Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, my names nick. I do not own an SV650 just yet, But I am interested in getting one. I like the sportier look of the 09 sv650s, but I don't want a full blown sport bike. I got my motorcycle license with the MSF foundation, only have a year of riding experience under my belt with a 2000 Kawasaki zx6r.

Anybody have any suggestions about this bike? Pros and cons.....

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hmmm I'd be careful.

What type of riding do you do most of the time?

That ZX6 will probably be much faster but the SV will still keep up just fine in the legal speed limit range and still is happy at triple digits, just not so much the mid triples like an I4 enjoys.

My worry though is that while a 2000 super sport is not the best thing out there in todays handling terms I would imagine its suspension is still leaps and bounds better then the SV's, as well as the braking being somewhat better.

At the least you will probably want stiffer springs and maybe a ZX6 shock in the rear to stiffen it up but without full GSX-R suspension front and rear or some other internals to the stock forks you will not have the same confidence in the twisties.

I say, get a buell ;).

Way more different! Not a full blown sport bike, still fast though and handles great, some say better then any other bike. Top of the line brakes and suspension stock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm I'd be careful.

I say, get a buell ;).

Way more different! Not a full blown sport bike, still fast though and handles great, some say better then any other bike. Top of the line brakes and suspension stock.
Buells are nice, but to be honest with you, they are out of my price range. I am gettin another bike to go ridin and have fun on, but not go crazy. I don;t want another full blown sport bike because they are too expensive brand new, I like the looks and price of the sv and I've heard good things about them. And I could always upgrade the suspension, but if its just something to have fun on, I don;t see the need.

It's not that bad through the turns is it?

·
Registered
997 Posts
No they are not that bad through the turns, better then any cruiser obviously and for most riders they are probably fine, my concern is because you are not coming from a cruiser, a ninja 250 or no bike at all.

Your coming from a ZX6 which probably had a decent suspension.

·
Chief Greeter
28,485 Posts
Hi BlackSSNick, Welcome to SVR. The SV is a great bike!

Go and test ride one, you will enjoy it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
997 Posts
One other thing, give the naked some thought.

I know I fell in love with naked's when I switched to the buell.

Not so much the look (yes you can put bars on an S but its a little bit of work) but the riding position... The R6 wasnt horrible but it did bother me after racking the miles up a bit over the hundred mark on the really twisty roads.

The Buell is such a different experience, much more leverage for tight roads, very neutral riding position but still sporty enough for aggressive riding, very comfortable, NO weight on wrists, back is nice and in line. Another thing thats cool is when you are riding all you see is the road, you dont see your hands and the dash and windscreen like on a super sport, its a very cool experience...

And with a few mods (dual headlights, seat cowl and engine cowl) I think the naked's are GORGEOUS bikes and they are super easy to modify for years to come and a bit cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts