Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the inconvenience of having to constantly add oil to the gas or oil injection tank, anybody got any input on taking long trips on a 2-stroke? More specifically, a late model RGV/NSR/TZR250.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was mostly worried about the noise and reliability. Anybody done long trips?

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I had another choice, I'd avoid the 2-stroke. Having said that, I know many long trips were taken in the 60s and 70s on 2-stroke bikes :)

Thankfully, I have two very good alternatives to my 77 RD400.

boardsNbikes
05 FJR1300, 03 SV650S, 77 RD400

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Long trip[s as in what??? 100 miles? 500 miles? 2000 miles? Me... on my 78 RD400 I'd be good for a few hundred miles. After reaching 200 miles in a day though... I'm toast. The reliability of the scoot is awesome. No issues at all... When I do ride it, it was always 100+ miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I read a big article about 2sroke machines burning out on long jurneys because people would pin the throttle open all the time without letting off every now and again. Depending on what your 2stoke was designed for, take it easy and put a bit of variation in the throttle or you might damage the engine.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Here is the one big problem with 2 strokes, and the one you need to be concerned with on a long trip.

These engines do NOT like to be held at a constant RPM for long stretches of time. They have a tendency to self destruct if you do not alter the throttle position. Just make sure that you don't drone along at highway speeds at a constant rpm for a long time and you will be fine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
hey

I did 8 hours on way and then 8 hours back on a 50cc 2-stroke, non-stop except for gas and oil, I added a little extra oil in the gas on top of the auto mix oil.

went 35-40 the entire way, no problems before or after the ride.

Q

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm taking a UK tour with my parents (postponed from this past spring due to my grandfather's passing) next spring, hopefully including the IOM TT. My idea is, rather than shipping my bike (huge hassle and fairly pricey) or renting (still pricey but reasonable), I want to buy something over there and ship it home. I'm not really concerned about getting it registered as it will primarily be a track bike with the occasional "outlaw) ride. I'm thinking Honda RVF400 or Kawasaki ZX4 in the 400's or a Suzuki RGV250 or Honda NSR250 ring-ding. Might also consider Cagiva Mito as well. It might only be 125 but a Lawson replica would be sweet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
QfactorSV said:
hey

I did 8 hours on way and then 8 hours back on a 50cc 2-stroke, non-stop except for gas and oil, I added a little extra oil in the gas on top of the auto mix oil.

went 35-40 the entire way, no problems before or after the ride.

Q
Where were you riding that you could go 35-40 for 8 hours?   :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts