Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends
I'm noob to this forum, but a busy beaver on some others. I hope to shortly buy a gently-used SV650 [driven by a little ole granny only to church on sundays] and turn it into my adventure bike project.

Wondering who on here has knowledge of long-travel forks, high-mount fender, other things to do this. The SV650 naked is so well-done, accidentally or otherwise, that it won't take much to make it a very capable all-terrain kind of bike that can be ridden cross-country, up and down the trails of the continental divide, whatever.

thx
z

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i wanted to throw some wire/lace wheels on my sv. street tires and everything else, but lace none the less. the only thing short of customs wheels that i saw that might come semi- close to fitting are the wheels off that new dzfrhgj450 off road thing suzuki made. i think the lace wheels would look pretty tight on the sv.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Is it that time again?

It's a matter of great sadness to me that that's a photochop... Fairing's genuine, though.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Northwind said:
Is it that time again?

It's a matter of great sadness to me that that's a photochop... Fairing's genuine, though.
damn you :mad: damn you and your teasin' photoshop. I about gooched for a minute. I guess I should've noticed the front drum brake :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
If anybody figures out how to mount spoked wheels, I must know.

Northwind, I take back the damn yous :-*
would you make me a blue naked 1st gen with spoked wheels. I need a new screen saver ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd contact Jeff at East Coast Wheels. He laced a set of HArley rims to some KZ hubs I had for a project. He makes custom wheels and could possibly point you in the proper direction.

LT Dan

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there waz an sv all black with spoke wheels on ebay
a long time ago anyone rember it?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys ever had a bike with spoked wheels? What a PITA- cleaning, truing, tightening- and you can't even run decent rubber. IMO, it looks better in a photo than it would in the garage...

:)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nc ... agree they are a pain to keep tidy, but offroad they bend, but don't break very easily.

I'm planning to buy a used SV, then completely remove the front end and replace with enduro front. I have a picture stashed that's my "goal".... some guy, I think in Europe, that did the front and backend, it looks wicked and is truly a "go anywhere" bike.

you might wonder why I don't go V-strom instead: I have a V-strom 650 now, and it convinced me to do the SV project !!!!! I shed 60 useless, pointless pounds going to the SV.... and get the same beautiful engine/tranny. the cam in the V-strom IS more useful, but I figure I can learn the SV and use sprockets to help mitigate the violence. violent throttles on loose rock is not a pretty thing!!

z

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zapp22 said:
"...nc ... agree they are a pain to keep tidy, but offroad they bend, but don't break  very easily..."
True, true. Sorry- we wandered a bit from the original topic. I've often wondered what a naked V-strom might be like. Maybe now that BMW is building some models than are more functional / less SUV-ish we'll see a response from the land of the rising sun.

:)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sibling V-Strom is difficult to strip... that is, and have it very useful afterward. The side covers and tank are fitted together in a "only do it this way" fashion: the tank is asymmetrical. The instrument panel is kinda large and clunky and sticks out of the front end way too far.... and, you just have no choice but to axe the whole thing if you're planning to strip., Which all brings you back to this topic: one is better served to just start with an SV-naked and go from there. The one thing the Strom has going for it... is a good rear end. The rear end can handle most any ordinary dirt road... the front is not so. good street front, lousy for dirt. The ground clearance stock is only about 7" or so to the lowest-hanging member, and you GOTTA protect with a bash plate.

one member of the ADVrider forum put XR400 43mm forks on his V-strom, changed the springs and valves and so forth and says it does an ok job. he left all the upper tupperware alone. All that stuff is just waiting to get broke in the first lovely crash

z

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zapp-

Check this out. I remember seeing this years ago, back in 2001. This guy was able to do it, so I don't see why you couldn't. I hope this helps. Not sure if the picture will come through. If not, do a search on the forum using "off-road" as the keyword. The photo and the original write-up is located under Extreme Photos - 2. Good luck.

Ciao Rob !

SV650 Off Road in Actions during Italian Baja last month. Rider Gaspare Momesso. Also i am going to sell the entire kit for enduro : $ 1900
This kit include the following parts:

Front wheels complete of disk brake and special axel ( 21 inch )
Front fork Marzocchi Magnum 45 (tr.TU Gold)
Home made aluminum alloy triple clamp ( very expensive labor )
Brake system complete ( Nissing )
Rear Shock Absorber with spring
Rear brake system complete of aluminum brake support ( home made )
Rear wheels complete of disk brake and special axel and rear sprocket spacer ( 18 inch )
Left and right footpad with aluminum support and links ( very expensive labor )
Aluminum seat support
Aluminum battery support including special extra light powerful battery (KTM Yuasa )
Seat and rear fender ( Husaberg )
Front and rear sprockets ( 14 / 50 ) including Regina gold OR chain 420
2 link for rear arm
Chain guard
Carbonium/Kevlar Gas tank ( 7.5 liters )
Carbonium Silencer ( very loud )
Hand Guard and front light
Skid Plate
All of the above is used and was installed on the SV 650 in the Pictures.

LT Dan

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:D DANSV
RIGHT ON my man!
That's the picture I'm wanting to fulfill.

the notes underneath: I remember that same writeup... saw before somewhere sometime.
How do I contact that guy? in Italy? I'll try to find the forum post as you prescribe

Zapp

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dan or other
i'm searching, but can't find that message :-X [the original]. anyone know a website or way to contact those Italian folk??

zapp

·
Registered
42 Posts
WOW when I get a dirtbike, that is the one I want! $1900 will turn an SV into a dirtbike? If I find one with front end damage cheap would I be back in business with this kit? If so I am surprised this is not more common! I guess it would be a heavy dirtbike. How does the suspension hold up over time?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a PURE dirtbike, yes heavy. As a Dual/sport/Adventure bike it would be awesome if the seat could be altered/hybrid so you can stand to ride 600 miles to the fun stuff. That is sort of the tantalizing thing about the V-strom, except that when you get off onto dirt its way too heavy and stiff and short on the frontend.
The chopped-up SV650 would be in a manageable weight range, and if it had a more strom-like seat, and a quick-detachable windshield for highway bugs, you're set

z

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you go to the home page, www.svrider.com, then click on photo archives. It will give you the option for general or EXTREME photos, pick EXTREME. Once there, go to EXTREME PHOTOS - 2, scroll down a bit and there will be the original post. The guy's name is in orange, if you click on it, that will be his email address. Hope you get a hold of him. I live in Italy right now, if I see him around, I'll get his number, Ha-Ha.

LT Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts