Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about starting to take longer trips with the bike (200+ miles). First thing I think I need is more luggage. I have a backpack now, but I'd like to get some saddle bags, tail bag, and a tank bag. Any suggestions on what's the best out there, as far as quality at a reasonable price? I've been looking at the JR stuff, only cause everything else I have is JR. But it seems like the price is higher than other brands.

And if there's anything else that would help on longer trips (cruise control, different handlebars), please tell me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i'd recommend a tail and saddle bags (assuming you dont have a high mount). backpacks just get annoying for a long trip. a tank bag is a nice thing to lean on too for long trips.

wear bicycle shorts under your leathers/jeans for added padding and at the very least get a throttle rocker for $7 or something.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ASCSurveyor-- What stranger said. Tail and tank bags make a nice combo. The backpack will end up killing your shoulders, neck, and upper back after a few hours... At the very least, bungee net that sucker to your pillion seat.

For cheap, quality luggage, check out the Fieldsheer closeouts at www.brocktoncycle.com

I have the FS Rio saddlebag/tailbag combo (now both for under $100) but use the saddlebags very infrequently.

Proper clothing enhances enjoyment of long rides immensely. I used to get tired from being battered by wind when I wore a textile jacket that flapped around some. The perfed leather jacket/pant combo I run now cuts right through the wind which really makes riding that much more enjoyable for me. The padded bicycle shorts are good if you and your seat don't get along. There are options for aftermarket seats (Sargent, Corbin, OEM gel).

What bothered you the most after your previous longest ride? Wrists? Back? Other? Make a change or modification here and ride again.

HTH

p.s. I have found that ear plugs are critical to remaining mentally alert during long rides. YMMV.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just came back from a 3 day ride recently, averaging just under 500 miles/ day. Some observations:

On tank bags and luggage, even if you think "oh it's tight enough" - double check it. Very annoying to have straps come loose and stuff shifting around.

I paid $59+shipping for a set of Fieldsheer Rio saddlebags from Brockton Cycle. +1 for the integrated rain covers. Rode 30mi through a thunderstorms and things stayed dry. Some seepage is expected, so garbage bags are a good idea to take along.

If you have high mount exhausts you're basically screwed, most sidebags won't have the clearance to fit. Your option is a tailbag.

On sidebags, place a towel (I used a non-slip drawer liner) on the tail section before attaching the bags. Otherwise you will find some nice scratches on your bodywork at the end of the trip.

Also, tape or cushion the rearsets. I found out the hard way that the lower edge of the bags will wear away the paint on them simply by rubbing against them. Fold DOWN the passenger pegs, or they will poke into the bottom of the saddlebags each time you go over a bump.

Throttle Rocker, or some sort of cruise control +1, unless you like pulling in the clutch on descents and shaking some life back into your right hand.

Don't park on a sidehill, unless you're strong enough to straighten your bike with all the extra weight of the luggage. Good weight training. Ugghh!

Gravel baaaad, pavement gooood!

Even on a naked, my neck was getting a pinched nerve by day's end. Stop and stretch often. Risers or heli-bars will definitely make it easier.

A flyscreen on the naked is good to about 85, above that things get pretty windy. On the S, a touring screen or double bubble and lowers will reduce fatigue. Some folks use frame sliders as "highway pegs". Those with long inseams will want to stop and stretch the knees and lower backs.

A small Camelbak rocks! Nice to have water to drink on the move.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a TourMaster Tail bag that has the option of saddlebags. The main bag is nice and big, with inside pockets for little stuff and comes with a rain cover. Hooks to the back with built-in, hideable bungie cords. No problems with it, the quality is great.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use a Toumaster tank bag for longer trips-- not the small bag, but the larger one.  I use it not only for more stuff, but also to rest on.

People have already listed the usual suspects for the tail so I'll not bore you on that.

Have fun.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
the key to a long day in the saddle is your underwear, bike shorts as previously mentioned, or something from www.ldcomfort.com

you have an S, some different clipons a bit higher might be more comfortable good raingear, expecially overboots to keep your feet dry, TP in a ziplock.

stuff sacks bungeed to the back & saddlebags

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yellow Nudist said:
You need that kind of luggage for a 200 mile ride? :eek:

FWIW, I carry a large tank bag and tail bag every time I roll out of the garage. Over half of the available storage space is filled with a rain cover, extra clothing (rain suit, nylon windshirt, rain gloves, sunglasses, etc.) tools, and extra/spare parts. Haven't personally had the need to make any substantial fixes on the road (all hail the mighty SV!), but I can't count how many times I've been able to bail another stranded rider or driver out of a little jam just by having basic parts and tools on me...

Homey hates calling friends for a bail-out ride home worse than he hates walking...

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I should have said a little more about the bike.  It's stock.  No mods whatsoever, except for the new GPS mount I got a few days ago.  But that's on my mirror trunk, so doesn't really affect anything.

Anyway, my plan is to go down to the Outer Banks for a weekend.  Leave Saturday morning, come back on Sunday.  It's about a 2-3 hour ride, from what I remember from a drive I did about a year ago.  Should be good to test out a longer ride for me.  Longest I've been on yet has only lasted about 100 miles.  I plan on getting a throttle rocker, since my hand already goes numb from a ride of about 40 miles.  (I've tried all the other stuff, not leaning on my hand, changing position of thumb, etc.)

My main goal is to ride back to my home town in Western New York by fall.  In my truck, Yorktown, VA to Cuba, NY is 522 miles.  I maped it quick on the bike, avoiding all interstates, comes out to be a little less than 500.  I figured on a 2 day ride, since I'm not that experienced in long trips on the bike.  Yeah, 200+ would be alot for me, Nudist. ;) And... it's an SV.  Not really made for touring.

Looks like tour master is the big winner here.  Heat shields on the bottom of the saddle bags, and rub protection too.  Modular system for the tail bag and saddle bags, and the tank bag looks pretty big.  And for the price, I just can't beat it.  I guess JR just makes you pay for the name.

Thanks for all the info guys.  If anyone thinks of anything else I might need, chime in.  When I get closer to my big trip, I'll be sure to post the plans.

Y

·
0 Posts
ASCSurveyor said:
 Yeah, 200+ would be alot for me, Nudist.   ;)  And... it's an SV.  Not really made for touring.
I did about 280 miles yesterday with a Camel Bak, a danish, and a pack of cigarettes.

My longest day on my SV was about 740 miles, and that had a backpack with some more food and a couple of tools.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yellow Nudist said:
I did about 280 miles yesterday with a Camel Bak, a danish, and a pack of cigarettes. 

My longest day on my SV was about 740 miles, and that had a backpack with some more food and a couple of tools.
Oh... who's that singer... Bonnie Tyler! (these are editted of course)

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the end of the night
She's gotta be strong
And she's gotta be fast
And she's gotta be fresh from the fight

·
Registered
622 Posts
;D
Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where?s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?

Isn?t there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a hero
I'm holding out for at hero 'till the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero
I?m holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He?s gotta be sure
And it?s gotta be soon
And he?s gotta be larger than life
Lager than life

Doo doo doo doooo
Doo doo doo doooo
Doo doo doo doooo
Aaahhh
Aaahhh

Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There?s someone reaching back for me

Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It?s gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet

I need a hero
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I?m holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He?s gotta be sure
And it?s gotta be soon
And he?s gotta be larger than life

I need a hero
I'm holding out for at hero 'till the the end of the night

---------

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear there is someone somewhere
Watching me

Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like a fire in my blood

I need a hero
He?s gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I need a hero
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'till the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And he's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

I need a hero

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have done quite a few long trips the longest being 2200 miles in 3 days... as for luggage i use a tank bag and a dry kayak bag attached with a cargo net and 2 bungees... its gotta be the cheapest waterproof bag i came across and you can pack enough clothes in for a week and a spare helmet.

if ya want something cheap and easy check them out here.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0230/Sealine-Baja-Dry-Bags.html

1 - 20 of 31 Posts