel so outdated. The 250 always left something to be desired to me, not that I didnt love it. I miss that bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.