Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets last week - well, almost...

(One of the bolts for the clip-ons apparently got away from me - serves me right for opening the package a week before actually getting a chance to install the stuff... Also I need to install my SS lines up front and fit the pressure switch banjo bolt for the rear...)

Going from a naked with stock bars and pegs to clip-ons and rearsets is quite a change. Unfortunately I can't really ride it until I get a replacement bolt (which Mr. Woodcraft insists are "available anywhere"). I plan on stopping by Austin Bolt Company in the morning...

Anyway, I used blue loctite on pretty much every fastener on the rearsets (since the clip-ons brackets are plastic I figured it wouldn't be effective...) but not the shifter rod (connects the pedal to the gearbox). On the ride home (I did the work at my brother's house), the rod fell out of one side, leaving my pedal dangling in the breeze. Fortunately it was on a quiet residential street.

Should I put loctite on the shifter rod? The only reason I didn't do so initially is because I don't see how you can really get the rod removed if you have to, since it has a round cross-section, and not hexagonal... Seems like it would be really hard to get a good enough grip with pliers to break it free.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Is there enough thread showing to put jam nuts on there ? That's what I wound up doing when I put my rearset plates on. FWIW, blue loctite is removable. Not sure how tough it would be to break loose if you blue-gooed the shifter rod, but it would come off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Without anything for a spanner to grab onto, it might be difficult to get off again.
perhaps a tiny drop of blue loctite?

then if you need to remove it, try wrapping a rag around the rod and gripping with pliers.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jam nuts seem pretty useless as far as being used to keep the rod in place.

The problem is that one end of the rod is reverse-threaded. Rotating the rod in one direction loosens BOTH ends, and rotating it the other direction tightens BOTH ends. The jam nuts will keep it from tightening, but not from loosening...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just used the jam nuts from the stock shifter rod. It has never come loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts