Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am traveling to look at a bike tomorrow that has been sitting in the original owners garage for a few months.

He says he started it and rode it about 40-50 miles this weekend. Said it backfired a bit at first and was a little choppy but began to run better the more he rode it and especially after he filled it up with fresh gas.

Says tires have good tread but may be 8 years or so old since he hasn't ridden it much (8700) chain hasn't been replaced.

Should I go for this? I'm a total newb with a newly minted M on my license and just finished the MSF course. I've gotten him down to 1500, but could potentially go lower.

Any advice would be really appreciated, since this bike is cheap and has a dent I think it would be a great starter bike but I don't want to spend all my time fixing it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's definitely running and able to be ridden, but the question is how smoothly its running. Its 200 miles away so I won't be able to see it in person till tomorrow evening.

I've taken a look at some of the general used bike guides, but is there anything I should look for in particular tomorrow night?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If it has over 15000 miles, ask them if the valves were checked which its due for at 15k miles. If not then you'll have to have that done, which should take a couple hours to check at a shop. More if they are out of spec and need to be adjusted.
Other than that, even if it needed all new consumables, like tires, chain/sprockets, fluids, the price is low enough where I wouldn't consider that a huge deal, but those are things you could use to bargain also if you wanted to. The forks aren't great stock, nor is the rear suspension, ask them if those are stock. If they are, and you want good suspension, then consider that too as an additional cost.
I woukldn't rule out a carb cleaning, which can be done yourself if you have any experience or are willing to learn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, bike only has 8700 miles on it, sounds like the owner hasn't ridden it much since he bought it in 03.

He just sent me a video of him riding it around and it seems alright (cell phone video). I think for 1500 I'll drive down there and pick it up on Wednesday.

My little brother is probably going to get a GS500e so I guess I'll have a fallback if the sv is too much to handle or needs some tlc

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I got sucked in on my old 99' SV650 when I was a newb, and it was a learning experience even though I thought I was getting a deal.

Things I didn't check and didn't notice due to the happiness of buying a "used" first bike:

-Tires were old and shot, I installed some Conti Motions - $220 + $50 install
-Bike needed a carb clean bad from sitting for 2 years (only ran with choke on) - $180
-Tank had no rust (thank god)
-New front and rear brake pads ($80)
-Fork seals were leaking when I pressed down on the front of the bike - $180
-Rear shock was worn out from age and the bike had 30k miles on it - $70 (636 shock)
-Regulator/Rectifier didnt need to be replaced, but I did for peace of mind as it was ($150)eventually going to fail, the PO told me he had changed it twice already.
-Air filter was dirty and shot ($45)
-Frame sliders from T-Rex ($50)
-Valve job ($200)

In total I paid $1200 for the bike and it needed some work ($1,425 worth of work).

Total spent: $2,625.00 to get it up and running the right way.

You can probably find a clean fuel injected 2nd generation with new rubber for a bit close to that price unless you want a project bike. All up to you, I would have done things differently if I would have known, but then it was a great learning experience when I fixed all those things, I then sold the bike for $2,500 after putting 3k miles on it in 3 months so I broke even, but the bike I will agree was in mint condition bodywise.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I had a similar purchase

My bike is an 02, had 5k miles on it when I bought it last spring. according to the title, the guy bought it in 09, and only put a few hundred miles on it. (he had LOTS of bikes)

Bone stock, except a triple conversion to have N bars on an S bike, and a home made FE that I changed out for the stock fender, which was included in the sale.

I've had zero issues with it. I replaced the tires on it this winter, and a few oil/filter changes. That and a new gel battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I purchased the bike. I cleaned the carbs, changed oil, and replaced the tires. I ended up buying it for $1300 and I have put about 1250 miles on it with no issues so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts