Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about riding from Sacramento to Las Vegas on Sunday. The trip should take 10-12 hours. Has anyone ridden their SV for this duration of time or longer? Any problems? Or, did the SV perform like a champ (as it always does).

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode from Bellingham, WA, to Lake Elsinore, CA, in three days. I think I rode from about 13 hours that day, down to grants pass in oregon. I wasn't to sore, not until I hit LA traffic at the end of the third day. This was on a nearly bone stock 04 SVS, stock seat and bars. Plan on medicating yourself at the end of the day, advil and/or your liquid anasthetic of choice, especially if you don't stop to stretch in between gas stops, otherwise, the SV performed like a champ. :)

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
The bike will make it just fine, whether you will or not is the question. You had better hope you have something other than the stock seat, or else you will have something else other than the stock seat just as soon as you get home. Trust me. A few of us gullible types from MI rode down to Ohio to go on a ride with a couple of Buckeye sadists. After about the first 10 hours it all just became a blur. Left at 6AM, got to the hotel at 10 PM, then proceeded to show them how to drink beer until 12 AM or so. Then I had to get back on that miserable excuse for a seat again the next morning. In all honesty, after I got home, I did not even get back on my bike for a week. We had a lot of fun though. :twisted:

Some tips:
-throttle rocker
-anything but jeans
-bar snake
-anything but the stock seat
-ear plugs

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Modern bikes like the SV are not the limiting factor for trips longer than the tank range. Your physical conditioning and your gear are. Long trips on a bike are physiclly and mentally taxing. As your body fatigues so does your mind. Also, don't be afraid to use "stimulants" containing caffiene BUT NO CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. Coffee, Red Bull, Mt Dew...you get the idea. Aaron Franke (a friend of mine) rode his R1 from LA to here in Madison and got an Iron Butt out of it. But the Iron Butt people thought less of his use of Red Bull so they revolked his "award"... I believe he actually said "fuck them, they can have it back" ...anyway my point is you're going to do a ride that is easily done...if you take your time and do it right. Ride smart and you'll have a fun trip.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info. Thanks, guys. I figured the SV would do well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
long trip

longest trip i took was from North Georgia(where i live) to the southwestern most part of colorado. I had the stock seat which didn'thelp but wasn't THAT bad. I would have earplugs or better yet-an mp3 player because it gets boring!ummm-might carry some chainlube with you and a tire patch kit and air ina bottle. Other then that-drink a lot take brakes-stretch-you'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Budge said:
I was thinking about riding from Sacramento to Las Vegas on Sunday. The trip should take 10-12 hours. Has anyone ridden their SV for this duration of time or longer? Any problems? Or, did the SV perform like a champ (as it always does).

Thanks,
Peter
10-12 hours is a regular sunday ride for me, covering 500 miles+

my Sv still performs like a champ, even with 101k. I wouldn't hesitate to take iton a cross country trip tomorrow (with the exception I am on wearbars on my tires and it is also time for chain & sprockets again)

the most I have ever done at once is an Ironbutt Assn. saddlesore1000 * bunburner 1500. Starting in NH, it took me 18½ hours to get to Columbia, SC (1075 miles via the route I took) then another 9 hours and 575 more miles to Port STLucie, FL

check your oil at least every other gas stop, and my only other suggestion is http://www.ldcomfort.com/, it's alsonice to have some kind of throttle lock toshake your hand occasionally, I use a catarpillar o-ring. and if you don't normally wear earplugs, wear them!!

I have stock seat and suspension

And I recomend NOT taking any stimulants more than the normal cup of coffee that you might dring every day.

if you get tired, stop, take a power nap on a picnic table

·
Registered
70 Posts
Long rides earplugs a must have...it just mentally makes the ride seem more comfortable. I always use them on any ride over 70 miles or so.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the SV will be fine but your ass will be as numb as hell

TRICK

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I've ridden to Milwaukee, Virginia Beach, Detroit (twice and never again), and Deal's Gap, TN. All from Columbus,OH and only TN with the Suzuki gel seat. BTW, that seat is GOLD!! My butt was my only sore spot on any of the trips.
Mod. priority list for long distance comfort
1. Gel seat - better than a Corbin or a Sargent and cheaper
2. Throttle Rocker - helps tremendously with wrist fatigue and removes
in seconds. An actual cruise control would be better but they're
somewhat awkward, hard to find for an SV (or any sport bike for that
matter), and even harder to install. Some people have had good luck
with the Catepillar O-ring (see SVRider Tips & Tricks).
3. Ear Plugs - makes for a far less tiresome ride
4. Grips - helps with the hand-numbing vibration
5. Tank Bag - fill it with soft goods (socks, underwear, etc.) and you can
rest your chest on it

·
Registered
235 Posts
RE

I did a 600 mile day last year on my naked '01. My Sargent seat was literally an ass saver - get one! Second mod would be a throttle lock which I didn't have (but wouldn't do a road trip again without one), a windscreen for a naked or a taller one for an SVS. If you do have a SVS then risers or adjustable height clip-ons would make sport-touring WAY more comfortable.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i still have the stock SV seat and after a 400 mile run up north my ass was broken and my hands had almost vibrated them selves off the ends of my arms. i need a gel seat for longer trips, i usually just go out for quick fast blasts on the bike and using it to get arond the place so i never really noticed how hard it is.

TRICK

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Long rides on SV650

I have had a couple of 11 hour runs on my 2001 SV, Midland- Phoenix, Midland- Flagstaff, both about 11 hours on each way, 740 miles or so. I have a wind screen which helps (F15), earplugs, and start early. Keep forearms horizontal, with proper lean, and you don't need to rely on quirky throttle locks. This keep wrists in neutral postion. Riding fast on the lightly travelled interstates is part of the fun.

Last May I rode to Salt Lake City and back, about 1000 miles. Took two days each way. Longest leg was Moab- Midland 792 miles. Yeah, I was sore where my legs meet my butt. If i wanted to arrive fresh I woul have flown SW airlines. The longer rides are fun, challenging, and by their nature on a SV650, memorable. Give one a try, you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I have ridden over 1000 continuous miles only getting off momentarily for gas and one 20 minute eat stop, on the STOCK seat, my butt was not sore, and I will say it again, the difference is what you wear for UNDERWEAR

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have done about 700 miles in a day. most off it was in the rain with my bike only running on one cylinder every so often. The rain sucked, the 700miles was ok. I have a sargent seat and I also wear biker shorts, the spandex things with padding. Without the bike shorts I get cowboy crotch. I've noticed lighter riders don't mind the stock seat, my fatass does. I would also recommend a flyscreen if your bikes nekid. Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
BadMayonaise said:
I have done about 700 miles in a day. most off it was in the rain with my bike only running on one cylinder every so often. The rain sucked, the 700miles was ok. I have a sargent seat and I also wear biker shorts, the spandex things with padding. Without the bike shorts I get cowboy crotch. I've noticed lighter riders don't mind the stock seat, my fatass does. I would also recommend a flyscreen if your bikes nekid. Good luck

700 miles of my Bunburner1500 was in the rain. thank god my front cylinder didn't crap out. although I did have a few moments of carb icing just before dawn in southern tier NY on my way to Binghamton, I could see frost on everything as the sun came up. then again near Fancy Gap,VA, it was foggy and raining and cold..

Electric vest and Heated grips RULE!!

Do the FI models expereince icing of the throttle bodies like carbs?

Carb icing is most when you are puttering along trying to maintain same speed as flow of traffic, the air intake is restricted and it runs like you have the choke on, once you are out of traffic on the open road, the excessivly rich mixture is not as bother some. if it gets so that the mixture is too rich, stopping, shutting the motor off will allow engine heat to transfer to the carbs and melt the frost buildup.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just got back Sunday from a 2500 mile trip on the SV. 15 hours from Ft Lauderdale to N Carolina with a couple of hours riding around Gainesville on the way there. The way back was a 12 hour non-stop day except for gas and lunch. The days in between were constant mountain riding (except one) but with many stops and breaks.

I have the stock seat and I weigh about 230-235 with gear. no problems really for me, the stock seat fits me well. Suspension is upgraded to Penske/Race Tech.

I used an o-ring cruise control, just a regular o-ring from the auto parts store works great. I put a zip tie around it and cut off most of the end to make a little tab to pull it out of the groove easier while riding. The tab gives a little bite into the grip and will hold at a steady speed indefinitely with no bleed off. The size is 7/8" ID, 1 1/4" OD, 3/16" width.

Ear plugs are a must. I put my feet on the back pegs once in a while for a change, and sometimes on the frame sliders. Sometimes I rest my calves on the frame sliders too.

For luggage I used an Emgo top case on a suzuki luggage rack, a medium sized tank bag and a bungee tube on the back seat.

The day I got back we were under a hurricane watch :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
My longest rides were two of ~600 miles. '99 SVS, lowered front, raised rear, harder suspension, race rearsets (1" up and 1" back), stock seat. I had the wife on the back, carried a tank bag and two saddle bags plus she had a small backpack...

About 400 of those miles were on freeway - those were the worst because you just sit there. It helped a lot to get on a smaller, somewhat twisted highway. It was much worse for my wife because the rear seat is really a sorry excuse for itself... Not to mention she had her legs pretty bent (she's 5'8). I got somewhat sore but it wasn't too bad.

My recommandations: Wear proper clothes. I wore full leathers with long underpants underneath. That way the leather can move so your legs don't get stuck on them. Make sure to eat and drink enough, you don't want to get unconcentrated due to hunger or dehydration...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Re: Long rides on SV650

allsven said:
Keep forearms horizontal, with proper lean, and you don't need to rely on quirky throttle locks. This keep wrists in neutral postion.
Neutral wrist angle helps, but some soreness is from the constant grip required against the pressure of the throttle spring, not just the angle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts