Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to secure your bike with a lock?

Cable, Chain, U-Lock, Cuffs?

And how would you route the lock?

Front Wheel, Frame, Rear Wheel,...?

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
As some members would say. It's not IF the theives will take your bike, it's HOW LONG will it take them.
The more security you have the harder it will be to steal. But either way it'll probably still be stealable.

If you can park it indoors somewhere, like a garage or whatever, that is your best bet.
Even then you can chain it to something that ain't gunna move even under the power of god somewhere in your garage.
I think they make some kind of a diskboot or something you can lock onto one of your wheels.

Alarm...although I'm not a fan of them. They are usually more annoying then helpful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In summary for those that don't click the other link:

Master for the lock - rotary style.

Kryptonite for the chain - square links

best if used in conjunction with a disc lock.

Thanks All!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
StinkWhistle said:
In summary for those that don't click the other link:

Master for the lock - rotary style.

Kryptonite for the chain - square links

best if used in conjunction with a disc lock.

Thanks All!
I have 3 chains (1 square link) thru my rear rim and those are run thru 1 chain and 1 kyrpto cable that go around a 40' palm tree. After a year I still think my bike won't be in the parking lot when I wake up but so far it has been. BTW I live in a 2nd floor appartment. :)

·
The Well-Leathered Mod
4,614 Posts
All of the above.
If you dont want it stolen, bolt it to the ground, immobilze the wheels, get an alarm, etc etc etc.

Or, put a couple anti-theft things on it, and park it beside a Gixxer. In the morning, the Gixxer will be gone, but your bike will still be there.
Its kindof like running from a bear. You dont outrun the bear. You just outrun the other guy.

·
Registered
476 Posts
u link through front tire (around one spoke and thru both discs)
cable lock through frame to immovable object
dirty/ratty/beat-to-hell pvc plastic cover
talk with your neighbors about suspicious activity

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At home is all good. Always garaged. And locally I never really go anywhere "risky" or have the bike out of site more than a quick pop into a store (I know it doesn't take long but I am conscious of the risk). I take the cage for longer stuff.

I started this thread because I am going to Tahoe this weekend and the bike will be spending two nights at a motel....I am a little worried.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hotel? Get a disc lock with a motion alarm and try to get a room where you can park near your window. At least if you hear it, you can go check on it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hit it all over with a hammer.

Paint it bright pink.

Put "I love Hillary Duff" stickers all over it.

Because I didn't want to do all of that, I got a Kryptonite "New York Fahgettaboudit" 5 foot chain and disc lock. If I can't lock the bike to something like a lamp post or tree, I'll run the chain through the rear wheel and subframe. This way the thieves will have to cut through the wheel or the subframe to steal the bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abe Froman said:
Hit it all over with a hammer.

Paint it bright pink.

Put "I love Hillary Duff" stickers all over it.
OMG, that reminds me. I'll submit some pics....you'll know when you see'em!

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Wonder how strong the ignition key fork lock is...   Feels like yanking the handlebar to the right good and hard would break it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts